Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)...
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 12, 2004 19:22
Finally!!! I have the time to get my first impressions to one and all...

Here goes...

To start off, I would say two things:

1) Thanks, Adam!!! ...and,
2) Forget everything you have read about Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders prior to this.

Now, with that out of the way, let' s do this right.

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders is neither too difficult nor lacking in gameplay and/or replay value.

The game starts you off with one group of infantrymen, and throws you into battle immediately. This battle is so easy that to lose would mean one of three things: 1) you didn' t pay attention to the instructions that your read, or 2) you didn' t read the instructions, or 3) you weren' t meant to play this game.

It' s not rocket science...just think logically, and you will do just fine.

The graphics are totally awesome!!! I have yet to be disappointed by any graphical detail in this game. No, it' s not perfect, but considering the sheer number of soldiers (good or evil) that may be on-screen at any one time, Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders gets the job done better than any other game I have experienced in my 27+ years of gaming...and that' s saying a lot!!!

By the way, the game map is H-U-G-E!!!!!

One graphical detail that made all the difference (to me) was when I was watching the archers launching their volleys. I noticed that there were at least two sizes of soldier, one a bit larger than the other. Another detail I really liked was the lighting of the arrows by one man, running and lighting the entire line of archer arrows, just before we set the forest ablaze.

Control is as easy as you make it...if you are clumsy, it will show. However, if you take the time to learn the controls, you will be more successful. You can control the soldier formation from tight (slow movement), to slightly separated (medium speed), to full-blown spread-out (fast movement). Each of these formations has their benefits based upon specific situations.

I will say one thing, though...if you get into battle, and you give instructions to one or more of your soldier groups, keep an eye on their progress! I gave an order to my sappers to retreat from battle, and they did not follow the given order (for whatever reason). The result - they died and I failed the mission, as the sappers were needed to complete the mission. A moment of clumsiness on my part caused a soldier group their lives...just like real life.

To be able to call another leader for assistance is awesome in itself...not necessarily needed all too often (at least early on), but good to have.

Gameplay covers everything: training, pre-battle planning stage, barracks stage to equip and upgrade skills, the pub to overhear your soldier' s thoughts about past and future battles, strategic placement of soldier groups, combat, and post-battle briefings.

I will say that one of the coolest equipment concepts I have ever seen in any RTS/RPG game is where certain equipment can be only used by particular individuals that have achieved a specific level of experience. Even if you have the money for an item, it doesn' t mean that you are experienced enough to equip the item. Thus, the game prevents such events.

To say that Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders has a steep learning curve is a little too harsh. I won my first 5 (or so) battles without any difficulties. It wasn' t until I got to the first real powerful leader that my people started to die off rather quickly.

This quick-death experience was due to semi-poor planning on my part, not because the game became too difficult.

My problem was that I would give one leader all the experience points and give little-to-nothing to the others. To increase my leader' s skills and abilities means that my troops become better fighters. Also, I did not properly address the equipment upgrades for my soldiers. So, just as in real life, my infantrymen, archers, and sappers (trap dismantlers and setters) suffered in battle.

Game sound is rather excellent - the swords are a clankin' , you can hear the archers pull their bows back to prepare an arrow launch, and you can hear the sappers working to destroy or set a trap. Rock-laden tracks play during most of the game.

Some times the game characters talk during preparation for battle. This is usually small talk which is both a little cheesy and quite entertaining.

Replay value, though I haven' t finished my first play-through, looks to be a definite plus for this title. I chose to play through as the human leader this time, but was initially offered the chance to play as either the humans OR the evil side.

When I complete play throughs for the currently available lead characters, I will unlock other lead characters. Each character has its own vantage point in the story, so the game will play through differently for each of these characters and their armies.

Overall, this is just one awesome game!!!

Graphics: 9.5 - Though not perfect, consider the sheer number of onscreen combatants. Game map is HUGE!!!
Gameplay: 10 - Remember to address equipment and skills for all leaders AND troops.
Control: 9.5 - As intuitive as can be for an RTS using a controller-type setup. Just remember to follow up on your soldier groups after orders are given...just to be sure they are followed.
Sound: 9.0 - Maybe just a little more variety in the background music would have been appreciated, but awesome just the same.
Replay Value: 10 - Plenty of gameplay to begin with...and just that much more to re-play through!!!
Enjoyment Factor: 10 - I cannot lie...I LOVE THIS GAME!!!
Overall: 9.7 (an approximate average) - Only the original Halo ranks up this high on my personal ratings.
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 12/12/2004 7:35:11 PM >
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 13, 2004 22:33
Thanks, DaRoosh. Good review. Glad your' re enjoying the game. I have this in my rental queue and hope to get it as soon as I finish with Rygar.
DaRoosh65

RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 15, 2004 03:35
I just wish I had more time to concentrate on setting my tactics into motion and learning all the different abilities...luckily, the holidays are almost here - that' s when I should get the chance.

Just hope I get it down before Mech Assault 2 comes out...
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 15, 2004 04:11
I dont have a single game like this but ive been interested in getting one. This game sounds quite worth it. Thanks for the very nice reveiw. I' ll probably go pick it up this weekend.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 15, 2004 05:14
I' ve played a bit of it, and while there' s no way I could see fit to give it that high of a score (as a reviewer, I find much more than .3 deductions, and that only took about an hour), the game is very good.

I want it for Christmas, actually, but there are a few games ahead of it on the priority list.
DaRoosh65

RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 15, 2004 11:39
Hey, fathoms!

Don' t you have like a whole lot of RPG' s on that list?

Have you looked into the Lord of the Rings: Third Age game? It' s supposed to be a turn-based RPG that does not follow the mainstream storyline, but stays within the time period. It' s getting mostly good ratings across the board...

Just in case you haven' t had the time to research this game, I have included a Lord of the Rings: Third Age link for you.

Take note that there are other links to alternate reviews near the bottom of that same page.

I just turned my attention to this one a couple of days ago, but it looks to be a new edition to my wishlist.
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 15, 2004 13:54
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Third Age is dire. Think Final Fantasy stripped of everything Final or Fantastic until only combat remains. Then add a slew of hideously overpowered characters with powers that make 99% of battles a walk in the park. There' s no shopping, no NPC interaction, just nice graphics and spectacular effects.

Having said that, it' s still reasonably addictive and very newb-friendly, so it might serve as a satisfying introduction to rpg-ing, but that' s about it. My girlfriend stuck with it until the end, and now she wants to play FFX, after I told her the two games follow the same design philosophy.

I' m just happy I didn' t have to pay for it, as I received a review copy of the game two months ago.

Edit: Oh, and Kingdom Under Fire is already on my list, just waiting for the price to drop, even if I got it now, I couldn' t find time for it.
< Message edited by dismiss -- 12/15/2004 1:57:03 PM >
fathoms

RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 15, 2004 16:28
DaRoosh/Dismiss: I was looking into The Third Age; it' s averaging about 76% at GameRankings. It seems like it' s received well by most reviewers, but it' s just nothing special. There is a significant lack of " RPG depth" that many RPG fans are used to now, but the majority of players have agreed that it' s a lot of fun. It' s another game that I do want to play, but I still have some catching up to do before I get to it.

I still need to play:

Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Fable
Burnout 3
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Shin Megami Nocturne
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

As you can see, there are 3 RPG' s on that list already.
DaRoosh65

RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 17, 2004 01:36
Have you played, Bard' s Tale?

Despite Gamespot' s rating, this game has done very well for itself. Check the bottom of the page...it' s been averaging in the 80' s.

This isn' t a turn-based RPG, but the action is solid.

And...it' s funny as he**!!!

I' m having a blast experiencing every moment, rather than having an RPG that you just want to rush through.

You can see that the developer did a lot of homework to make what you see, hear and feel the most engrossing experience you have ever known.

You may want to look into this XBOX title, fathoms...when you get time, of course.
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 12/17/2004 1:45:40 AM >
fathoms

RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 17, 2004 05:35
DaRoosh: I' ll think about it, but as you can see by my previous list, it might take a while to get to it.
Plis

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Impressions (as promised)... - Dec 19, 2004 17:40
i got this game a while back seems to have slipped under peoples radars a bit, have enjoyed it a lot its a nice balance between quick strategy and the upclose outnumbering fighting from the dynasty warriors series. only problem i must say i have and whether this is my disc or the pal version but in all the voice acting cutscenes the word ' patriach' just isnt said which is strange to say the least but apart from that ive enjoyed kingdom under fire a lot from the 2 and a half campaigns i have played so far.

plis

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message