Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Project Offset
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Project Offset - Jan 20, 2006 03:21
Have anyone seen the videos of Project Offset? The game looks incredible, its like a medievel version of Battlefield, Battlefield: LOTR so to speak. The game hasnt got a publisher yet, and the engine is also for sale to developers.

Íts headed for Xbox 360 and the PC, im not sure about PS3
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Project Offset - Jan 20, 2006 03:32
Yup, and the video shown last year looks really bloody good!

That and more are available at: http://www.projectoffset.com/

It' s gonna be big!
Vx Chemical

RE: Project Offset - Jan 20, 2006 03:47
You can find a new video on www.teamxbox.com it looks really cool
< Message edited by vx chemical -- 20 Jan 06 11:59:40 >
Nitro

RE: Project Offset - Jan 20, 2006 03:57
Link doesn' t work because it has a comma at the end of it...
Vx Chemical

RE: Project Offset - Jan 20, 2006 04:00
It works now
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Project Offset - Jan 20, 2006 04:16
The engine looks very impressive. If it can do what the devs (all 3 of them!) say it can on a large scale then we' re in for a treat!

Has anyone played either of the Savage games btw? Same idea and devs when they were at S2 games...
< Message edited by choupolo -- 20 Jan 06 12:19:48 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Project Offset - Jan 20, 2006 04:34
I never got to play it, i was poor the months around its release! But yeah, its kinda the same thing!
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: Project Offset - Jan 20, 2006 05:21
ye i been following project offset too. God the graphics look sick man and i hope they get a publisher, but i hope that won' t screw up their ideas. maybe the publisher will want to make it more mainstream, instead of letting those 3 guys do what they have in mind.

I like games from ppl with low budgets and lots of skills. Advent Rising was one of those games. Donald Mustard started out with a few ppl and then was able to get a publisher, Majesco, and then did the game, and still in limited budget, so as a result the game had a few glitches on the xbox, and a few framerate drops in chaotic scenes (this only on the older xboxes, the newer ones, like mine, were fine, no probs). check it out guys, ull really like it, im sure of it.
KiLLeR

RE: Project Offset - Feb 14, 2006 14:01
now now, read this guys

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10238/Red-5-Studios-Licenses-Project-Offset-Engine

I' m pretty excited about the fact that another studio is gonna use their engine!
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Project Offset - Feb 14, 2006 17:44
I' d heard about this a few months ago, but never checked it out.

I can' t wait now!! Any rumours as to a likely publisher?

]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Project Offset - Feb 15, 2006 05:05
while that character (the monster ) is rendered very realisticaly - when they put it in a gaming situation it looks stupid and shallow (PC style - non immersive animations)

The gameplay seems to be the last thing those devs had on their mind.
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 14 Feb 06 21:06:13 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Project Offset - Feb 15, 2006 05:26
PC style? i hope your PC doesnt stand for the usual personal computer, if it does, saying something like that is utter crap, and stupid generalisation.
Nitro

RE: Project Offset - Feb 15, 2006 06:34
It was a tech demo anyway much like the HL2 one that displayed all the various effects.
KiLLeR

RE: Project Offset - Feb 15, 2006 09:17
i think this engine is pretty promising, i mean it' s coming from 3 guys that love games and are just starting out, they' ll pour their heart into it.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Project Offset - Feb 15, 2006 19:54

PC style? i hope your PC doesnt stand for the usual personal computer, if it does, saying something like that is utter crap, and stupid generalisation.

I don' t think so - Most PC titles have quite common flaws - chracters animation , objects interaction (like getting stuck is some FPP casue you got between a can and toilet paper laying on the floor) and so on.

I can tell that game was made by PC devs after 2 minutes.

I' m not saying that there aren' t games that are amazing and without those flaws - DOOM3 had superb animations , Half Life 2 - this game is just incredible and so polished and there are others.

But games like Call of Duty 2 are totally PC in a negative way.That doesn' t mean games like that aren' t fun.Both X and 360 are the only consoles that have(/will have) those flaws in many titles , but that' s just thanks to our friends from the PC industry who got onboard thanks to PC-like specs of X.
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 15 Feb 06 11:56:12 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Project Offset - Feb 15, 2006 20:09
I think all of that is a load of bullcrap. And it has no baring in the truth what so ever. If there is one platform that tends to have a million poor titles its the consoles, because people who play console games arent too picky on what they buy!
]GaNgStA[

RE: Project Offset - Feb 15, 2006 20:52
no that' s because it' s the real gaming platform and has much more titles than PC' s.

No matter how many bad titles you can find on any system - they never have all those common PC flaws unless ofcourse PC devs have made them.

Most PC games are mediocre at best - when it comes to great ones - PC is worse than N64 (in terms of quantity of great games per month).

It' s actually incredible how many GOOD games PC gamers got lately (FEAR,HL2,Q4,D3,WoW,Rome:total war and so on).

If you think PC gamers are picky - man you' re blind :)
- aren' t those guys the ones who suffer game crashes for no reason thanks to Windows? (don' t deny it - MS themselves realizes that)

Or the ones who play games like splinter cell on keyboard and mouse? (that' s why PC versions are never considered better than those for X)

Hell those guys can even play racing games on keyboard that' s how picky they are.

Sometimes they get so picky that they buy a high end PC that costs 3 times more than 360 and still games are not optimised enough for it.Oh sure but they need to work on it too (I don' t remember any software for web browsing/ text editing tool that requires such power)

Being a dedicated PC gamer means :the luxury of being picky has to be left behind.

< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 15 Feb 06 12:57:31 >
choupolo

RE: Project Offset - Feb 16, 2006 02:24
You must' ve had a really bad time with your PC Gangsta! You' re constantly saying that about PC games.

I' d say PC gamers are picky. The whole point of PC is to be able to customise things the way you want them from your hardware to game mods. If you have a bit of technical know-how and the will to keep your machine in good shape, you' ll never have many problems. Most problems on PC are caused by the user. (Not that I' m saying WinXP is brilliant..)

I hardly have any problems/crashes on my PC, and any problems I do have I can always solve quickly. It' s usually about picking the right hardware, keeping up-to-date with patches and drivers, defragging, cleaning spyware (or not browsing dodgy sites for pirate games, cracks and pr0n) . You dont have to do that stuff often, and it' s not really that difficult if you can be bothered. Choosing the right hardware is the difficult part (and most expensive), and you need to know what kinda technology the devs are using. eg. there' s no point picking a GeForce MX and a Cirrus proc for games.

The fact I' m willing to spend 3 times as much on a PC over a 360 (I do have both tho) only shows how picky I am. And as for racing games - even though GT4, Forza, TOCA etc are considered sims on consoles, I can hardly stand anything less than a complete sim title like GT Legends (GOTY imo!) using a ffb wheel on PC.

I' ve never tried Splinter Cell on XBox, but I found the m+k to be great for it on PC. Plus it was easier to aim.

So PC gamers picky? Yes. That' s precisely why there are compatibility issues on PC, cuz everyone has a different machine. And the main advantage of consoles is the ability not to have to be picky at all.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 15 Feb 06 19:59:21 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: Project Offset - Feb 16, 2006 05:47
Now that' s something that is really hard to deny :)

But I' ll try anyway hehe so :

The PC gamers you wrote about (the guys who know their stuff) are a small percantage of PC gamers - now I know that most crashes and all issues are caused by user , but you have to agree that from time to time something just isn' t right , something happens that just shouldn' t.If you haven' t experienced something like that then you are a very lucky man :)

Guys who play PC games are picky because they want to tweak every little detail to work on their GPU the best way possible?

Well X360 is way more powerfull than the best PC you' ll get in 2006 , add to this that games are optimised for it (no hardware variation) , the TV screen is huge and has a high resolution.

Why would anyone play games like oblivion on a PC without the couch , wireless controller and all the things that make the console experience so much better? (5.1 sound - did I mention this? Everyone knows that PC gamers don' t have the kind of setups to enjoy 5.1 the way it should be enjoyed)

The Splinter Cell thing - Playing it on keyboard may be ok but it lowers the level of immersion in game - for some FPP games , that' s not the case - for games like that . it is.

Haven' t played GT LEGENDS but I honestly don' t believe it' s a better racing simulation than Ferrari F355 Challenge for Arcades , DC (and later PS2).

The thing about being picky is where we' re all wrong - there are both picky console gamers and picky PC guys (I don' t know any that' s why I said they don' t exist but you seem to be one of them).

Both picky groups are a minority no matter on which platform they reside :)

Anyway I' ve been relying on graphics mostly but I can tell you that I' d rather play quality games on my PS2 than some high-end games on PC - I grew up used to sitting relaxed with a comfortable controller in my hands and with quality , polished content.Many PC gamers have been telling me it' s not the case , but honestly I think I' m openminded enough , I tried many games and I just don' t see it - maybe except games from Blizzard.Half Life 2 was a terribly impresive game for me and one of those titles I won' t forget soon , but even though it was polished and at least one class above most PC games - it still felt that some things were not quite right.

I bet your typical PC freak haven' t even heard about games like Rez , Katamari Damacy , Ico , Yoshi Touch and GO , Meteos , Lumines.Those are some incredible concepts.On the other hand many PC gamers haven' t heard of Spore - one of the most (supposedly) innovative title being developed for PC.

Can you tell me something more about GT legends? I' m very interested in it after what' ve you said .

For instance - why is this game the best sim for you (especially since games like GT4 have a dedicated wheel with 900 degrees rotation and FFB)?

< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 15 Feb 06 22:07:53 >
choupolo

RE: Project Offset - Feb 16, 2006 09:36
Don' t get me wrong, most of what you' re saying is fair enough. There are loads of problems/glitches/crashes on PC. And I have had problems myself just not very often eg the most annoying one recently was some of the voices not working properly on FEAR last year. I couldn' t figure it out for a while, but I read the readme file which said I should manually install some audio codecs via an included file. It took a few seconds to double click on that and afterwards it worked brilliantly. So not hard, but many wouldn' t think of reading the readme.

And I have to admit my console setup isnt as good as my PC setup so I' m biased, but I still appreciate the advantages of consoles ie no hassle, polished/high budget games, big screen + sofa, joypads etc etc. Which is why I still buy them!

My PC rig does have a very nice 5.1 sound system tho, which makes all the difference too. And I' m eventually going to invest in a large HDTV that will work for my 360 and my PC.

----

As for GT Legends, well I' ve just realised that the essay I was writing to try to explain how much detail is in that game, and how deep the driving experience is compared to your average racer, was just too long for a forum post, so I deleted it!

All I can say is that, it' s one game that is really what PCs are all about, a true simulation with no holds barred, which for many just wont be ' fun' . It just goes further over that sim line in the realism/fun balance than GT4, TOCA etc. Never played F355 Challenge though so I cant compare that one.
The GT4 900 degree wheel thing actually works fine with it (its what I use, but I tend to turn the 900 degree feature off ), so if you' ve got one, you have to either check the free demos out for GTL and GTR or go and get a copy of the full versions on the cheap. GTL needs a fairly beastly machine to look its best, but GTR is just about as deep and less demanding. Obviously GTR is about tightly tuned 2003 GT cars, whereas GTL is about simulating the individually unique classics from the 60s and 70s, from Minis to AC Cobras to rear-engined Porsches that all handle close to the way they do in reality and must be driven that way.

Im already starting to ramble so here are some reviews of GTR and GTL. Two mainstream ones from IGN and Boomtown, and two fairly technical ones from SimHQ which if you can get through without getting bored, you know you' ll like these games! They' ve got some good screens though so you can skim through them, but they say more for the games than I can. SimHQ actually doesnt think GTL is enough of a simulation! So that just goes to show how far over the sim line you can go.

You probably weren' t that interested but this' s why I like GTL over GT4 Gangsta! It' s kind of the same as saying you prefer GT4 over PGR3, or PGR3 over Ridge Racer (even though they all have their appeals). Anyway pick which ever review you want and enjoy!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/625/625509p1.aspx - GTR @ IGN
http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=9772 - GTL @ Boomtown

http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports2/motorsports_055a.aspx - GTR
http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports2/motorsports_064a.aspx - GTL

Anyways, back to Project Offset.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 16 Feb 06 4:12:51 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages