Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 to be semi-transparent?!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 21:27
Look closely at this image...

You can see that it' s semi-transparent right?!

This...

...is the bottom (if you place it horizontally) and is how the machine looks when a bright light (in this cash a camera flash) hits the shiny black surface.

This...

...is the same underside of the console and an image found in the officially released photo' s and shows more of a matte black effect much like the black PS2. It' s worth noting that some of the special edition PStwo' s are semi-transparent.

So is the console going to be semi-transparent?! And if it is, is that a good or a bad thing?!

Also, note that the image with the camera flash appears to show a very large fan, and if it has a fan like that then a) i has to get hot, and b) it has to be noisy. Thus quashing Sony' s claims that it' ll be as quiet as the PStwo and won' t get hot.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 31 Aug 06 13:32:32 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 21:44
But is that a Final Retail Unit or just a dev kit?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 22:00
Does it matter if it' s semi-transparent? I couldn' t care less anyway. Not with all the other issues regarding PS3.
Nitro

RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 22:05

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

But is that a Final Retail Unit or just a dev kit?

The PS3 dev-kits aren' t in the cases. They' re still in flatbed type PC cases. It could be a mock up or a final prototype though and it does show a fan.

I hope it is semi-transparent though. That' d be great and it' d help distance the look of the console from it' s older brother.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 22:06

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Does it matter if it' s semi-transparent? I couldn' t care less anyway. Not with all the other issues regarding PS3.

Point taken....not just that but in one of those picture the thing looks scratched already an i' m wondering if it' s that kind of material that get scratches easily....if so black is not the colour to go.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 22:29
I think it' s semi-transparent for bragging rights..
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 22:49
It' s semi-transparent to give everyone else fan-envy.

That is going to be interesting though, I guess we' ll have to wait for TGS, and get someone with a bright camera to snap a few pics. Also makes you wonder if they' re going to be providing multiple colored PS3' s. Most likely not at launch, because they' ve already got enough on their plates trying to actually produce a console, no less two different colors for two different kits, but if the console scratches as easy, or has those pond ripple looking plastic rings on it, people are going to be begging for white.
Nitro

RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 23:23

Also makes you wonder if they' re going to be providing multiple colored PS3' s.

Nope. At least not for a while.

They initially showed black, silver and white...

...and the white model looked gorgeous, but the 2 SKU' s that will be available at launch will be black.

Personally, if the console IS going to have a semi-transparent case i' d probably prefer the black one. I did wonder what they would be using though, as in whether it would eb the same plastic they use for PSP. Perhaps the plastic they are using doesn' t conduct as much heat as the matte black PS2 plastic...
Nitro

RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Aug 31, 2006 23:29
Right. It looks to be true. On the official Playstation 3 website the colour of the system is listed as " Clear Black"

LINKY

You' re looking at the 2nd of the three press releases, in the first paragraph.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Sep 01, 2006 03:09
I allways thought they where realseing the black one, as it was the least wanted, as In the silver is ideal for home teather set ups, as it matchs the typical colour of your tv stand, dvd players etc [it wont stick out], the white one was for you Ipod freaks how must have everything in the lifeless white, sure its nice on one or two things, but a room full of that? [:' (].

The black was picked becuase nobody wanted it, and gurtentees furutre sales when they let the other colours sold.

But if you really want white, you could allways do it yourself.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Sep 01, 2006 04:17
There' s one thing I realised after this thread...GAMERS ARE FUCKIN INSANE, We are fuckin crazy.

We find a photo and analyze it for weeks just to see if it might be transparent a bit

I pitty myself and my kind ... I don' t know how is it possible that I often get laid :)
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Sep 01, 2006 04:18
Hey, that looks nice.

Hope they use it, for I have always had some sort of liking torwards see through things. Especially T-Shirts... On girls in the rain... And then they aren' t wearing any bra...

Edit:
Also, I' m online again. It' s been a tuff couple of weeks, with the move and neww school, but now I should be able to spend (waste?) some time with all of you again.

BTW: Game developing school KICKS ASS!!!
< Message edited by dionysius -- 31 Aug 06 20:22:27 >
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 to be semi-transparent?! - Sep 01, 2006 18:54
Thats what the finishing reminds me off ...my ipod. I took really good care of it and still do and it still managed to have scratches ...even though it spends most of it' s time in the case.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll