Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 39 of 39
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 16, 2006 02:35

I don' t know much, or care about, power or graphics but I do know one thing. The 360 is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than a powerful PC. And with consoles you don' t have to go through installation and setup things for each machine. Going through the graphic options in PC games drives me crazy!
And a PC has to be upgraded all the time since the developers take the freedom to make games that simply require more power. With consoles the developers are instead forced to come up with smart solutions to make the graphics look better despite lacking power. In the case of the 360 it supposedly doesn' t lack power so it should be able to outperform powerful PCs. I think I agree with Gangsta here, the reason for some 360 games not being as good as PC games is simply due to lazy PC developers who doesn' t take time to come up with smart solutions.

Yep soo true.. i think well have to wait untill the Japense release their games to fully see what the 360 should be capable of.. (as we are already seeing this)..

Anyway, im going back to play my DS... Gameplay comes first for me..
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 16, 2006 02:45

Makes sense considering the PC piracy state is forever getting worse, as we get faster connections, more and more people are simply downloading PC games off torrents and alike..

Agreed whole heartedly.

Don' t get me wrong, i' m not advocating consoles over PC in general, it' s just to factors involved sway me to side with consoles.

Price is a major issue for most people, but even the hassle of having to install the product and tweak everything from sound to the visuals is a pain. And some genres are just better on consoles, like some are better suited to PC' s (though Revolution might just have the answer there).

John Carmack wasn' t happy about having to optimize the PC version of Quake 4 for all the different sets of drivers used in graphics cards. Iit utterly pissed him off, which is why the project he' s currently working on is heading for PS3 and 360 (which is his preference). I believe it' s the next iteration of Wolfenstein.

I will avoid PC development at all costs.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 16, 2006 05:58
xbox 360=500 d0llars
Pc to run equivalant games=1500 dollars

Consoles were never meant to be cutting edge, if thats what you want then go over to the pc side and spend an arm and a leg. Consoles exist to be affordable, simple to use and offer a more diverse selection of games.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 16, 2006 06:02
The price of 360 games certainly puts me off, an extra 20 quid per title. None of the games have been my thing either so far, even GRAW. Looking forward to GoW and Too Human though.

I quite enjoy fiddling with those graphical options and .ini files. I suppose that' s why PC games mean something different to me than console games. I love both, but I' d never get a decent racing simulator on a console, whereas I' d never get a game like fatal frame made for PC.

Apparently GTR2 could be coming to 360 though. It' d be interesting to see what happens there.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 15 Apr 06 22:35:00 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 16, 2006 07:22

Gangsta has a " thing" for developers who make PC games. Somehow he got it into his head that if you make pc games, you have to slack, and only japaneese game makers are perfect, and sometimes i think he' d like us to believe that all japaneese make good games.

not all japanese devs but yeah, Japan is where I would look for perfection.
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 15 Apr 06 23:22:51 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 16, 2006 07:39
My friend at a swedish gaming magazine is gonna get a interview with the team behind wolfenstein,or atleast activions tol him it will happend,and he write at one of swedens biggst gaming site.

He asked me which question i want to use O_o

Sorry for the 7 core thing,i just remember reading it from sony and ken during e3,where they also made a conclusion that with that in mind ps3 gonna be twice as strong,all dev has said that was wrong, and laughable,atleast GABE :P

f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 16, 2006 08:44

Apparently GTR2 could be coming to 360 though. It' d be interesting to see what happens there.

Yeah, great!!,with lack of MOMO racing-wheel support, The 360 pad would do the game a world of good
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 17, 2006 01:29

Iit utterly pissed him off, which is why the project he' s currently working on is heading for PS3 and 360 (which is his preference). I believe it' s the next iteration of Wolfenstein.

Actually the next wolfenstein is Raven' s project, and the next ID game is new IP. ID stated that after they had made Resurrection of Evil!

Im looking forward to seenig what they come up with!
Nitro

RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 17, 2006 01:51

Nerve developed Resurrection of Evil...

So, Splash Damage are doing Quake Wars, Raven ([:' (]) are doing Wolfenstein and id are doing a new IP?!

Interesting!
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 16 Apr 06 17:55:33 >
QuezcatoL

RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 17, 2006 06:58
Raven Software did a great job with quake4,they had to follow the quake2 world and rules so with that in mind " clap clap" :P
Nitro

RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 17, 2006 07:48
Quake 4 felt tacky.

Aside from the nailgun, which both looked and felt great, ...i thought the rest of the weaponry was terrible. I even thought the art direction was better in Doom 3 than it was in Quake 4.

I don' t like PDZ and i don' t like Quake 4 (either version)!

CrimsonBlade

• Total Posts : 30
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 17, 2006 20:59
*giggles like a schoolgirl*
Nitro

RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 18, 2006 00:46
Erm, ...a schoolgirl?
CrimsonBlade

• Total Posts : 30
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 18, 2006 01:02
ya, girls, but ones at school
Vx Chemical

RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 18, 2006 22:27
I really like Raven, i think they have done a great job with most of their games. And Q4 is one of the better shooters in a long time. But maybe its just me!
Nitro

RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 18, 2006 22:40
Raven suck.

I didn' t like Elite Force, i hated Soldier of Fortune 2, ...the Jedi Knight games were okay but not as good as they could have been, ...and i severly dislike Quake 4.

Their games are tacky and linear. The level design always leaves something to be desires and they never get the weapons right.

John Carmack should know better than to entrust such a mediocre studio with id' s biggest IP' s.
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 18 Apr 06 14:40:40 >
Vx Chemical

RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 19, 2006 00:42
I liked the first SoF, Elite Force was an entertaining game, best startrek ever. Jedi Knight was cool, and i liked Quake 4 a lot as well. I guess i like old school shooters, i think Doom 3, was just as good as Halflife 2
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 19, 2006 02:09
Finished the last level of Q4 again last night on my PC. The level design is ultralinear, and the story and objectives are very simple, but I think it' s really the atmosphere created by the sound and the lighting that I like the most.

Textures are crisp, doom engine lighting is great for indoor sections, and after that OpenAL patch the 5.1 audio gives a real sense of position and space. Not to mention that it all runs silky smooth compared to other games, which makes the fast paced action even better. I quite liked that Tech Strauss character as well, hehe.

I dunno why the 360 version had such a bad frame rate though, I mean I know the doom engine dislikes ati hardware but the xenon should have at least enough grunt to compensate.
QuezcatoL

RE: First Quake ,then Oblivion and now GRAW - Apr 19, 2006 02:15
I liked quake4 much more then doom3 atleast.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message