Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing?
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 11, 2006 15:57
Watching the Enchanted Arms trailer makes you wonder if you really are watching a next-gen game. The character models are blocky and ill-defined in close-ups, just about matching up with FFX models (which I actually prefer because the fuzzed up edges at least made those models look smoother). Backgrounds are slightly better, but certain screenshots show flat textures and models, with apparently no bump mapping.

The battle system is grid-based, with you apparently prepping your characters before battle even begins (in the battle demo). I think it' s a step back since one of the pulls of this game is the fantastic and spectacular battle sequences with the bright particle effects. Having a Tactics style grid battle really slows the game down to a crawl =/

I haven' t seen any actual full use of golems yet, but so far, they really seem like Pokemon. The battle sequence I saw showed the use of a very cute Pikachu like creature that once placed on the grid, attacks the pizza monster (it really is a possessed pizza monster, or something with a sliced pizza face) and finishes its move with a headbutt. I don' t really mind if it' s Pokemon-like, but it still seems very strange.

Character designs themselves are a bit iffy. Some look awkward, like the green-clad guy. Others just look a little like FF knock-offs; the yellow-colored gun wielding girl with the cowboy hat reminds me of what a daughter of Selphie and Irvine would turn out to be like. The ' ultimate baddie' , the scantily-clad ice women, looks like Edea or Ultimecia, or potentially a combination of both.

Personally, I did like the effeminate and potentially homosexual sexaphone player. Sure, think I' m sick, but he looks at least unique =/

Anyway, I' ll provide direct links to the trailers and the images later.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 11, 2006 16:09
Its a japanese rpg, what do you expect?
Byakko

RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 11, 2006 16:23
Too much to ask for some phreaking next-gen character models!!?!
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 11, 2006 18:10
You know, the wheel has been invented already.
The xbox division already knows that a few key companies have the sissy-boy flashy magic games in a headlock.
If there is going to be anything that makes the xbox popular in japan, it' s going to be the western style games.
Because even if the japanese spit it out like so much bad nato right now, they will grow on it when this next generation is the same as the last.

And the 360 needs innovation, and fable has innovation written all over it.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 11, 2006 19:00
First of all,it was gonna hit launch title and came early to japan,basically the first games to 360,you cant expect much second i think the graphic looks more then fine to me.

Also it was never intended to come here but ubi soft want to try out and see if they can make japanese products sells in the west.
So they gonna release naruto 2007 and enchjanted arms,ofc im getting both,nbot just because i want them,but because i want to support them so they can continue to give use japanese magic.

Also the game got 32/40 in famitsu,basically 7,8,8 and 9
So its gonna be a love or hate game i guess...seeing how one of the reviewers really loved it,and gaved it a 9 and said it was just awesome,while the guy who gaved it 7 thought it was really just a decent rpg,ofc the other two was in between them and 8/10 is not a bad score...

The game is gonna be 50 hours just for the main quest,and have many more main character then from that pic you seen,there is even a samurai women :)

here is some pic of Enchanted arms...

dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 11, 2006 21:35
Iv' e always said I think enchanted arm looks and I don' t understand what' s not next gen about it...and I doubt it' s the weakest rpg out there and it' s a bit difficult to compare it with the likes of elder of the scrolls, mass effect, huxley and blue dragon I think they all fit in well and add different things, but even if it were the weakest it wouldn' t be anything shameful seeing as how the 360 titles just seem to maintain their standards anyway. I think ' ' two worlds' ' is probably less brillaint than enchanted arms though.
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 11 May 06 13:37:46 >
vdig

• Total Posts : 226
RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 11, 2006 23:51
Yeah, but remember, that game should already be out in Japan, so I would think that the only thing they are working on is localization at this point. It is one of the last of the first gen titles for the 360, not a second gen like most would figure.

Just to be sure I don' t sound like an idiot though, I' m checking GameFAQS to see if it is already out over there.

Um... is the Jap launch Dec 1, 2006, or the 12 of January that already passed? Gee... if it is the former, why the delay?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 12, 2006 03:13
Its been out in japan for months ffs,its coming europe/usa this usmmer,the leaked ubi soft list said july.
Or june.

Anyway its here in europe in 1 month or two,same with usa,and its been out in japan for quite a while now.
Byakko

RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 12, 2006 10:37

If there is going to be anything that makes the xbox popular in japan, it' s going to be the western style games.
Because even if the japanese spit it out like so much bad nato right now, they will grow on it when this next generation is the same as the last.

And the 360 needs innovation, and fable has innovation written all over it.

You are so wrong it hurts...check out the latest top 100 games list contributed by gamers, and the only Western game is GTA at number 74.

Yeah, I can see Western games going a long way =/

And Fable for innovation?! *hurls* That game was crap! I regretted wasting my cash on me before I got Jade Empire =/ And how could Fable 2 stand up to the freedom and innovation that is Oblivion?

Iv' e always said I think enchanted arm looks and I don' t understand what' s not next gen about it

I watched the original trailer from here: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747936/vids_4.aspx

Next-gen only goes in so far as particle effects and overall crispness, otherwise, I can' t see what' s next-gen about it. The character models are jagged, and lack detail and smoothness.

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2634/eM-eNCHANT-arM-Trailer-2/

Somehow, I feel that FFXII has better models and visual appeal. Something about Enchanted Arms' ones make them looksl ike dolls =/

vdig

RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 12, 2006 10:52
Well, maybe it doesn' t look as good as FFXII in your opinion. To me, it should not matter. If graphics were all that mattered in an RPG, the world would have been deprived of the RPG best bang for gamers' dollars Disgaea. The game was far more fun and well beyond long enough that graphics simply were moot points.

Then again, imagining Disgaea with fully realised next-gen graphics DOES make me think twice for the above. Disgaea (and Disgaea 2) is great as it is. Disgaea with REAL graphics beyond their current PS1 stylings... whoa, I' m gonna need a bucket for the drool.
Byakko

RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 12, 2006 10:54
There' s a difference between graphic standards and style. Disgaea has style; I don' t really want to see it realised in fuller graphics, I think it' s just about perfect the way it is
vdig

RE: Enchanted Arms: 360' s weakest RPG standing? - May 12, 2006 11:01
I did not necessarily mean 3D, photorealistic graphics. I meant at least being on par with high res 2D that Arc System Works pumps out for Guilty Gear XX#Reload and similar titles. Having a more detailed 2D sprite set would kick more ass.

I do share the overall sentiment though. Disgaea is amazing the way it is. Let' s face it - Prinny Baal is crazy fun to attempt to beat.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll