Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Shenmue: a misunderstood game
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 65
vanswa garbutt

• Total Posts : 412
RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 06, 2004 18:10
shenmue.......hmmmm.........
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 06, 2004 18:20
I don' t know how many songs Yuzo Koshiro composed for either game, but going by his somewhat familiar style there were maybe just a handful of themes that seemed to have his familiar touch... One theme in particular was in the original Shenmue when Ryo went to borrow that guy' s motorcycle to go rescue Nazomi... The music during that who scene of him asking for the bike just screamed Koshiro to me. I could definitely be wrong, which I usually am, lol...
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 06, 2004 21:08
I have the OST somewhere... if only I could find it. It tells of each song and its composer.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 06, 2004 23:19

I agree. Why compare a good game to a dreadfully boring game? I almost fell asleep during disc one of Final Fantasy 7.

Hmmm...seems the entire critic community disagrees, seeing as how FF VII is not only widely considered to be the greatest RPG ever made, but seems to easily crack the top 10 list of any and all " Best Games Ever" created by any publication/site. Funny...Shenmue rarely appears on even the top 100........scratch that, it never does.

You were bored because you apparently have ADD and can' t sit still for very long unless the game is accompanied by constantly flashing lights and the need for button jamming. Ain' t my fault.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 00:35
Best RPG of all time? Not at all...It did introduce to the masses a totally new experience for RPG players and brought RPG' s into the mainstream but it' s most definately NOT the best RPG ever. The story was meh and the combat system was meh. I could see where it would land on top 10 lists all the time just for what it did for RPG gaming but not because it' s the best RPG ever.

I see Shenmue in the same light. Was it the best game ever...no, but it did do a lot of things that haven' t been done before.
< Message edited by yoshimitsu15 -- 9/7/2004 12:35:31 AM >
Regret in 2010

• Total Posts : 106
RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 01:02
honestly, who really cares how many songs that cracker did? Shenmue is not the only interactive game out there, what makes it so special? and why do u care about how many times u wipe in the game? u can do that in real life and it wouldnt make any difference other than saving money on electricity. also, final fantasy VII was a famous game and Shenmue wasnt as famous, but they both, in their own ways, stink (yes, i am referring to the butt-wiping). and anyways, final fantasy VII wasnt the only famous FF game out there. im wondering why u stuck on that one?
< Message edited by Jonah Shoemaker -- 9/7/2004 1:05:57 AM >
yoshimitsu15

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 02:50

honestly, who really cares how many songs that cracker did? Shenmue is not the only interactive game out there, what makes it so special? and why do u care about how many times u wipe in the game? u can do that in real life and it wouldnt make any difference other than saving money on electricity. also, final fantasy VII was a famous game and Shenmue wasnt as famous, but they both, in their own ways, stink (yes, i am referring to the butt-wiping). im wondering why u stuck on that one?and anyways, final fantasy VII wasnt the only famous FF game out there.

I' ve taken somewhat of a great disliking to you just from reading your first few posts. Maybe it' s your failed attempts at humor or just the overall quality of your posts...I don' t know. Well...now to dissecting what you said...

honestly, who really cares how many songs that cracker did?

The " cracker" ' s name is Yuzo Koshiro. Now I may be out of touch with my racial slangs here but I do believe the man is of Asian descent thus preventing him being the aforementioned " cracker" . Some say ignorance is bliss...is it Jonah?

Shenmue is not the only interactive game out there, what makes it so special?

True...most games are interactive...maybe you do have some intelligence since you seemed to pick that up right off the bat. However I think what everyone is talking about is the LEVEL of interactivity, which at the time of the original' s release it was something to be marveled.

and why do u care about how many times u wipe in the game? u can do that in real life and it wouldnt make any difference other than saving money on electricity.

Did you even play the game? Everyone in this thread acknowledged that what Joe said was fiction. Now you come in and use it for one of your points for your argument...which right now doesn' t seem so good.

also, final fantasy VII was a famous game and Shenmue wasnt as famous, but they both, in their own ways, stink

That was a great, and I want to strive GREAT reason for why Final Fantasy 7 and Shenmue are bad...they simply stink...why didn' t we all think of this earlier?

(yes, i am referring to the butt-wiping)

Uh oh...I think we have a comedian on our hands. You are just TOO funny for me.

and anyways, final fantasy VII wasnt the only famous FF game out thereim wondering why u stuck on that one?

Man...I swear you are too good. You see this is a thread where people respond to one another. Final Fantasy 7 was mentioned...hence the reason you see it in the thread. I personally like Final Fantasy X better than all of the FF games. But thanks anyway on the info that there is more than one FF game out there...
Joe Redifer

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 03:08

Hmmm...seems the entire critic community disagrees...

And I should care what critics say in regards to games I like/dislike because....?

You were bored because you apparently have ADD and can' t sit still for very long unless the game is accompanied by constantly flashing lights and the need for button jamming.

I wonder how I made it through Shenmue 1 and 2 (multiple times), Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 4, Vermilion, Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holy Ark, Skies of Arcadia, Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellius, and others. I was bored with Final Fantasy 7 because I was playing the " role" of a whiny teenager who had ZERO interesting character aspects running around in a game with a boring storyline and scratchy, edgy music. Yes, Tales of Symphonia had a whiny teenager as well. But at least the rest of the game was somewhat interesting. Tha game isn' t really an RPG, it' s more of a puzzle game with a story and a whiny teenager.

Ain' t my fault.

' fraid it is, bub.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 9/7/2004 3:10:56 AM >
Regret in 2010

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 03:17
no i did not play the game. i have never had an interest in the game and i think its safe to say i still dont and never will. i never read that carefully, so if everyone acknowledged something i very obviously missed it. so? and " cracker" is the term I use whenever im talking about someone i dont really give a shit about. now do u think my choice of terms work? ive said it before... ask questions before u talk shit, fucktart. yes i am blissful, but thats probly cause of the pot i smoked an hour ago.

And whats up with the happy faces? they dont really do anything for ur writing you know
fathoms

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 03:17
yoshi: At last check, 6 of 10 major gaming publications (print and online) actually do rank FF VII as the best RPG of all time, 9 of 10 put it in the top 10 games of all time, and all 10 put it in the top 10 RPG' s of all time. This is generally the way it is viewed, regardless of what we say here. That' s all.

Joe: Gee...........the vast majority of those games (all, I think, save for one or two) are real-time. Thanks for proving my point.

And may I ask, how long did you play FF VII for?
< Message edited by fathoms -- 9/7/2004 3:18:16 AM >
yoshimitsu15

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 03:30
Well if they do they are very foolish. I dislike " all time" since new RPG' s come out every year. I guess that' s the reason why I don' t read many magazines anymore...
Joe Redifer

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 03:38

This is generally the way it is viewed, regardless of what we say here. That' s all.

Again... who cares? Not me. I still don' t like the game. Never will.

Joe: Gee...........the vast majority of those games (all, I think, save for one or two) are real-time.

Obviously we have learned that you cannot count. I listed 3 Phantasy Star games. Which one is " real time" ? Also, if you consider games like Tales of Symponia and Sword of Vermilion " real time" and look down upon them for the sake of this argument, then you must be saying that it' s the menu driven battles that make the RPG. Your point remains unproven.

And may I ask, how long did you play FF VII for?

I want to say maybe about 7 or 8 hours or so.
fathoms

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 03:49
yoshi: THEY are " foolish" ? Since when have you been an RPG connisseaur?

Joe: You listed a lot of games. The only ones that were turn-based were the PS games. ToS is a hybrid much the same way SO 3 is a hybrid.

And 7 or 8 hours, huh? Of a 40-50 hour game? Yes, well, I' ll make sure to take your opinion on this game as gospel.
Joe Redifer

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 03:53
My opinion that the game is boring? You bet you will! Why would I continue to play a boring game?

Skies of Arcadia is not a turn based game? wow. And I swear Shining the Holy Ark was turn based. Oh well. Since you know what you' re talking about I' ll just figure that I only dreamed that those games were turn based.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 9/7/2004 3:56:09 AM >
fathoms

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 13:17
Let' s see......10 games there? 7 are real-time.

I also find it funny that FF VII was " boring" while SoA, which was very similar was...what? Stimulating?

SoA sucked, IMO. No challenge whatsoever.
Russian Mobster

• Total Posts : 357
RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 18:29
Shenmue 1 was awesome i beat the game 3 times.

I got the XBOX To play shenmue 2 but never got the game because HALO took over my life.

I think that Final Fantasy is one of the most boring games ever made.All u do is read and pick things to do from menues.Its the same thing as using these forums.
fathoms

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 19:28

I think that Final Fantasy is one of the most boring games ever made.All u do is read and pick things to do from menues.Its the same thing as using these forums.

You' ve made quite a few retarded posts in the past...but each one somehow manages to top the last in terms of sheer stupidity.
Joe Redifer

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 19:32
I love how Fathoms resorts to directly insulting other members when people don' t like the same games he does. It speaks volumes.

Anyway, back to Shenmue. Did anyone ever notice that Ryo can get a Saturn so he can play Space Harrier, Hang-On and Out Run at his house? Wow. The Saturn existed in 1984, BEFORE the Sega Mega Drive!
Regret in 2010

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 22:17

lol

You' ve made quite a few retarded posts in the past...but each one somehow manages to top the last in terms of sheer stupidity.

Why is that retarded? he can say what he wants about the game. not all people have your patience level. and if its the forum comment, maybe hes just in it for the free video game.
yoshimitsu15

RE: Shenmue: a misunderstood game - Sep 07, 2004 23:32

yoshi: THEY are " foolish" ? Since when have you been an RPG connisseaur?

Oh I forget there can only be one " expert" on things in this forum...

I' ve played the majority of the FF games and I' ve beaten several other RPG' s. Final Fantasy 7 isn' t even the best thing from Square, let alone from any developer. Just because I don' t play RPG' s much anymore (due to time issues) doesn' t mean I haven' t played my share in the past. Like I said before Final Fantasy 7 did a lot of things for RPG' s back when it came out but it shouldn' t be confused as one of the best RPG' s of all time.

Honestly...what qualities does it offer up that are better than every RPG game out today?
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 65

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message