Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 07, 2007 10:41
I' m shocked by this. The game runs on the same engine as Chaos Theory [UE2.5] and yet the on PS3 it manages to look far worse than the 360 version?

I don' t get it.

IGN insider has a head-to-head comparison HERE

IGN explains that in some scenes there are items missing and fewer people onscreen in the Prison level and that the framerate is bad etc. If you' re an Insider it' s worth a look.

A couple of things to note about the comparison screens below:

• Missing or severely reduced specular highlights
  • Flat lighting
  • Suffers from overbright
  • Desaturated colours
  • Lower texture resolution (see American flag on the guys arm in the second shot]
  • Weak bump mapping

Now this isn' t about one being " better" than the other, this is about the game being a lame fucking port.

There' s nothing in the 360 version that can not be done or excelled on PS3. Hell, both consoles are capable of far far more than what we saw in Double Agent on 360. The game uses an old [and well documented] engine, one that really came into it' s own running on Xbox' s GeForce 3. So why would the PS3 port suffer so drastically i don' t hear you ask...

The problem has arisen in the games code. We know for a fact that porting from 360/PC to PS3 is tricky, but we also know that with effort [Oblivion], not only can it be done but it can be done exceptionally well.

The 360 game looked great. Not amazing, but great nonetheless. The PS3 version falls graphically between the Xbox Chaos Theory and 360 Double Agent. There' s too much difference for it to be called " almost identical" , and i' d probably go as far as to say the PS3 version, because of the terrible framerate, is simply ugly.

But it' s not the hardware. It' s the fact that to get the game to look like the 360 version or better the team would have had to recode more than 60% of the games code. Mapping values would have to be re-dialled for every surface, lighting would have to be adjusted for every light source, texture maps would have to be re-done etc etc etc...

So what we have is a really sub-par port of a game that' s been available in a superior form for months, and they' re asking you to pay full price.

Like i said, it' s simply an awful port, but it makes me wonder how the graphically awesome [on 360] Rainbow Six: Vegas and GRAW2 will fare...

I don' t suppose anybody is picking, or has already picked this up on PS3 have they?
    < Message edited by NITRO -- 7 Apr 07 2:41:27 >
  • Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 07, 2007 10:53
    I' m really dissapointed with the job that was done. I agree with everything you said, and I think they should be ashamed to sell this at full price and advertise it as a complete next gen title on the ps3.

I was considering picking it up back before I saw the review and screens of it, but when I looked at em a few days I was appalled. There is no way I will ever pick this game up.
    Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 07, 2007 10:55
    We won' t stop seeing shit ports like this before the PS3 has a userbase worth the effort of re-coding games. I' m sure by late next year the PS3 will take off.
    Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 07, 2007 11:02

Like i said, it' s simply an awful port, but it makes me wonder how the graphically awesome [on 360] Rainbow Six: Vegas and GRAW2 will fare...

If they manage to screw up these two fantastic games I would be a very pissed off PS3 owner.
    Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 07, 2007 11:17

ORIGINAL: Duffman

If they manage to screw up these two fantastic games I would be a very pissed off PS3 owner.

Well for now they deserve the benefit of the doubt. 3 different teams and 3 different engines will result in 3 different levels of quality.

Vegas is being handled by Montreal and GRAW2 by Paris, and both teams are far better than Shanghai, Montreal especially.

There are highlight-able areas where the game could potentially fall down but they' re not worth going into until we' ve seen more of the games.
    QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 08, 2007 07:22
    Sony got served.
    immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 08, 2007 08:02

Sony got served.

UbiSoft blew the big one.
    Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 08, 2007 08:22
    The game sucks ass, I played it for about 30 minutes on X360, worst waste of $60 ever.

The whole novelty of it wore off after 15 minutes, the game makes me yawn.
    < Message edited by Evil Man -- 8 Apr 07 0:24:09 >
    SpaceJase

• Total Posts : 170
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 08, 2007 08:45
    Ports of 360 games are likely to be commonplace until the PS3 gets a decent installed userbase. This one does look exceptionally crap though.

The PS3 could do without shoddyness like this right now.
    ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 08, 2007 09:09
    I played the 360 demo and couldn' t stand the vsync problems.
    < Message edited by ginjirou -- 8 Apr 07 1:09:43 >
    SpaceJase

• Total Posts : 170
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 08, 2007 09:28
    Vsync not enabled? This game doesn' t interest me enough to even download the demo but the whole vsync issue on 360 games is a joke - I' d hoped it would stop happening after the first gen games - total lack of quality control on Microsoft' s part IMO. Releasing games with vsync disabled should not be allowed to happen.
    Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
    RE: Splinter Cell: Double Agent next-gen comparison - Apr 08, 2007 09:45
    Its an Ubisoft game? pfft, Us Nintendo Wii owners are used to crappy (ps2) ports from Ubi. No big deal.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
    • New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll