Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Highly Interactive environments need to become standard in all next-generation games!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Highly Interactive environments need to become standard in all next-generation games! - Jun 07, 2005 21:49
I believe with the incredibly powerful engines under the respective hoods of all three next-gen consoles it' s high time that more games allow for higher levels of interaction with their respective gaming environments.

Games like the Otogi series were pretty good with that stuff and unfortunately were so few and far in-between.

Fighting games appear to already be heading in that direction, the original Fighting Vipers started the trend and the Dead or Alive series took it to that whole other level... Namco seems to agree that more environmental interactivity would be cool in their fighting games which is probably why both Tekken 5 and the upcoming Soul Calibur III contains at least some environmental interactivity with the arena floors and some of the background objects able to receive some damage.

In a future Dead or Alive or other fighting game I' d like to be able to grab onto portions of the environments and use them to my advantage during a match. With Driving/Racing games I' d like to see some environmental as well as vehicle damage after crashing into a building or structure of any kind.

Static, non-interactive backgrounds/environments are SOOO yesterday!!1!
SockmoVet2005

• Total Posts : 22
RE: Highly Interactive environments need to become standard in all next-generation games! - Jun 07, 2005 22:20
EXACTLY! But we are getting a racing game like the one you described. I think its called Full Auto. Its like Twisted Metal meets Need for Speed meets burnout. Its really nice, you shoot a rocket at a gas station, it blows up. Someone blows you 15 feet in the air and your car hits the side of a building, gravel and rock and bricks will come tumbling. Hit a telephone pole? Itll come crashing down, totaling your car even more than it already is. Full Auto is also gonna be online with XBOX Live 8 player multiple deathmatch, and downloadable content in the future. This game is just so innovative, i cant wait to try it out.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Highly Interactive environments need to become standard in all next-generation games! - Jun 08, 2005 04:15

ORIGINAL: Terry Bogard

In a future Dead or Alive or other fighting game I' d like to be able to grab onto portions of the environments and use them to my advantage during a match.

Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus had that feature. I actually had a good time playing that game. Two things needed work though. First, the main bad guy. A guy dressed like a preying mantis?! C' mon! Second, the camera was kind of wonky (if that' s a word). If you got near a wall, it would just jump to the other side of the fighters. If you were blocking (by holding back) all of a sudden you' re holding forward and getting your ass handed to you. Other than those two issues, I rather enjoyed the game. IRON MONK ROCKS!
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Highly Interactive environments need to become standard in all next-generation games! - Jun 08, 2005 21:33

I believe with the incredibly powerful engines under the respective hoods of all three next-gen consoles it' s high time that more games allow for higher levels of interaction with their respective gaming environments.

I' ve been yelling this at my games for years I agree completely!
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Highly Interactive environments need to become standard in all next-generation games! - Jun 09, 2005 06:41

I' ve been yelling this at my games for years...

Amen, sister Sharon, Amen!

I cannot count or remember how many times I have yelled at a game for being less than accurate or at least fair to both the on-screen NPC and the gamer' s character/vehicle/etc.

I threw down a few controllers in my day, too!

But if the game' s good, gamer' s will be back to play them.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Highly Interactive environments need to become standard in all next-generation games! - Jun 09, 2005 10:36
I wish they' d put the PhysX chip in the next gen machines. It would make fully destrctible enviroments so easy. then again in the 360' s case a whole PowerPC core can bedevoted for physics so it really doesn' t have to worry about it. the Cell processor has also proven itself to be pretty crazy when it comes to physics. I hope it does become standard.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll