Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Not so good ps3 hardware information
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 50
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 06, 2006 21:27

I' ve seen a video filmed from the side, with a man playing it, and the controller looks completely responsive. He can rotate the plain by its own axis with the left stick, and swing it etc in whatever direction with the gyroscope. So far, it looks far easier to maneuver and even enhanced in areas that would be horrible before - like making an oposite turn.

Are you possible of constructive critisism? Are you only able to see the good things on the PS3? It' s fair to think of it as a great machine, but it does has its flaws, just as the 360 has a few!

Name a few faults, and id almost give you a prize
Cetra

• Total Posts : 153
RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 06, 2006 21:30
and i suppose you have played on it?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 06, 2006 21:55
Here' s Kikizo' s hands-on:
http://games.kikizo.com/news/200605/083.asp
The game isn' t finished and he didn' t play it for long but at least Mr. Wollenschlaeger is a videogame journalist who has actually played the game.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 06, 2006 21:59
Cetra buddy, you ain' t doing yourself ANY favours here. I realise that many Kikizo users have been overly critical about PS3 and Sony in general, but i can hardly blame them.

You' re not the only person who posts here who likes Sony. Shit, just go and read my comments about them in the " fanboy" thread, so there' s no reason whatsoever to defend absolutely everything they do.

I' ve seen a video filmed from the side, with a man playing it, and the controller looks completely responsive. He can rotate the plain by its own axis with the left stick, and swing it etc in whatever direction with the gyroscope. So far, it looks far easier to maneuver and even enhanced in areas that would be horrible before - like making an oposite turn.

Link please.

Cetra

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 06, 2006 23:15
i have it on .mov file

and you know what, your kinda right, this place isnt a proper gaming forum as it mostly contains old sega gamers and nintendo fanboys, what also is kinda boring is that there are almost only 4-5 people who actually are active on this forum, so that doesnt offer a gamer much

especially not when the members also admit it, that the forum aint sony friendly, and you cant blame people for being critical to them? well i can, and there is full rights to do that, i can also blame people for being too little critical about nintendo, when many other sites actually are too

and there is reason to defend what they do, its not like playing a kids game, this is the business market, every step is carefully planned and executed, you can probably count atleast 50 people behind each major feature that we know of in the spotlight, if you knew the industry, so i see reason to defend what they do, especially since they arent doing anything wrong at all
Nitro

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 06, 2006 23:26
Ok, so you disagree with much of what people here have been saying about Sony, that' s cool, -- you' re not the only one. However...

so i see reason to defend what they do, especially since they arent doing anything wrong at all

Since you' re defending them against the critism surrounding; their POOR showing at E3, their overblown pricetag, the removal of features like force-feedback and HDMI (on the core machine, and removal of 1 on the premium), their STUPID announcements/things mentioned in interviews like " we' re supprised we can sell it so cheaply" and " it' ll sell even without any games at launch" (note: not direct quotes), the fact that they haven' t done ANYTHING to make the development process easier and have infact complicated things even more...etc...

...if they haven' t done anything wrong in your eyes, and everything they HAVE done has been carefully calculated, i' d like to know why you think all those things are RIGHT...
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 6 Jun 06 15:55:25 >
ginjirou

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 00:34
From Sony' s point of view they might have done the right decisions but from a consumer point of view it doesn' t as look good.
The price is good according to Sony since the value of the PS3 is much greater. But the question is if people really want that value. We just want to play games and have some fun. Paying $600 for a console that' s no better than the 360 in the graphics area isn' t really something most gamers are willing to do. The Blu-ray is what makes it cost so much but I don' t know if it is that necessary. Especially if the HD-DVD wins the next format war.
I mean, look at the PC market. We have cheap PC' s for regular people that cost about $300-$1000 and PC' s for tech/gamer freaks that cost $2000+. What sells most? The cheap ones of course because even though the more expensive ones have more value the amount of money is just too much for a regular person.
The PS3 has got lots of stuff that makes it worth more than $600 but the question is if we really want that much if it means we have to pay twice as much for it than for a 360 that pretty much does the same thing.
The focus on extremely expensive technology is Sony' s biggest mistake in my opinion. Technology should advance but in smaller steps so it' s easy enough for people to be able to follow.
Imagine Nintendo selling a console that is 10 times better than the PS3/360 at the price of $4000. Would you buy it just because it' s got more value? I doubt it.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 6 Jun 06 16:48:12 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 02:34
What people fail to get is that SONY marketing ps3 as a super computer,that is much better then 360 in terms of power,and also is a HD blu-ray player.

Which also will have the same online system as 360 but being free.

So much crap its disgusting.
I just hope the casuals gamers doesnt fall for this...
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 03:09
I don' t know about the rest of the article but I can say that the bit where it compares triangle output is misleading. Some of you may remember me talking about the unified architecture in the 360... Well I remember when the 360 specs were relesed, MS mentioned that that if the 360 is pushing 500 million polys it doesn' t leave much left for special effects. In other words the 360 would never push 500 polys ingame if they want to the game to look good. I won' t comment on anything else because I don' t base my opinion on one single source, least of all the Inquirer.
QuezcatoL

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 05:48
Japanese multi-platform game magazine Gamaga (formerly Dorimaga), has released a series of polls which shows nearly two-thirds of voters are most interested in the Wii

Which of the 3 next generation consoles do you want to buy?

65.09%: Wii
19.53%: PS3
13.61%: Xbox 360 (including import)
1.78%: None

Even though two-thirds of readers said they " wanted" to buy a Wii, only 57 percent said they were actually going to make the purchase:

Are you going to buy a Wii?

57%: Yes
33%: I’m thinking about it
10%: No

Perhaps the hottest topic outside of the Wii is the PS3' s pricing, on which Dorimaga quizzed voters, with nearly 90 percent saying it was too much for a gaming system. A few pricing pessimists were actually relieved with the " cheaper than expected" pricing:

Is the 62,790 yen price tag for the basic version of the PS3 expensive?

87.57%: This is not a price for a game console.
10.06%: It is not surprising when you look at the features.
2.37%: It is actually less expensive than I feared.

Even more interesting on the PS3 pricing issue, nearly half of the readers said that even if it had good games at launch, the price wouldn' t be justified:

Should the PS3 have great games for the launch, would this push to buy the console even if it is expensive?

46.75%: No
37.87%: I need time to think
15.38%: Yes

Finally, Japanese expressed continuing apathy towards Microsoft' s console, with just over 4 percent of readers saying they would by an Xbox 360. Kind of strange, however, that readers could select " Maybe" or " Thinking about buying" an Xbox 360 (what' s the difference?). Adding those two categories up indicates that half of Gamaga' s readers might buy one:

Will you buy an Xbox 360?

44.97%: No
33.14%: Maybe
17.75%: Thinking about it
4.14%: Yes
Cetra

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 05:52
I have not defended them on each of those points enlisted, however I will now, to offer you another side of it.

Poor showing at E3... matter of taste, i liked it, it gave me good info and got me excited. It can only be about taste, nothing else.

Overblown pricetag? Here you get a machine thats as powerfull as modern gaming computers which costs way more. You also get bluray player, when standalone bluray players costs way more, so the future is secured and the longlivety of the machine is extended. You also get a media centre. Xbox 360 did not include a hd dvd player, and this caused fury in this country atleast. Sony is doing what xbox didnt, with their own format, and Im very thankful for that.

HDMI is a cable type. It is highly overrated that its not included in core version. You can run the same picture through other supported cables, and the only thing which wont be as supported is the new pirate protection. But this hdcp type of security will not be used until 2012 - as both ms and sony have made agreements on this. So, you loose nothing really on not having hdmi. Its just the next hype of cable, good to have but not a must.

About the force feedback, now you know im a sony fan, and according to you im an ignorant one, though that goes against my entire role as a human to be within anything. Do you really think you can have a vibrator next to a gyroscope? If you know your technology, you know this is impossible. And i have personally never seen the use of it, the controller shakes yes? Annoying if you ask me, especially in fighters and shooters.

I am also surprised that someone can sell a playstation 3 for that price which are more powerfull than my own professional gaming computer which I spent around 3-4 times more money on.
ginjirou

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 05:55
Nice points there Cetra, but why can' t you have force feedback with a gyroscope?
QuezcatoL

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 05:59
Xbox360 is getting a HD-DVD,however you doesnt have to buy it.
Dont count that as a disadvantage count that as an advantage,myself could only afford a 360 premium with the cost that is today.
If it had been 200 USD for creating a HD-DVD player for millions this early then i wouldn' t had a 360 today.
or at any time near.
ginjirou

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 06:01
The disadvantage with the 360 HD-DVD is that it won' t be used for games unlike the PS3' s Blu-ray.
Still, why can' t you have force feedback with a gyroscope?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 6 Jun 06 22:01:49 >
Cetra

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 06:01
vibrating will cause a huge possibility of misreading and misfunctioning within the gyroscope, as its sensitive to micromechanical tilting etc. Its like you try to put a key in the door to open it, but someones sticks a vibrator up your ass.

And not to mention how annoying it is ugh. The ONLY thing I' ve liked the vibrating for, is when its timed right with Final Fantasy cutscenes. Elsehow its blurring my hands nerval system, making them sweat faster too.

-

About the dorimaga, wasnt that a famitsu vote? Its the same numbers there ! However, it would be nice to see how many who voted, cause I dont think for famitsus part, that 300 votes was representative for japans gaming population. Also, it would be nice to see a vote of how many are going to buy a hd tv for your new gaming system? I know I do, and its gonna be WAY more expensive than the console.

-

I know the xbox is getting an external hd dvd player, but it wont cost money? whats that about? at e3 that ms dude presented the hd dvd player for it, external even, to me that screams unfinished product, aiming at the console, who wants external crap for their consoles? their supposed to be just that, consoles
< Message edited by Cetra -- 6 Jun 06 22:03:36 >
Nitro

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 06:04

Overblown pricetag? Here you get a machine thats as powerfull as modern gaming computers which costs way more.

No, you get a games machine that is no more powerful than it' s biggest and cheaper rival.

You also get bluray player, when standalone bluray players costs way more, so the future is secured and the longlivety of the machine is extended

IF Blu-Ray becomes the standard! Do you even HAVE a HDTV to use your Blu-Ray player with? Shit, when next-gen movies are released, current gen titles will be driven down in price, and since DVD players can be bought extremely cheaply now (less than the cost of a new game), why would you want to pay more to watch a film in a higher resolution?

But this hdcp type of security will not be used until 2012 - as both ms and sony have made agreements on this.

The decision as to when it will be put into pkace hasn' t been finalised whatosever, only speculated on, and the decision is NOT down to Sony or Microsoft.

Do you really think you can have a vibrator next to a gyroscope? If you know your technology, you know this is impossible

Bullshit. Nintendo have f**king managed it in the Wii mote, so why can' t Sony?! What YOU are doing is believing Sony' s pathetic excuses and making yourself look completely retarded. Sony have had to remove force feedback because of their loss to Immersion, and if Sony weren' t f**king arogant morons, they could have paid Immersion the money they owe them and have licienced their technology.

I am also surprised that someone can sell a playstation 3 for that price which are more powerfull than my own professional gaming computer which I spent around 3-4 times more money on.

Then you' re obviously the kind of dumbass that will pay well over the odds to pick one up on eBay because you couldn' t get a launch unit from a store!
ginjirou

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 06:07
I don' t think the small vibrations of a rumble would affect a gyroscope that much. There has to be a way around it. Nintendo has managed somehow but their technology is different (better).
You think force feedback is annoying. Ok, weird.

300 people doesn' t represent japans population but it should give you a
pretty good idea of what the japanese gamers think. Sometime polls use about 1000 people and those have pretty small error margins. 300 people is just a little less then a third of 1000 so the risk of an error should be three times bigger but that' s still very small.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 6 Jun 06 22:09:23 >
Nitro

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 06:13
The same technology used in Sony' s PS3 pad is also present in both the Wiimote and the nunchuck unit. The Wiimote just has additional motion sensing technology.

Rumble is annoying? Huh, ok, so then you' re saying that Sony' s decision to put force feedback in bothe the PS1 Dual Shock and the PS2 Dual Shock 2 was a BAD idea on Sony' s part, and that it annoyed you?
QuezcatoL

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 06:15
Ever ygamesite has hinted that the lack of the rumble is thanks to the lawsuit.
Btw im off to play table tennis,rumble is extremly importent in that game btw.
If you hit a spinning ball to hard or with to much spin the rumble will tell you.

Cetra

RE: Not so good ps3 hardware information - Jun 07, 2006 07:04
the wiimote does not have a gyroscope so that explains it (the wiimote has accelerometers and motion sensors)

its BULLSHIT to deny the advantages of getting a bluray included in the console

the machine is more powerful, you have some tech wizards on your side, i have some on mine

why would i want to pay more for a high res movie? stupid question, since all of you love xbox 360, which basically is just better graphics, why doesnt it do with the old one? its like asking why we want better in the first place

i remember an article here or on ign that both ms and sony have made this deal with the movie companies, and by the time of 2012, there will be new gens of consoles most probably, and the ps3 will still be functionable for it

about poll numbers, 300 is fit to represent a tiny but large community, variety is much less within 300 people, the reason i want more votes is simply not because its more, but it has greater variety and represents more

if you asked 300 rich punks, they would have no problems with ps3 price, so in larger numbers, you get more representatives from each group, and that can change alot

i personally can do fine without the rumble, it had some great moments but never caught my special attention, it was definitly a right thing to do by sony since most people liked it, including yourself, however, im not one of them, so personally if you ask me? no i dont need the vibrator, but if you ask me as a business question then of course yes its right.

-

i believe immersion won the trial yes, that can be a reason why they couldnt use it, however, sony payed the ticket and they got their credit for the technology, now sony is a company who could afford to buy the whole patent from immersion, so why didnt they?
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 50

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message