Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 07, 2006 16:32
I just finished going through the head to head on IGN, and they found that the Xbox version is the best of all of them, including the 360 version, because it includes longer levels, co-op missions and what not.

also the story is more complex and detailed in the xbox version!

you have to be an insider to read it, but ill post some highlights.

Xbox 360 Advantages

Obviously the ability to display in 720p is an asset to the next generation version.

The trust meter is fully realized in this version. For example, when infiltrating the JBA on 360 Sam has timed objectives that he must complete in restricted zones. Not only does he lose access to his gadgets, but if he is caught in the restricted zone the trust meter will drop and if it reaches zero Sam' s mission is over. While Sam still has to make critical decisions on current-gen versions on the JBA mission he has his equipment and there isn' t a dynamic trust meter.

Xbox 360 Disadvantages

A shorter story mode than current generation versions.

The " Co-op" mode is actually the online vs. mode against bots.

Xbox Advantages

A longer more, robust single-player game (over 360). The best example of this is actually the first mission. It consists of about three areas on 360 that should only take experience players about 15-20 minutes to beat. However, the current generation titles kick off with a full fledged mission with multiple objectives.

Interactive tutorials in the first level. As I stated above, the first mission is long and guides players through almost all of Sam' s abilities. Players are presented with optional tutorial movies at certain points in the level so if you are already an experienced spy you can skip right past this.

Online and off-line cooperative mode that includes 15 missions online. While the PS2 and GameCube versions do include a split-screen co-op mode the Xbox is the only console that supports online co-op. This means cooperative mode in full screen! This game also has the most cooperative content in the series with a storyline that parallels the single-player mode.

PS2/GC Advantages

Content wise these versions are based on the Xbox build so they have the same advantages over the 360 skew.
PS2 Advantages

Two exclusive multiplayer game modes including Disk Hunt and Survival. Both these modes are versions of deathmatch. Disk Hunt causes players to drop discs when they die that can be collected by the opposing team. Survival puts a one minute time limit on everyone being killed or all players will respawn.

PS2/GameCube Disadvantages

While these versions are based on the Xbox game some of the environments are smaller. Unlike Chaos Theory, the level design is faithful enough to the Xbox build that it doesn' t noticeably detract from the gameplay. Basically you' d only note the slight differences if you were in charge of writing a Head-to-Head article for a major online video game site.

--------------------------

The Breakdown: There is no question, the Xbox version of the game wins in the features category. The single player mode is beefier than the Xbox and PC versions and it has the huge benefit of Xbox Live for online co-op and multiplayer over PS2 and GC.

A Note about Minigames: There are more mini-puzzles in the 360 version like the mine assembly game found in the JBA level. Hacking on 360 is identical to Chaos Theory but on current-gen systems it consists of a wave form matching game that is slightly less taxing.

Overall Recommendation
The next-gen version of Double Agent lacks many of the features available on Xbox. Microsoft' s first system has always led the pack when a new Splinter Cell game is released and things are no different this time around. To summarize Xbox has:

A more complete story.
15 online or offline co-op missions
A longer single player experience than 360
A better looking, more fully featured single player experience than PS2 and GC.
Online multiplayer over Xbox Live

Fans take note: graphics asside the Xbox version of Splinter Cell Double Agent is the superior game.
< Message edited by VX Chemical -- 7 Nov 06 8:33:45 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 07, 2006 16:47
Maybe i' ll pick it up when it drops onto the BC list. Mass and myself were a little annoyed at the multi-player modes being altered as we wanted to play spy vs spy.

It' s a little disappointing that the story modes on the current gen versions are longer. The 360 version doesn' t quite flow and it' s obvious that some things are missing but the 360 version is still the 2nd best game on the console.

What ending did you get? Oh, and did you shoot Lambert?
Vx Chemical

RE: SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 07, 2006 16:58

You know your the one i should shooot, since i havent had time to finish it yet
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 07, 2006 17:01

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Erm, ...but you must have seen it in the pre-release trailers...
Vx Chemical

RE: SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 07, 2006 17:06
actually i havent :P

but it doesnt matter, i havent had much time to play these days, and starting wow again swallows time
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 07, 2006 18:11
To be honest I was a tad dissappointed with the game...the design seemed more forced and what not. Gameplay wise Chaos Theory is still my favorite. Regardless I did enjoy the hell out of it just not as much as Id hope. I gotta give it another run through to get the other 2 endings...I dunno which one I got. It was rather abrupt.

BTW I need to get online with it soon I havent had the time latly. The second Isee a good grouping of people on expect a barage of invites.

Will the next one be back in Montreals hands?
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 07, 2006 23:18
WOW! Thanks Ubisoft! Really makes me glad I spent 50 pounds on the damn thing. As far as the game' s merit goes, I' ve always thought the SC series was subpar, especially story wise; it' s the classic Clancy formula of implausible geopolitical conspiracy with a sprinkling of who gives a crap. The only reason I decided to buy this game was because it was the only even moderately good thing out on the 360 at the time.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 08, 2006 03:08

Gee thanks Majik.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: SC:DA Superior on the Xbox 1,0 - Nov 08, 2006 06:14
Hmm, I' ve not read much about the PC version. I wonder if that has the current-gen gameplay, cos then you' d get the best of both worlds.

Should get it this week so I' ll let you know if it' s any good in comparison. (Although any sign of my order on Play has disappeared! Hope its temporary!)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll