Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 able to play PC games
bignasty1990

• Total Posts : 4
PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 03, 2005 21:47
If the Ps3 comes with an operating system, witch more than likely it will
( Linux as it looks like right now ) and you get a big enough hard drive or mod one in. And you get a keyboard and mouse, witch more than likely as of right now you will be able to. And that it can play just about every kind of disc there is except of HD-DVD. Do you think it will be able to play PC games on it. Or more imporantly PC games on-line. Cuz we all know it is more than powerful enough to do it. Thanks!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 03, 2005 22:27
Not a chance in hell...

Most consoles use custom ' operating systems' , the Dreamcast was lucky enough to have two, but performance-wise the Windows CE operating system was nowhere near as good as Sega' s custom one. The only advantage it had was in regards to its Networking (online play).
bignasty1990

RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 03, 2005 22:34
but i think they said the the ps3 has the ability to have more than 1 OS so maybe you could use the one when you bought a computer or go to best buy or something and buy a windows one or Macintosh. I know i kinda cought up in the idea of playing PC games on the PS3 but i think it would be awsome.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 03, 2005 22:41
PC games are programmed to use the x86 architecture, which is way, way different than the PS3' s.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 03, 2005 22:42
It' s a pipe dream, believe me it ain' t happening in this or any lifetime for the PS3 ;).

For one, there would be way too many problems with trying to run different PC games on a console. Consumers don' t have easy access to the internal hardware of the PS3 in order to " upgrade" or install a needed part if a game requires such.... What it comes down to, if you wanna play PC games, a PC is basically your only avenue.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 4 Dec 05 6:44:10 >
bignasty1990

RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 03, 2005 23:18
Do you think it will happen one day cuz that would basically double the system' s game list
locopuyo

RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 04, 2005 02:46
A console called Phantom is supposed to be able to play PC games. Not sure if they will ever end up releasing it though. It is basically just a PC only used for gaming that connects to your TV. Then you buy games and download them straight to your hard drive off the internet, kinda like the xbox live marketplace thing, but this is the only way you can buy games. There are supposed to be games made just for the Phantom but you can also play any PC games on. http://www.phantom.net/ Again, not sure if this thing will ever actually be released.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 04, 2005 03:08
LOL!

Are they still parading that Phantom thing around? I thought it faded into obscurity years ago. It' s the biggest vaporware since Duke Nukem Forever.
locopuyo

RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 04, 2005 13:27
I still have hope for Duke Nukem 4 Ever.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: PS3 able to play PC games - Dec 11, 2005 03:46
I don' t think it will be possible without the conversion.

There should be more PC games for next gen thanks to the pure power/performance issues , but I' d say they' re more likely to find their way onto X360 than a Hard to program POWERPC based Cell with 7 ASYMETRICAL cores.

PC developers make games for PC because it' s easier and the middleware (software and libraries for games creation) is much better.Actually it is said that 360 is equally DEV friendly as PC.

Anyway every generation there are 2-3 PC games worth something , so I' d say that' s why we - and the majority of people called gamers -play console games.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll