Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 18, 2004 02:36
http://217.153.29.18/%7Emichal/dec/usa/sega.mpeg

This commercial was from the old Sega of America

This is my favorite gaming commercial of ALL time. Actually there was another one just like this one except that it also had brief footage of the original Phantasy Star showing a scene of a winged horse flying to a castle in the sky, that commercial was the BEST ever in my opinion. The music in this commercial which was also the same in the other commercial is Awesome! I have NEVER forgotten this theme. These commercials just ooozed with ENERGY and got me extremely hyped about getting a Master System, hehe..

This is the type of commercial I was begging, praying Sega to do during the Dreamcast era, lol.. You advertise the system and Multiple games at the same time, unlike the strategy they used in spending millions to create CG ads to advertise games individually.

Joe should like this commercial below
http://217.153.29.18/%7Emichal/dec/usa/sega-3d.mpeg
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 10/18/2004 7:26:20 AM >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 18, 2004 04:11
I remember those commercials like the back of my hand! Probably because I' d tape them and watch them again and again and again, though I seem to remember the guy saying " the ONLY two player Double Dragon" . I love how the moron plugs the cartridge in to the already powered up Sega System and doesn' t even push the cart down. It was commercials like those that made me by a Sega System (later to be known as the Sega Master System). Sega' s commercials were way better than Nintendo' s Zelda commercials with some retarded moron yelling " Octarocks!!!!" . I thought that kid was going to have a seizure. Better stay away from Nintendo.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 18, 2004 12:09
That was from a time when Sega was more confident in themselves...and it showed!

I really liked the commercials from the Sega Saturn that ended with the superfast version of a person yelling " SEGA!!!"

I still remember the demo disc that came with the Saturn...that dude with his head wrenching in just about every direction with special effects going on in both the fore and back-grounds.

That was so cool!!!

No matter what happens, I will always cherish my old school Sega games.
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 10/18/2004 12:09:52 PM >
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 18, 2004 13:29
Haha, I' ve not seen them before. Friggin' eck. Those ads reek of the 80' s but I bet if I had seen them as I kid I would have loved them.

Does anybody remember the Srga-Scream ads with the odd guy in white with a red hat and the skull thing? I think it was the skull screaming ' Sega' which you are talking about Daroosh. Those ads were the best by far.
Joe Redifer

RE: Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 18, 2004 15:41
I never cared for the Sega scream. I also didn' t care for the Sega CD ad with the black guy yelling " So you still don' t have a Sega CD mother fcuka?!!!" When Sega tried to be hip and trendy, they failed. One of the worst ads was the one that sang " You can' t do this on Nintendo!" with Buster Douglas, Pat Riley, Joe Montana, and Micheal Jackson all contributing to the song.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 18, 2004 18:31

One of the worst ads was the one that sang " You can' t do this on Nintendo!" with Buster Douglas, Pat Riley, Joe Montana, and Micheal Jackson all contributing to the song.

LOL! Sadly that' s the commercial many seem to praise Sega for mainly because of that song they found addicting.

I personally loved the Sega Master System commercials way more than any other video game commercials out there. They just OOOOZED energy. You could feel the excitement!!1!! Especially in the " Hot hits today, hot hits on the way" commercials that advertised several Master System games in one commercial accompanied by the sounds of wailing guitars just kickin a whole lotta ass in the hard rock theme used for those commercials.

I think one of the worst commercials from Sega was that FLY PLAYTHING FLY commercial used to advertise the Saturn in the U.S.
Joe Redifer

RE: Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 18, 2004 22:32
Yeah the Plaything was dumb. But the old SMS commercials did rock, especially with that giant SEGA logo. Later Sega commercials didn' t even have the Sega logo, just the:

W E L C
O M T O
T H E N
E X T L
E V E L

crap. That was insanely stupid.

But the commercials for the SMS had the After Burner music (in the " hot hits" one) and that kicked ass.
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 18, 2004 23:31
I don' t know about America but here in Europe not one DC advert showed in game footage until the advert for Sega Bass Fishing came along (and quite why you' d want to spend millions pushing Sega Bass Fishing is beyond me). An advert similar to that showcasing Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, NFL 2K, NBA 2K and Ready 2 Rumble would have done the Dreamcast a huge world of good.
Joe Redifer

RE: Sega of America, THIS is how you advertise games! - Oct 19, 2004 00:38
That sounds lame. I hate that! A lot of ads here only show maybe 3 or 4 seconds of game footage at the most. They are instead advertising the name of the game, not the game itself. Sony does this a lot. I am reminded of the stupid commercials with the guy dressed up in a giant Crash Bandicoot costume. Oh yeah. That REALLY made me want to buy a Crash game.

The world would be a better place if I ran it. :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll