Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Kid Killed by Gameboy?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 02:43
Link

UK tabloid The Daily Mirror today leads with a story of a tragic holiday accident and a half-page headline stating: " Killed by Xmas Game Boy."

The story, also on the red top' s website, tells of 7 year-old Connor O' Keefe, who was electrocuted while unplugging a charger in his hotel room in Thailand.

" There should be some kind of warning about different electrical currents you get abroad because this would not have happened in England," said the mother of the child, Kathleen Curry.

She also said that Connor was aware of the dangers of electricity, while police at the Sunset Beach Hotel in Phuket described the incident as a tragic accident.

All Game Boy handhelds come with numerous safety warnings in the manual and on printed leaflets, detailing consumer information and precautions. Instruction booklets also warn that devices ' must be used with the recommended power supply' , and that they conform to the EEC' s Low Voltage Directive.

Nintendo was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 02:47
One out of millions isn' t bad. You have any idea as to how many kids die for stupid reasons? People die from stupid shit all the time. I bet Fisher Price is more leathal than Nintendo. This kid probably isn' t even the first to get electrocuted by a gameboy.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 5 Jan 07 18:50:12 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 02:59
Erm, he would have been using an adapter anyway.

Thailand' s power outlets have come under fire before as most aren' t grounded properly if at all. People have had electrical equipment with sensitive components damaged just by having them plugged in, and even i got shocked by an improperly grounded lamp.

They use 3 pronged plugs but more often than not the third is blank and so like 2 pronged plugs they' re ungrounded by their very nature, and faced with the fact that their flat sockets are exactly the same size when one should actually be smaller to allow you to determine the correct way around, when you plug it in the wrong way around the polarity is different and you get electrocuted.

Power sockets are dangerous in Thailand!
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 03:11
Your a well traveled man Majik! Canada, Thailand. Where else?
Nitro

RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 05:50
Egypt, Israel, South Africa, Mexico, different parts of the US, Portugal, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, Japan, Greece, Spain, Cyprus, Italy, Malta, France, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Romania etc.

Russia, Cuba and Brazil are on my agenda for the next two years, ...as are China and Mauritius - both of which i' m visiting within the next 6 months.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 05:53
Which countries are your favourite ones?
Nitro

RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 05:56
Canada.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 05:59
Hmm, Canada is one of the countries I' d like to visit.
I don' t travel much but I hope I will in the future.
Duffman

RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 07:04

Egypt, Israel, South Africa, Mexico, different parts of the US, Portugal, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, Japan, Greece, Spain, Cyprus, Italy, Malta, France, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Romania etc.

Fuck! Thats alot of travelling! I have only been in England and the USA. I haven' t even been to mainland Europe yet
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 07:09
Only two? even i have been in over eight countries
Duffman

RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 07:18
Oh wait I forgot that I was briefly in Canada, I flew into Toronto and also went to the Niagra falls. So thats 3 countries!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 07:44
Isn' t Niagra falls near Toronto?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 08:13
If you visit Canada don' t bother with Toronto, visit Vancouver instead.
Duffman

RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 08:44

Isn' t Niagra falls near Toronto?

Its roughly a 3 hour drive.

If you visit Canada don' t bother with Toronto, visit Vancouver instead.

Well you see I was staying in Buffalo NY, and so I flew into Toronto and went across the border to Buffalo so unfortuantly I didn' t see much of Canada but I would love to go back.
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 18:38
Sure it' s a sad story, but if someone was killed by some other electrical appliance, it perhaps would not have been reported at all. But it' s a gaming related item, games are the devil incarnate according to your average newspaper, so they just had to report on it, didn' t they?

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 06, 2007 19:31
If I were Nintendo, I' d sue the hotel for not preventing his death. If that kid would have lived, he would have spent a lot of money on Nintendo products. Since he died, that is loss of revenue for Nintendo and they are entitled to it.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 07, 2007 03:58
Hahaha, love the response Joe.

As for the topic of traveling, if you go to Canada, either check out the east coast(New Brunswich, PEI, Nova Scotia) and Quebec, or go the the west, and check out the Rockies in Alberta and then go to the interior or the coast of BC.

If you ski/snowboard, then go to the interior of BC for some of the best mountains in the world.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 07, 2007 09:58
Wow, we go from talking about a kid getting killed from a GB to the countries Majik visited
Nitro

RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 07, 2007 10:01

ORIGINAL: mastachefbkw

Wow, we go from talking about a kid getting killed from a GB to the countries Majik visited

Yeah, and i was even talking about why the kid got shocked.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 7 Jan 07 2:01:23 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Kid Killed by Gameboy? - Jan 07, 2007 10:09

Yeah, and i was even talking about why the kid got shocked.

Stupidity? Thailand? Mom blaming nintendo because of something not being put as a warning, even though if it hadnt happened, its not like she read it anyway?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message