Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 30, 2007 21:30

Microsoft' s Peter Moore has declared that there' s nothing about PlayStation 3 which could give it the edge over Xbox 360 in the next-gen console war.

" I really don' t know what I would look at there that we' re really missing," he told IGN.

" I look at the games and I feel really good at where we stand from a portfolio point of view. The online service, they' re still trying to get it up to speed and there' s nothing really there that I can really point to that I wish we had.

" You know, certainly the price point of the PS3 isn' t something that I want to emulate. It' s very difficult for me to point to anything there that I think we' re missing right now," he concluded.

When it comes to Microsoft' s other rival in the console space, Moore said he is " certainly a big fan" of the Nintendo Wii. However, he described the company' s strategy as " what Nintendo needs to do" , suggesting that " it ties directly into their strong intellectual property that is more youth oriented and more family oriented" .

Microsoft recently met its target of selling more than 10 million consoles to retail by the end of 2006, but has cut its shipping forecast for the months up to July from 13 - 15 million units to 12 million units.

LINK

I can think of a couple of things actually...
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 03:50
Don' t you just love executives?
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 05:25

Elaborate?
Nitro

RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 05:38

ORIGINAL: immortaldanmx

Elaborate?

With pleasure....

HDD as standard. M/K support. 100% BC. Free online. The ability to run a proper OS.

...that kind of thing.

Dagashi

RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 06:01

HDD as standard. M/K support. 100% BC. Free online. The ability to run a proper OS.

I will add a few that I think are noting, on top of what Nitro already said;

Bluetooth on 60gig models, and with 20gigs being phased out that means it will be on
all models. Slots for SD and Micro SD, Sony Duo, and CF. Wireless connectivity(no ethernet cords, just plug it in and it will connect to your wireless network. HDMI output. Hardrives that are easily taken out and replaced with new ones. I' m not sure if I' m right, but I heard a rumor the HD' s in ps3' s are the same as laptop HD' s? If that' s the case, that would mean easy, and cheap HD upgrades.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 06:33

The ability to run a proper OS.

I don' t think this is very relevant though. How many of all those 360 buyers will use an OS on their console? Dreamcast also had a Linux version already but I guess most gamers mainly stick to using their consoles for playing games.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 06:34
I agree with him as far as games go. The only game series i want is god of war, and its not like its gonna kill me to not have it. I' m satisfied with everything on the 360, except i would prefer a larger hard drive. I have 11 gb left on my HD so im not too concerned right now.
Dagashi

RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 07:07

I don' t think this is very relevant though. How many of all those 360 buyers will use an OS on their console? Dreamcast also had a Linux version already but I guess most gamers mainly stick to using their consoles for playing games.

That was a long time ago, before mass downloading of media, and before many peoples TV' s supported HD output.

Today, lots of people have television shows, movies, music, clips of assorted things, programs, and countless other things on their computers that they would like to be able to easily view on their living room TV sets.

Linux allows people to do this. I personally believe having the ability to remotely access files from your pc through your living room console is extremely useful. Hence the reason MS has gone and added this feature to Vista and the Xbox360. Now, tons of you love what MS does, and they just did this, so don' t tell me its not a very useful feature, because MS obviously thought it was, enough to advertise about it on every page that they advertise Vista.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 09:40
I love my 360, but the more I hear about PS3 and how everything it offers is better than 360, I' m stuck now wondering if I need to sell my 360 and buy a PS3?

Dagashi

RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 11:29

I love my 360, but the more I hear about PS3 and how everything it offers is better than 360, I' m stuck now wondering if I need to sell my 360 and buy a PS3?

You definitely don' t need to sell it. It' s still a good piece of hardware (if not very reliable in some cases), and it has quite a few good games out and quite a few more in development. The reason I and possibly others post about the ps3, is that it shouldn' t be written off because it lacks the amount of titles the x360 currently has. Both systems have strengths, and both have weaknesses.

I personally plan to own a ps3, xbox360, and nintendo wii, before I go and buy a new computer to run the upcoming DX10 games. Right now my comp can run anything that is out, and I personally think 3 consoles amounting to about $1500 for all the controllers and accesories I would want, will offer far more gameplay than spending $3000 on a fully specc' d out computer in 4-6 months to run the latest PC games. Now if I didn' t already own a PC, I would think otherwise, but I do, and its pretty good, so I would only be getting a new one for gaming purposes.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 11:35

M/K support.

Mortal Kombat support? Wouldn' t that be a BAD thing?
Dagashi

RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 11:39

Mortal Kombat support? Wouldn' t that be a BAD thing?

I don' t know whether you are joking or not. I' m assuming you know what that acronym stands for.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 12:35
I do not. Mario Kart maybe? It' s hard to say when talking about game systems because almost everyone uses acronyms... no chance to see the real word/term evar!

Oh wait... mouse keyboard. I didn' t even think about that since this is a game console we are talking about.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 31 Jan 07 8:52:00 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 14:24
Lol Joe.

Yeah the 360 is missing a few things, but lets see how things are implemented.

the Harddisk as a standard would have been nice, but seeing how little or no developers utilized it on the first 360, it probably wouldnt be used much on the 360 either. The idea of pre installing games doesnt really sound appealing to me.

M/K support, well if it wasnt for linux it would be quite useless, if i want to play games with a M/K ill play them on my PC, the only thing that would really bennefit from it is MMORPG that need a lot of buttons.

Linux? Iv got my PC, with a proper OS, i dont need it infront of the tv.

But then again more features can never be bad, so it all counts for the PS3 if they work properly
Dagashi

RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 15:16

M/K support, well if it wasnt for linux it would be quite useless, if i want to play games with a M/K ill play them on my PC, the only thing that would really bennefit from it is MMORPG that need a lot of buttons.

I dono about you, but I can' t wait for the day that I can play console FPS with my mouse and keyboard. Put the best console gamer using a controller up against someone like Fatal1ty with a M/K and they will get completely destroyed. I prefer M/K for FPS anyday, but consoles have a lot of FPS that PC' s never get, not to mention there aren' t nearly as many hackers/glitchers playing online with consoles compared to PC.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 17:11
Except in halo 2. Not so much anymore though I guess.
The reason games don' t support M/K is because most people play in a living room setting where it would be hard to use. So if you let people use M&K they would have an unfair advantage over the people using joysticks to aim.

I' m pretty sure any game they make could use a mouse. They would just have to make the drivers part of the game software.

although with as much autoaim as halo 2 has it would be a very close battle against a K&M user.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 18:01

I dono about you, but I can' t wait for the day that I can play console FPS with my mouse and keyboard. Put the best console gamer using a controller up against someone like Fatal1ty with a M/K and they will get completely destroyed. I prefer M/K for FPS anyday, but consoles have a lot of FPS that PC' s never get, not to mention there aren' t nearly as many hackers/glitchers playing online with consoles compared to PC.

Having M/K support on a console will set the gamers a part, people playing with M/K will slaughter those with controllers thus ruining it for those who just want to sit back in the couch and play!
Nitro

RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Jan 31, 2007 19:28
Without M/K support for games, cross platform gaming (say 360 & PC) simply won' t work. Now Microsoft are pushing Shadowrun, a game that they will be cross platform. This is something that Microsoft are talking about themselves, and all it would take is simply not letting people playing with a mouse and keyboard play with people who are using a pad. An extra option [requirement] on the server that you must use a M/K or a pad, ...and with 360 pads usable on PC anyway i can' t see the problem.

Auto-aim solves nothing.

Proper mouse & keyboard support would allow people like loco who play using a desk, play against PC gamers competitively using their console.

Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Feb 01, 2007 02:17
Mouse and keyboard control schemes do not belong on consoles. Period. If you want a m/k, then hook up a pc to your television. With a gamepad being standard, that means that everyone is ALWAYS on equal footing.

Having a Windows OS on my console is also NOT appealing! And you KNOW they won' t use Linux! It' s Microsoft, ffs!

That being said, I feel like at least a 100GB hard drive should be standard, and the core system should get the 20GB. I' d also like to see video support for something other than WMV files.

Free Xbox Live would also be desirable, but considering the quality you get for $50 a year, I' ll take the fee compared to the online services that Sony and Nintendo offer. I do like the fact that the Wii includes wireless network connectivity out of the box. That' s strong!
Dagashi

RE: Ming-alike says MS isn' t missing a darn thing! - Feb 01, 2007 02:41

I do like the fact that the Wii includes wireless network connectivity out of the box. That' s strong!

Wii and ps3

Proper mouse & keyboard support would allow people like loco who play using a desk, play against PC gamers competitively using their console.

Exactly. Gamepads are slow and innacurate compared to M/K

The reason games don' t support M/K is because most people play in a living room setting where it would be hard to use

Wireless is your friend

ORIGINAL : Chee Saw

Mouse and keyboard control schemes do not belong on consoles. Period. If you want a m/k, then hook up a pc to your television.

thats why I said this...

ORIGINAL : Avarice
I prefer M/K for FPS anyday, but consoles have a lot of FPS that PC' s never get, not to mention there aren' t nearly as many hackers/glitchers playing online with consoles compared to PC.

and to add to that. I don' t plan on getting a new PC that can run games like Unreal Tournament 3 and all the others coming along the line. The one I use now would barely manage with those games, and definitely wouldn' t look as good as a ps3 or xbox360.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message