Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form!
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 36 of 36
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 12, 2006 20:10

ORIGINAL: Evil Man

I am not impressed.

My thoughts exactly and I would add it looks likt S**t.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 02:42
Guys its only 2.8 " think including the screen, and because its water cooled it would be much cooler and nearly silent at the same time. Well I think its cool. I' d kill to have one. It' s so useful in college. I have so much free time at school, I have spares that range from 2 to 5 hours. My school has a pub where many students bring their laptops, I could bring that 360 and some headphones. Awsome...
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 05:19
Yes the keyboard works, I think whoever posted that meant games don' t use the keyboard.

The goal was to make a portable xbox 360.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 08:05
It was very nice of him to show us how not to do it.. But, Kudos for trying anyway.

I think it looks hideous..
dasher232

RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 08:18
I know this is off topic but didn' t wanna waste a whooe new thrad to ask a question but can someone tell me if this is true

Toshiba just yesterday announced a new three-layer disc technology that will enable HD DVD discs to play on ordinary DVD players.

if so does that kinda solve the not needing blu-ray/ hd-dvd for games just yet?

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/5575/53/

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/5582/983/
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 13 Sep 06 0:24:24 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 08:24
Omg,if they actually done that thjey are geniuses
dasher232

RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 08:26

Toshiba three-layer disc supports DVD and HD DVD
By Stan Beer
Tuesday, 12 September 2006
Toshiba and Memory-Tech have jointly announced a new single-sided three-layer disc that is compatible with both DVD and high definition HD DVD players.

The novel discs can have either two layers of HD DVD and one layer of DVD or the reverse. This means that movie companies can package two versions of the same movie in each format if they so desire and the discs can be played on either a standard DVD player as well as an HD DVD player.

Previously, HD DVD discs could not be played on a standard DVD player but a DVD can be played on either an HD DVD player or its rival high definition Blu-ray player

The new discs can support up to 30GB of HD DVD and 4.7GB of DVD. While the capacity of the HD DVD is still lower than the 50GB available with Blu-ray discs, Sony and its partners have yet to come up with an equivalent hybrid Blu-ray and DVD combo disc.
Agent Ghost

RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 08:29
I knew it was physically possible but I didn' t know if it was legally possible. Kinda puts a new spin on the whole fucking format debate. If they start producing these suckers soon, Sony is going to be sitting there with both thumbs up their asses desperately trying to devise a new media format for ps4.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 08:41
If this goes to market soon it could spell disaster for Blu-Ray (which REQUIRES a blue laser to read the data). Toshiba came out the winner in the last DVD batle and it could very well go their way again.
dasher232

RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 08:47

In a two-layer HD DVD configuration, the new TWIN disc has a 30GB HD DVD capacity, plus 4.7GB of standard DVD capacity. Configured to maximize standard DVD content, the disc can support 8.5GB on two layers, plus 15GB of HD DVD content on the third layer. DVD content can be played back on a standard DVD player, while HD DVD players can play back both formats.

Wouldn' t that be enough for games?.

The new disc also maintains two defining features of the HD DVD format: a low cost and highly efficient manufacturing process. Memory-Tech has developed a new disc manufacturing procedure that adds an additional process to form the third layer, but does so on the same disc replication machines that can be used for DVD and HD DVD mass production.

I liked those bits. Sounded genius, and consumer friendly.
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 13 Sep 06 0:52:32 >
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 09:20
Could this be a surprise that M$ were holding back on for TGS or X06?

I dunno..

Dasher, this should really get its own thread, because it is quite huge!
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 10:00

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

If this goes to market soon it could spell disaster for Blu-Ray (which REQUIRES a blue laser to read the data). Toshiba came out the winner in the last DVD batle and it could very well go their way again.

HD-DVD requires a blue laser as well.

Don' t get too excited, fellas! They' re not saying that HD-DVDs can be read by a regular DVD player. They' re saying that instead of having a hybrid disc that you have to flip over (one side, regular DVD; one side, HD-DVD), they can now put both on the same side. While this is a great technological feat, it won' t affect us TOO much!

ORIGINAL: dasher232

MS has already stated that the add-on is for movies only, but feel free to speculate all you want. They may change that, but I' ll believe it when I see it.
Agent Ghost

RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 10:13
You' re Chee Saw right but just to make things clear HD-DVD players have a Blue-violet laser that is entirely different from both DVDs and Blu-Ray.

I just think its a huge advantage to be able to buy a DVD/HD-DVD movie if you' re waiting for prices to drop on HD-DVD players and/or HD tvs before you make the plunge into high def. Its an effective way to build your marketshare without forcing the consumer to commit, an interesting contrast with what Sony is doing with the ps3 and Blu-Ray.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 10:25

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

I just think its a huge advantage to be able to buy a DVD/HD-DVD movie if you' re waiting for prices to drop on HD-DVD players and/or HD tvs before you make the plunge into high def. Its an effective way to build your marketshare without forcing the consumer to commit, an interesting contrast with what Sony is doing with the ps3 and Blu-Ray.

In theory, it sounds great, but considering that the hybrid HD-DVDs cost between $30 to $40, while a regular HD-DVD costs about $20 makes no f*cking sense! Maybe this new tech will bring the price down, though I doubt it.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 10:32

if so does that kinda solve the not needing blu-ray/ hd-dvd for games just yet?

Well yes and no Blue ray can have up to 4 layers and up to 200 gb per disc I havent seen any but I' am Sure they will pop up sometime

How much data can you fit on a Blu-ray disc?

A single-layer disc can hold 25GB.
A dual-layer disc can hold 50GB.

To ensure that the Blu-ray Disc format is easily extendable (future-proof) it also includes support for multi-layer discs, which should allow the storage capacity to be increased to 100GB-200GB (25GB per layer) in the future simply by adding more layers to the discs.

Source

But that is just on the consern of HD Content I dought the ps3 can read a 4 layer disc but maybe I am Wrong

Well yeah but the 360 isnt Using The HD-DVD drive for games

You' re Chee Saw right but just to make things clear HD-DVD players have a Blue-violet laser that is entirely different from both DVDs and Blu-Ray.

Yeah but they all use an blue Diode That they are short on

Things are looking dicey for both HD DVD and Blu-ray, because a key component has suddenly become scarce: blue laser diode yield rates are only 30% according to Nichia, a company responsible for 80% of the blue laser diode supply. The diodes are used in both HD DVD and Blu-ray players, and the shortfall will severely limit the number of players that can be shipped.

Sources said only Pioneer and Plextor are currently able to maintain shipments of products using the blue diodes, with Toshiba soon joining them. Another source says any new models using those diodes might be postponed until 2007. This has certainly been a rough start for both high definition disc formats. – Charlie White

Source
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Modded Xbox 360 in laptop form! - Sep 13, 2006 23:29
this is a nice thing for consumers , but like chee saw said - it' s not that big of a deal for gamers.

I' d rather get a cheap DVD movie than more expensive HD DVD movie that contains the DVD version as well.

And if I' m an HD kinda guy , why would I want the HD and DVD version?

This would all make perfect sense if those HD DVDs were priced like todays DVDs
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 36 of 36

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread