Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 delay
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
PS3 delay - Aug 02, 2005 17:10
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/02/news_6129862.aspx

According to this article the PS3 will not arrive in the US until late 2006 maybe even 2007.

How does everyone feel about this and it seems that Nintendo wil not be last afterall. Do you think this big of a delay will hurt them also seeing how Kutaragi has said more then once that it wil be expensive? By then Nintendo and MS could lower their price a bit and have a pretty big library before the PS3 even comes out.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: PS3 delay - Aug 02, 2005 19:49
I really can' t see that happening.

If Sony does go ahead with this it' ll be the stupidest move they' ve made yet. Sony' s over-confidence is sickening. Ken would be shooting himself in the foot.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 delay - Aug 02, 2005 19:53
yes that is true. but we know that japan won' t get theirs until next spring and Sony always take forever to bring our stuff out look how long they waited for the PSP and Europe still doesn' t have theirs and Sony did that retarted move about not allowing imports which i didn' t know was anything wrong. The PS2 also took a while before we got ours after japan got theirs. So i thought this would be true.
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: PS3 delay - Aug 02, 2005 19:54
Another clue of Microsoft' s (and Nintendo' s) takeover. Bye bye Sony!!

I mean, seriously. Ten years is enough.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: PS3 delay - Aug 02, 2005 20:19
Sony would be stupid to pull this. I haven' t read the article so I don' t know if this was mentioned. Blu-Ray technology is expensive as hell right now. That' s the main reason MS decided not to use the format. This could be a big reason Sony is delaying the system. Releasing it this spring would potentially make the games themselves more expensive than the 360 just because of the disc being used. The Blu-Ray drive is also expensive as hell.

The Japanese and Sony fans may be rejoicing that there console has more disc space but they don' t realize how much it' s going to hurt their wallet.
Jason Zeidan

RE: PS3 delay - Aug 02, 2005 21:25
That' s it! All signs point to M$!!

I wasn' t too sure, but Rampage pretty much sums it up.

Just when I think I can' t be any hastier, I still manage to drain more out of the pool..
UnluckyOne

RE: PS3 delay - Aug 02, 2005 22:52
I doubt Blu-Ray will ever find its feet in the consumer market. Sony have commited to the format for the PlayStation 3, but beyond that Blu-Ray has next to no backing when compared to HD-DVD.

Toshiba' s HD-DVD requires very little modification to existing equipment and in the long run it will be cheaper for manufacturers and the end user. Hence the number of major movie production companies supporting HD-DVD is much greater than Blu-Ray' s.

HD-DVD has also gotten a lot more support from publishing execs for movies, simply because of the name. The Disk cannot hold as much as Blu-Ray (which can go to 4 layers equaling 100GB) but is cheaper and more versatile in that its a stem from current technology.

Consumers like the HD prefix as it conveys the improvement over DVD where as Blu-Ray, well it sounds like some space age science fiction energy which doesn' t really appeal to anyone.

< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 3 Aug 05 8:20:02 >
Jason Zeidan

RE: PS3 delay - Aug 03, 2005 08:52
Now, I don' t know alot about proprierity formats, but I' ll do my best. I understand that Blu-Ray can hold alot more than HD-DVD, but what is actually going to take up all that space? I say Sony should ditch an unfamiliar format; it' ll be cheaper anyway to do so, and go for HD-DVD where developers are already starting work with, or DVD-rom where developers would be really thankful.

Isn' t the Revolution going to support DVD? And the Xbox 360 as well? Or did Microsoft recently say otherwise?
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 delay - Aug 03, 2005 09:40
Sony does not have the best luck with creating a new format HTey created Beta-max which was supposedly better then VHS and still lost. They also created Mini-disk which bombed and then tried to use it to create a new format the UMD which i think is pointless. HD-DVD has the name recognition that people who are not tech savy wil understand i have had tons of people ask me what the hell is Blu-Ray.

At first everyone critisized Nintendo and MS for sticking with DVD format even though Nintendo has the best compression technology and can fit A LOT on a DVD and their' s wil be a higher density DVD. MS has announced they will do DVD and later on support HD-DVD. They thought about making the Xbox 2 HD-DVD based but thought it was too late to change if they want to meet their worldwide release date this year so they plan to release a add on to make it HD-DVD based accoring to what i read. THey Chose DVD to save on costs now people are begining to think that was a smart mofve and that the new formats are not established enough to create a system based on it and make it like expensive like SOny might have to do. Look how much UMD' s cost and they don' t have the special features DVD' s do when you can just buy a Portable DVD player with a much bigger screen for cheaper then a PSP.
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: PS3 delay - Aug 03, 2005 10:36
NO I WANT IT NOW.well it gives me more time to save money
UnluckyOne

RE: PS3 delay - Aug 03, 2005 16:45
I think Sony is jumping the gun with Blu-Ray. DVD still has quite a bit of life left in it. Developers still rarely fill up a single layer 4.7GB disc. Both Microsoft and Nintendo will be using dual layer DVD' s which can hold up to 9.4GB. With the right compression and smarts they could probably get it to hold as much as a single layer HD-DVD (15GB).

I' m still amazed at what Nintendo can fit on their GC discs and they max out at around 1GB.
daytonadav

• Total Posts : 14
RE: PS3 delay - Aug 03, 2005 18:37
I think all of the systems came out too quickly. If they took their time it would probably be worth buying.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: PS3 delay - Aug 03, 2005 20:54
I must compliment Sony for their gumption. They always tout the " best" technology. Of course, it has backfired several times (Betamax, MD, etc.) but they really do try to move technology forward. Even with this Cell processor, they' re giving it their all. I think M$ has a better grasp of the consumer market, though.

The best Sony can hope for is Microsoft deciding to " give up" on the console market. I mean, really there' s no way they can defeat them. As long as M$ sees possibilities in the market, they' ve got the money to keep going. Did you notice the link at the bottom of the article about Sony being strapped for cash?! Sad.

This is what' s going to happen:

Microsoft will launch the 360 in November of 2005 at $299.

Nintendo will launch BEFORE the PS3 in the spring of 2006 at $229 (they do weird prices like that!). By this point, MS will already have approx 100 games available for the 360.

Sony will decide that they cannot allow the PS3 to slip into 2007, and will rush the PS3 to market in the Christmas season of 2006 at $499. They will tell everyone how they " need" this new " entertainment device" and it' s well worth the money. At this point 360 is lowered to $249 and the Revolution is lowered to $199.

Sony releases a stripped down " games only" PS3 early 2007 for $299.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: PS3 delay - Aug 04, 2005 07:40
Sony doesn' t push technology. They just find something that sounds powerful and they slap it together with a bunch of random parts and hope it works. Why do you think all first gen Sony anything breaks down? The PS2 went through a few different generations that were all faulty. The entire first set in Jpan was recalled if I remember right. They just take random bits of technology, slap it together and call it " the most powerful thing on the market" .

That' s what they did with the PS3. The Cell processor ahd twice the floating point calculations of the 360 processor. It doesn' t matter if the 360' s core is more sutible for games. Sony just wants to baost a bigger number. they just found a bunch of parts and threw them together. MS actually worked hands on with all their hardware developers so they could develpe XNA right along side of them. Sony originally wasn' t even going to give software for their developement kits. they just recently created that deal with Unreal to use their Engine 3 as their development tool. Sony didn' t even try.
Bently

• Total Posts : 10
RE: PS3 delay - Oct 21, 2005 14:11
xbox 360 is gonna be bettre than the ps3 becuz of it s 3 cores
i will give u a web site chk it out
Bently

RE: PS3 delay - Oct 21, 2005 14:13
the web site is http://www.oxm.co.uk/
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 delay - Oct 21, 2005 15:19
gamepro also has a story saying it might not arrive until 2007 which is lilely for Europe since they always get stuff late especially from sony.

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/news/47391.shtml
Bently

RE: PS3 delay - Oct 22, 2005 12:56
shall i tell u guys and gal a nother web site wait a 1 min
Bently

RE: PS3 delay - Oct 22, 2005 12:58
http://www.xbox360pro.com/ that is it if u want any more let me know
< Message edited by Bently -- 22 Oct 05 21:02:45 >
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 delay - Oct 23, 2005 01:57
hey bently i am getting the disticnt impression you are a MS fanboy. Why not be opned minded and play the systems for the acutall games and not because of who made it? I have all 3 PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. I ma more partial to Nintnedo because they have been aroudn the longest and have the most populat game franchises and make quality stuff. But i play video games for the actualy video games not because of who made it.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message