Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Nov 30, 2006 03:45

Like most game software, content on the Xbox Live Marketplace is region-specific -- meaning users don' t have access to content outside of their region. For instance, someone in the UK can' t download a demo that was released on the American version of the Marketplace. To get around this inconvenience, users have been setting up " dummy" accounts that trick the online service into thinking they are downloading from within whichever region holds the content they' re after. Microsoft appears to have caught on, however, and will be blocking further " unauthorized" downloads from these accounts.

In a brief statement on the Gaming Age forums, Microsoft' s Chris Placer explained that the accounts won' t be banned altogether: " Details aren' t all in yet -- BUT, I do know for a fact that we are NOT banning the accounts. We are blocking downloads in cases where gold accounts are being used to gain US content in foreign marketplaces. I think (my opinion) that it is a legal issue -- still waiting to hear back the official word."

In the past, content that was exclusive to one region or another was rare. But now with the addition of TV shows and movies to the U.S. Marketplace, Microsoft is apparently worried that these dummy accounts will pose more of a threat to its business model. Microsoft has not disclosed when it will make video content available outside the U.S.

source link for the picky nerds

....do you think anyone at Microsoft understands the concept of ' globalisation' ?...

...or maybe they just prefer the ' tight-fisted wanker' approach...
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Nov 30, 2006 03:47
Can' t they do this after the Japanese get the Lost Odyssey demo??

Why now?

Damn c*cks..
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Nov 30, 2006 04:20

In a brief statement on the Gaming Age forums, Microsoft' s Chris Placer explained that the accounts won' t be banned altogether: " Details aren' t all in yet -- BUT, I do know for a fact that we are NOT banning the accounts. We are blocking downloads in cases where gold accounts are being used to gain US content in foreign marketplaces. I think (my opinion) that it is a legal issue -- still waiting to hear back the official word."
They didn' t say US users were going to be blocked for downloading from say, Germany. (I still love that beautiful German loophole that had ' em release the Rainbow Six demo early)
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Nov 30, 2006 09:22

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

....do you think anyone at Microsoft understands the concept of ' globalisation' ?...

...or maybe they just prefer the ' tight-fisted wanker' approach...

It' s mainly because of bandwidth problems. Microsoft is finding it hard to cope with the demand for the video marketplace - hence the slow download speeds that are currently rampant. One way to alleviate this is to stop international users downloading content that they' re not meant to have access to anyway. It' s like trying to feed 10 million people with a meal that' s only big enough for 3 million.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Nov 30, 2006 10:19
I don' t give a fuck.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Nov 30, 2006 11:38

It' s like trying to feed 10 million people with a meal that' s only big enough for 3 million.

In light of this, would you say that the internet is more like a series of tubes, or a big truck?
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Nov 30, 2006 12:40

ORIGINAL: Zoy

It' s like trying to feed 10 million people with a meal that' s only big enough for 3 million.

In light of this, would you say that the internet is more like a series of tubes, or a big truck?

Whatever makes sense for you I guess? I' ve never been good at analogies.

My point was that Microsoft simply doesn' t have the bandwidth currently available to cope with a demand that never was supposed to have been as big as it is.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Dec 01, 2006 00:38

I don' t give a fuck.

...well i must admit, i' m not exactly crying an ocean...

.....i was merely thinking of the well-being of those poor European cavemen in Eyerack.....
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Microsoft Gets Wise to " Dummy" Live Accounts - Dec 01, 2006 03:17

I don' t give a fuck.
Y' know, that' s the exact response I get from most pirates on why the D/L games & music for free. They know they' re hurting the system, but they want it, so they don' t care how they get it. Nice avatar BTW.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoy

quote:

Whatever makes sense for you I guess? I' ve never been good at analogies.
LOL. Heh, you missed the joke UnluckyOne, search for " Series of Tubes" on Wikipedia.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll