Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX
isamu

• Total Posts : 2
OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 06, 2005 23:59
Hi guys. Nice to be here! Just wanted to say this looks like a great forum and thanks to KyottoMecca for the heads up to come here! He is an excellent poster over at GAF.

Anyway as someone who has NEVER played either OutRun 2 or F-ZeroGX before...

1)Which of these two games would you say is more enjoyable?

2)Which one has the longest replay/lasting value?

3)Which one is more graphically pleasing to the eye in your opinion?

They' re both Sega arcade racers that appear to have that magical trademark Sega AM2 touch. And I can' t wait to finally play them!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 00:23
F-Zero GX has that trademark Sega Amusement Vision touch whereas Outrun 2 has that AM2 touch ;)

As for the games themselves, hmmm VERY tough question as I absolutely love both games. Graphically Outrun 2 definitely takes it BUT I do LOVE the futuristic race courses of F-Zero GX with the fancy cityscape, neon lights etc.....

Audio-wise I dig F-Zero GX more, there' s just so much good stuff. Outrun 2 has its share of good music tracks but F-Zero has much more.

Replay value is a toughie to since I invested about the same amount of time in both games.

So in a nutshell my answers are:

GRAPHICS: Outrun 2
SOUND: F-Zero GX
GAMEPLAY: Tie
REPLAY: Tie
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 7 Mar 05 8:24:10 >
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 06:24
Haven' t played outrun2, but I can tell you that f-zero gx is awsome. The speed is amazing, the difficulty level can drive you crazy if you try do the story mode on it' s hardest level especially, and the graphics are top notch. Plus the price is right with it being a players choice title now.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 09:54
Welcome, isamu (don' t I know you from somewhere!) and a fitting first post I would say.

I think I need to spend more time with F-Zero in order to answer any of the above but once I have, I think I' d end up going with OutRun2 for rather predictable reasons...
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 16:14
i think F-zero GX is better than Outrun 2
Fragus_Maximus

• Total Posts : 156
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 16:37
F-zero cause its just better (actually i havn' t even played outrun 2) but the best 2 racing games ever are Burnout 3 and Grand Turismo 4 (srry thats kinda off topic)
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 18:24
I have to go with F-Zero GX on this one. It just has much more lasting appeal. F-Zero also has perfect 16:9 widescreen whereas Out Run 2 stretched the HUD.

Sega rules.
Fragus_Maximus

RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 19:51
I hadn' t considered the screen...good point...i agree
isamu

• Total Posts : 2
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 22:17
Huh? I thought OR2 had proper 16:9 support? *shrug*
Joe Redifer

RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 07, 2005 22:35
Only with the polygons. It stretches things like the MPH gauge, loading screens and whatnot.
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 08, 2005 14:34
I prefer Outrun 2. It has that Sega arcade magic to it - a wonderful game! F-Zero GX is very good, and will take you much longer to complete but it just doesn' t have the same feel as Outrun 2.
Fragus_Maximus

RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 08, 2005 15:48
....F-Zero' s techno musice keeps the game interesting.
mxpx182

RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 08, 2005 20:34

Only with the polygons. It stretches things like the MPH gauge, loading screens and whatnot.

That is the stupidest afterthought bit of programming ever. I suppose it' s better than no 16:9 (damn you retro studios), but why go half way?
Joe Redifer

RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 08, 2005 21:05
Lots and lots of games stretch their 2D environments. Halo 2 is a great example of such a game. You' ll notice that the HUD is stretched (the radar is not perfectly round like it should be). Very few games actually go all the way.

Chalk it up to lazy programmers. Sega is not as lazy as most programmers so F-Zero gets the full treatment whereas Out Run 2 (not programmed by Sega for the consoles) did not. Also who is Retro Studios? I thought Out Run 2 was converted by a company called Samurai Bucket or something incredibly lame like that.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 9 Mar 05 5:06:28 >
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 09, 2005 02:42
Retro Studios did Metroid Prime 1 and 2. Outrun 2 was ported to the xbox by Sumo Digital.
mxpx182

RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 09, 2005 06:01

Also who is Retro Studios? I thought Out Run 2 was converted by a company called Samurai Bucket or something incredibly lame like that.

Retro is the company that makes the metroid prime games. Their games are 2 of the most amazing I' ve ever played, and have ZERO support for 16:9 tv' s . As georgous as they are, I can' t help but think how much better they' d look in 16:9.
music_maniac1965

• Total Posts : 70
RE: OutRun 2 vs F-Zero GX - Mar 26, 2005 11:48

ORIGINAL: isamu

1)Which of these two games would you say is more enjoyable?

2)Which one has the longest replay/lasting value?

3)Which one is more graphically pleasing to the eye in your opinion?

They' re both Sega arcade racers that appear to have that magical trademark Sega AM2 touch. And I can' t wait to finally play them!

first i have to admit that i played Fzero only at my nephew' s house. but here goes:

1) outrun 2, becouse it has more depht than annyone els but expert players can imagine. the shift drift, driving on the line, some stages can be driven a little offroad to cut corners, and so on. this gives this game exelent replay value (improving on your own time trials), and you will play better in the outrun 2 arcade mode when you can really controll your car.

2) here i can not be fair, becouse i have played outrun 3 for over 250 hours, and i do not own a gamecube, so i haven' t played Fzero that much. so all i can safely say is that i will play outrun 2 just as long as outrun the orginal. and i still play that game once in a while.............

3) i must go for outrun 2 again. no fogging, no pop up, and 60 frames a second smoothness coupled with courses designed with far far countrysights and other graphicall coolness. not that Fzero is ugly, but outrun feels more alive.

but, like i said before, i can not truly dig to deep in it, becouse i played Fzero to little.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll