Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HD vs. SD
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
HD vs. SD - Feb 23, 2006 06:29
you know what this is about. Has hdtv been hyped so much that people start to believe it [aka half life] or is it a genuine 1000% upgarde that will change my life forever. [sd who?]

Now i am not saying that hd isnt a improvemnt, i know sd isnt as sharp, but how far away is it?

Now this is where YOU come into play, i need YOU, to every kindly post a picture of YOUR hdtv set and then an sdtv set, with the same game and console [aka 360] and then we can all ' woo' and possibley ' ahh' and the marked improvement.

Or not, its up to you. Just remember, Kikizo needs YOU!

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 23, 2006 07:27
I don' t have a 360 since there aren' t many worthy games yet, but I can attest that since I purchased an HDTV it is extremely hard to watch programs in SDTV over the air. HDTV over the air can bepretty good unless it' s NBC, then it' s digital artifact city due to their crappy compression. The world won' t end if you don' t buy an HDTV, so if you are on the fence, wait it out a little bit, because once you get one, there is no going back!

By the way, digital pictures of a TV image won' t show too much, but here' s a picture I took anyway of over-the-air free HDTV broadcasting and its analog equivalent:

< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 22 Feb 06 23:30:32 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 23, 2006 18:22
I' ve seen some HD videos displayed on a couple of HDTV sets and the difference is really huge.It' s amazing how lacking in detail SD was and people had no idea.

As for games - I' m not so sure - many games have plastic looks (CoD2, Outfit) that I always hated in PC games.I think I' ll stick to SD for now.DoA4 seems lke it' s " empty" and lacking in details when I see it in HD.

Anyway there are games that look just gorgeous in HD - it' s up to developers.

It' s not revolutionary (and quite overrated) , but it is a great evolution of technology.

Joe how much did your UBER HYPER MEGA FUCKIN OFF DA HOOK TV cost?

I think that CRT HDTV is the best option now - I don' t mind the size (I have a 36" Sony that weights almost 100kg)
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 23, 2006 19:04
After having an HD set go on the blink ( courier kicked it around the van by the sounds of it) and having to go to an equivelent size SD unit I can safely say, never again. It' s subtle differnces like split screen driving games being more playable because the horizon and cars objects etc.. in the distance are clearer, down to the effects in games being crisp and vivid.

If you run media centre on your 360 you get more text on screen than on a normal display and its ledgeable at any distance. Take NFSMW on SD, you cant read the small text on the bottom of the screen, and King Kong had problems because SD couldnt light some of the scenes correctly due to variation.

Also users on Halo 2 in HD get better definition on a 360 in dark dimly lit areas.

CRT Based HD sets are almost impossible to get here compared to LCD panels, this is an interesting contrast with the US.
]GaNgStA[

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 23, 2006 21:19
I' ve heard that games like condemned are really hard to play on SD - other dark games have the same problems.
That Means that HD systems - mainly 360 now is not 100% SD compatible.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 23, 2006 22:00
But the Revolution games will look great on any TV. Wohoo!
]GaNgStA[

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 23, 2006 23:59
actually lower resolutions look terrible on HD TVs - you have to buy an upscanning device (good ones are about 200$) to have your experience lag free (normally when TV upscans the resolution it takes some time and there' s a delay)

It all depends on what TV you have , but it' s not that good of a choice for HD owners.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 24, 2006 00:44
At the time it had been rushed in upon us, but in retrospect everytime I watch older DVD' s (or non superbit ones) and I see artifacts, I realise that the older SD units have effectivly been lying to us!

I mean, I play back a lot of downloaded vids on my 32" SD tv which is my media centre pc in the living room, but playing back on HD is just the same as a decent tft, so it' s pushing the entertainment industry towards better standards generally.

I get fed up of consumers getting ripped off with rushed merchandise - games, movies, music, but with hardware in summary, now is where HD really begins If you buy a set you wont be dissapointed.

Oh and the xbox HD cable' s are better than the Joytech ones.. I know from having to upgrade a core pack the hard way!
Joe Redifer

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 24, 2006 08:10
My TV has no lag and the Revolution should support 480p and (hopefully) true widescreen. My TV cost somewhere in the vacinity of $1900 USD, which is like 26 British pounds.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 24, 2006 08:36
was that a dreamcast i saw in that one pic? woot for underadvertized gameage. Go power stones! yeah anyways. everything i' ve seen in high definition is gorgeous, and i was hoping to pick up a 1040i monitor for my gameage, but i wanted to see what other people thought. suggestions anyone?
Joe Redifer

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 24, 2006 09:55
Yup that was a Dreamcast, and I have it running in 480p. The DC outputs VGA and that is transcoded (not upscaled) to 480p. Looks great!
James_N

• Total Posts : 55
RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 24, 2006 10:46
Hey guys, if you guys want I could post some Xbox/Xbox 360 shots in HD as well as Standard. My HDTV has composite inputs as well but we have a junker tv in our living room I could use. Just let me tidy up a bit
< Message edited by James_N -- 24 Feb 06 2:46:53 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 24, 2006 18:32

My TV cost somewhere in the vacinity of $1900 USD, which is like 26 British pounds.

HEHEHEHE

James - please do :)
James_N

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 24, 2006 23:53
Which game should I use for 360? I have PGR3, COD2, PD0 and NHL2K6.
Joe Redifer

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 25, 2006 02:21
Why not do both Call of Duty 2 and Project Gotham 3? I know of no other games that even exist for the Xbox 360.
Silentbomber

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 25, 2006 02:41
... you didnt read his post?

feel free to choose any game you want James_N
James_N

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 25, 2006 05:28
Cool I' ll get to work on it when I' m free, shouldn' t be too long...
I' ll probably do comparisions for each game then and try to get similar shots of course, they' ll have to be done with a digital camera and at 5 Megapixels if thats cool?
< Message edited by James_N -- 24 Feb 06 21:28:47 >
Silentbomber

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 25, 2006 06:28
yeah, thats great.
Joe Redifer

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 25, 2006 06:49
Yeah But PDO (Panzer Dragoon Orta) is a regular Xbox game and nobody cares about sports games.
Silentbomber

RE: HD vs. SD - Feb 26, 2006 00:38
erm, i think he meant Perfect Dark Zero. Unless your beening funny, i cannot tell in that post joe, you confuse me.

anyway, sports games can be good, look at fight night round 3...

...Still perfer Super Punch Out for the snes eh?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message