Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Good news! You' re not sick!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 25, 2007 17:53

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Doctors backed away on Sunday from a controversial proposal to designate video game addiction as a mental disorder akin to alcoholism, saying psychiatrists should study the issue more.

Addiction experts also strongly opposed the idea at a debate at the American Medical Association' s annual meeting.

They said more study is needed before excessive use of video and online games -- a problem that affects about 10 percent of players -- could be considered a mental illness.

" There is nothing here to suggest that this is a complex physiological disease state akin to alcoholism or other substance abuse disorders, and it doesn' t get to have the word addiction attached to it," said Dr. Stuart Gitlow of the American Society of Addiction Medicine and Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York.

A committee of the influential physicians' group had proposed video game addiction be listed as a mental disorder in the American Diagnostic and Statistic Manual of Mental Disorders, a guide used by the American Psychiatric Association in diagnosing mental illness.

Such a move would ease the path for insurance coverage of video game addiction.

Even before debate on the subject began, the committee that made the proposal backed away from its position, and instead recommended that the American Psychiatric Association consider the change when it revises its next diagnostic manual in 5 years.

The psychiatrist group has said if the science warrants, it could be considered for inclusion in the next diagnostic manual, which will be published in 2012.
While occasional use of video games is harmless and may even help with some disorders like autism, doctors said in extreme cases it can interfere with day-to-day necessities like working, showering or even eating.
" Working with this problem is no different than working with alcoholic patients. The same denial, the same rationalization, the same inability to give it up," Dr. Thomas Allen of the Osler Medical Center in Towson, Maryland.

Dr. Louis Kraus of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and a psychiatrist at Rush University Medical Center, said it is not yet clear whether video games are addictive.

" It' s not necessarily a cause-and-effect type issue. There may be certain kids who have a compulsive component to what they are doing," he said in an interview.

But addictive or not, too much time spent playing video games takes away from other important activities.

" The more time kids spend on video games, the less time they will have socializing, the less time they will have with their families, the less time they will have exercising," Kraus said.

" They can make up academic deficits, but they can' t make up the social ones," he said.

The AMA committee will consider the testimony and make its final recommendation to the AMA' s 555 voting delegates, who will vote on the matter later this week.

The Entertainment Software Association, which represents the $30 billion global video game industry, said more research is needed before video game addiction should be categorized as a mental disorder.

LINK

The question i want answered though is; if it' d had been ruled an illness, what measures would they have put into place to " combat" it?
DontPeeOnBilly

• Total Posts : 216
RE: Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 25, 2007 18:03
Too bad, I was looking forward to game developers and publishers hopping a bus to Mexico and starting a revolution in the third/developing world where gaming controlled and sedated the populace into blind worship of dictators. Much like what happened in the US until this new research was found that saved everybody from a disastrous fate.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 26, 2007 00:08

Such a move would ease the path for insurance coverage of video game addiction.

Detox? Wowwwwww.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 26, 2007 05:36

The question i want answered though is; if it' d had been ruled an illness, what measures would they have put into place to " combat" it?

Uh... let me guess... prescription drugs! And more prescription drugs to combat the side effects of the first group of prescription drugs. [:' (]
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 26, 2007 07:48
Doesnt make much since at all. Its not like someone would go to rehab over video games and its not like someone can break into your house and force you to go.
Torr

• Total Posts : 554
RE: Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 26, 2007 10:52
Now videogame addiction might not be a real addiction but that doesn' t mean that most the people on this forum are sick. Personally I find that being what the mainstreamers find to be sick keeps me more sane than if I tried to fit in.

alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 26, 2007 16:31
I thought it wasn' t so long ago that the South Koreans were opening treatment centres for games addicts.

Wiki has a section on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_addiction

It is just another excuse for some people to jump on the gaming is bad for your health bandwaggon, wait for JT and co to start spouting their own irreverant crap on gaming and the state of society because of it.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 27, 2007 01:44

I thought it wasn' t so long ago that the South Koreans were opening treatment centres for games addicts.

Aren' t MMORPG' s very popular in Soth Korea? If they are, well that explains it.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Good news! You' re not sick! - Jun 27, 2007 03:12
Starcraft. Need I say more?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages