Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony..
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 77
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 00:30
..because they' re engouraging developers to use HD rendered footage..

Launch titles for the PlayStation 3 are already " getting up close" to the 25GB limit on current Blu-Ray discs, according to Sony' s worldwide studios boss Phil Harrison, who was responding to criticism of the PS3' s adoption of Blu-Ray.

" Already, at our launch titles, we' re getting up close to the 25GB limit that we have on our Blu-Ray discs this year," he claimed. " Next year we' ll raise that to 50GB, and I' d expect that we' ll be getting close to that in the fairly near future as well."

Speaking in an interview with Eurogamer' s Rob Fahey, Harrison decried suggestions that the Blu-Ray drive had been included in the machine purely to push Sony' s agenda with regard to Blu-Ray movies.
Advertisement

" It' s got nothing to do with movies," he responded. " DVD is not sufficient capacity to power the kind of data consumption, or to feed the data consumption needs of Cell and RSX - just purely as a gameplay device, we need Blu-Ray to supply the kind of data that PS3 games use."

Harrison also responded to questioning about the claim that the capacity of Blu-Ray will be used simply to provide more high definition movie sequences, effectively filling the discs - and games - with non-interactive content.

" It' s not just about graphics," he said. " It' s about 7.1 audio, it' s about speech, it' s about having up to 1080p movies built into the game; it' s high-res textures, it' s animation, it' s everything that goes into making a very rich and varied next-gen experience. Partly it' s visual, partly it' s sound, and partially it' ll be down to gameplay benefits as well - more levels, more detail, richer experiences."

However, he also defended the right of developers to include rendered video in their games - a key feature of many titles, even on next-generation systems.

" I see nothing wrong with having non-interactive, full HD sequences as part of the game," he said. " That' s all part of the production value and the experience that you get when you buy the game. I don' t see that as a weakness at all."

The Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 has been blamed both for contributing heavily to the cost of the system, and for causing the production delays which ultimately led to the decision to move the European launch back to 2007. Microsoft has accused Sony of taking choice away from consumers by including Blu-Ray - the Xbox 360 will have an optional external HD-DVD drive, although this can only be used for movie playback and will not be accessible to game developers.

Meanwhile, some consumers have questioned the value of Blu-Ray to videogames, given the ability of developers to fit games on the scale of Xbox 360 and PC title Oblivion onto a single DVD - although it should be noted that Oblivion, despite its scale, is a relatively early next-gen title. Many early titles in the previous generation shipped on CDs, but DVDs were widespread within a year to eighteen months, as developers learned to exploit more of the systems' functionality and streamlined the content creation process.

Harrison acknowledged that some early titles will not make full use of Blu-Ray' s capacity, but was adamant that the standard will be vital to the PS3 in the coming years. " Not every game is going to fill 25 or 50GB," he said. " I completely accept that - but there will be games that require that this year, and will push that further in years to come."

Phil Harrison was speaking in an exclusive interview on the PlayStation 3, which is currently being serialised on the recently launched ThreeSpeech website, with additional excerpts set to appear on Eurogamer in the coming days.

< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 18 Oct 06 16:34:22 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 00:31
Yeah HD CGI is the only reason why they could be pushing that! Im wondering if they got ordered to put it in, only so sony could come out and say its needed :P
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 02:48

it' s about having up to 1080p movies built into the game; it' s high-res textures,

What were you expecting? " Um, well, the games are going to need this storage later, but for the next three years, F*** you!

" It' s got nothing to do with movies," he responded. " DVD is not sufficient capacity to power the kind of data consumption, or to feed the data consumption needs of Cell and RSX -

Did that make as little sense to you guys as it did to me? He thinks Blu-Ray is Seymour from " The Little Shop of Horrors"
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 18 Oct 06 18:48:53 >
Gaiden BLACK

• Total Posts : 675
RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 02:50
As a game developer I absolutely need blu ray because the games for ps3 eat so much DATA
Vx Chemical

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 02:52

As a game developer I absolutely need blu ray because the games for ps3 eat so much DATA

What....? what was that? Did you make fun of Sony? Or dont i get it? I think you made fun of them, thats my boy!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 02:55
Feed me, Phillip! Feed me data all night long! Cause if you feed me Phillip, I can grow up big and strong!

Okay, the Little Shop of Horrors jokes stop here.

What....? what was that? Did you make fun of Sony? Or dont i get it? I think you made fun of them, thats my boy!
All is not as it seems VX. That did sound an awful lot like sacrasm though.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 18 Oct 06 18:57:03 >
Gaiden BLACK

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 03:11
The statement made me laugh thats all, im not taking the piss out of SONY and no sarcasm was intended either.

If i was making fun out of SONY i know i would become a new addition of you sony haters.

But sadly its just something i laughed at.

Personally i think its a good thing games hold some much data. BLU RAY ROCK ON
Vx Chemical

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 03:12

The statement made me laugh thats all, im not taking the piss out of SONY and no sarcasm was intended either.

If i was making fun out of SONY i know i would become a new addition of you sony haters.

But sadly its just something i laughed at.

Well you werent welcome in the club anyway! We are sony hater exclusive here!
Nitro

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 03:24

That' s the point you injit, games obviously don' t need the space as Sony are getting developers to fill the discs with 1080p HD CG movies.
Gaiden BLACK

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 03:47
Why dont the games need that space if the disk can hold that much it might aswell be filled.

Before people were saying they wont fill the space now that they have your saying its just 1080p hd cg movies.

Just accept and stop hating.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 03:49
i' m sure it' s filled with more than CG... let' s see: animation, textures just like he said , blu ray is made to be used and it will in a good way if it' s in the right hand.
Gaiden BLACK

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 03:52

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

i' m sure it' s filled with more than CG... let' s see: animation, textures just like he said , blu ray is made to be used and it will in a good way if it' s in the right hand.

Yeah exactly
Nitro

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 04:07

ORIGINAL: Gaiden BLACK

Why dont the games need that space if the disk can hold that much it might aswell be filled.

Before people were saying they wont fill the space now that they have your saying its just 1080p hd cg movies.

Just accept and stop hating.

Accept what you fucking moron?!

Our argument against Blu-Ray is that it OBVIOUSLY isn' t NEEDED for games. Yet. What you have is a game that would probably fit on a DVD9 and then a sh!tload of 1080p CG footage taking up the rest of the disc. That shows that for the games themselves the additional space isn' t needed.

What you must be saying is that CG is needed this generation, ...otherwise you' re talking complete fucking sh!t again. If, you think CG is needed this generation then you should take a look at Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3 as it' s realtime cutscenes are way nicer than Ninja Gaiden Blacks CG.

Now, just what the fuck are you talking about?
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 04:17

I don' t get it. Is 1080p HD CG movies a bad thing? Should they instead skip it and purpouselly make the CG non HD and by so skip using the capacity they have available to them? I see no reason to complain on something if it can in some way, ANY WAY make things, even the tiniest bit better.

Let' s stop being gamecists and start appreciate and LOVE each and every console out there... ' cept N-Gage... ' cause it suck!

BTW: How the f*ck do you spell " purpouselly" correct, now again?!
Nitro

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 04:24
Purposely.

1080p CG isn' t bad thing, but come on, it also isn' t needed, especially when the consoles themselves can handle HD realtime cutscenes.

CG is very expensive, and HD CG even more so. Realtime cutscenes are preferable in most cases as far as i' m concerned as the studio has full contol over the scene, whereas with CH they send a storyboard and workups to a CG studio who then produces the cutscenes.

Very few developers do their CG inhouse and there' s been an increasing move towards realtime cutscenes due to the costs of CG.

Sony are basically getting developers to fill the discs with CG to validate the need for Blu-Ray' s capacity. It' s bullshit. It' s nice that we' ll have a cheap Blu-Ray player, but their making themselves look retarded every time they say the capacity is needed for games right now.

CG isn' t needed when realtime next gen cutscenes (in 1080p) look like this...

< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 18 Oct 06 20:26:18 >
Gaiden BLACK

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 04:24
How do you know what they are putting on Blu ray?

Are you a developer?

Are you developing games for PS3?

What i am saying is that the space being filled up on the blu ray is not just CG movies its everything as a whole. I think its a great thing that there is a DISK out there that can hold 25gb of data (WHATEVER THE DATA). The possibilties for developers is endless with the Blu ray.

I am happy with standard DVD but if something new comes (Blu Ray) along ill embrace it.

After all there are people out there who want to see 1080p CG footage, so in that sense its doing its job.

Stop hating and start accepting BITCH.

Let' s stop being gamecists and start appreciate and LOVE each and every console out there... ' cept N-Gage... ' cause it suck!

its a shame that some people cant do that on this forum.
< Message edited by Gaiden Black -- 18 Oct 06 20:26:06 >
Nitro

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 04:29
What else do you think is taking up the space other than HD footage and multiple formats of the games sound?!

It ain' t fucking textures because they only have 256MB RAM to deal with and the erst of the games assets won' t add up to more than a couple of gig. What Harrison is saying is that HD footage is being used to fill the space you numb fuck.
Gaiden BLACK

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 04:37
Ok man whatever because you must know as your developing games for the ps3.

Its agood thing live with it you slut.
Nitro

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 04:41

^^^ That' s Mass Effect in realtime @ 720p. It will fit on a DVD9. Blu-Ray is useless for games.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are great for movies, but not for games.
Gaiden BLACK

RE: PS3 games already pushing 25GB.. say Sony.. - Oct 19, 2006 05:04
Whats your point fool?...........That an XBOX 360 game which isnt using Blu ray is the future.

DVD is becoming dated we should be happy about the change. Soon 1080p will become the standard display so the disk will have to be able to handle that.

I see blu ray as a sooner or later..........IT makes no difference to me.

SOOOOO MUCH DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 77

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread