Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue
Stimpy182

• Total Posts : 25
Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 08, 2003 23:33
Ok, so I decided to buy a new PC today. Wasn' t planning on it when I went in to work, but I got an email coupon from Dell and they were also offering free shipping this week (which takes off about $100 right there).

I ended up getting a 2.66GHz, 512MB DDR, 30GB HD for $575. Reallly good deal. Got some crappy ATI vid card that' ll get tossed anyways when I swap it with the GeForce 4 ti I' m using now. I' ll also throw in a SB Audigy and possibly another 512MB of DDR.

So that' s all good, but here' s the question. I' m gonna probably take my current PC (700MHZ, 640MB SDRAM, 20GB HD) and put the ATI card in it, take off XP Pro and put Win98 back on so I can play all my older games.

Now, do I spend $150 on a VGA-PS/2 switchbox so I can have both PC' s hooked up to the same keyboard/mouse/monitor/audio system, or spend $80 more and just get another 19" NEC Monitor?

I kinda jumped at the opportunity to get another monitor, but I' m starting to think of the space issue and the fact that I probably won' t need dual display at anytime....at least not in the way that the flip of a desktop switch couldn' t handle.

But my head' s burnt....gimme some pros and cons so I can make a decision within a few days.

Thanks.
otaku

• Total Posts : 195
RE: Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 10, 2003 14:26
I know I' d perfer a 2nd Monitor.
Its cheaper as well - and can sometimes be usefull!
I know it takes up space, but I could live with that - can you though?
dekerd

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 12, 2003 09:04
Well I think two monitors would be really cool. Then all you need is that cool Matrix screensaver with the falling number and letter characters, and it' s like you' re in the Matrix! But seriously...

$150 > $80

Two monitors it is! Think of how cool your room would look!
Eman1080

• Total Posts : 77
RE: Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 12, 2003 23:27
what kind of computer did you get?
otaku

• Total Posts : 195
RE: Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 15, 2003 14:47

Well I think two monitors would be really cool. Then all you need is that cool Matrix screensaver with the falling number and letter characters, and it' s like you' re in the Matrix!

I never thought how cool it would look! the screen saver is installed on all the linux machines in uni - so when I get back I might remotely enable it across the network - and take a picture!!
eyerule

• Total Posts : 50
RE: Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 19, 2003 02:03
Cool stuff man. :) I' m trying to find a decent laptop for a decent price...
Sleepy Pig

• Total Posts : 12
RE: Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 25, 2003 04:01
I have a 1.5ghz Laptop, 30gb hard drive, pathetic Video card. It is what I use the most but I have better PCs, I sometimes have 2 screens, I tried to hook up a TV and a 2nd Screen but Windows Xp only supports 2 screens :(
Sleepy Pig

RE: Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 25, 2003 04:05
I have a 1.5ghz Laptop, 30gb hard drive, 256mb Ram, Pathetic Videocard, S-Video output. I tried to hook up 3 screens one time, 1 tv, 1 screen, 1 laptop LCD and on the TV and Screen they showed the same stuff because Windows XP only supports 2 screens which is kind of a bummer.
Sleepy Pig

RE: Need Your Collective Opinion...PC issue - Apr 25, 2003 04:08
Can some one delete this post and one of the above posts, and you should make it so people can edit and delete their own posts

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll