Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 07:55
If so, what are the major benefits [if any] ???

I mean, i know how it works but are their any wierd compatability issues or things that don' t quite work properly?!

I' m asking because i' m replacing my VAIO and thinking of getting a WMC laptop. I just wondered if any of you guys were already using the functions already.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 07:58
I used to until I built my new PC with plain pro XP on it. You can stream video that is in .mpg and .wmv format. That is really the only benefit. If you got a laptop you might as well just bring it over and connect it to the TV if you have an HDTV with a VGA or DVI input.
I found a thing online that lets you stream DIVX and XVID formats so you could actually watch movies but I haven' t tried it yet.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 08:13
I' ve got 2000 office, so it' s not much of an issue for me, but as far as I know, the only advantage is streaming videos, which I could play from my PC 2 feet away.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 08:35

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

If so, what are the major benefits [if any] ???

I mean, i know how it works but are their any wierd compatability issues or things that don' t quite work properly?!

I' m asking because i' m replacing my VAIO and thinking of getting a WMC laptop. I just wondered if any of you guys were already using the functions already.

You' ll be restricted to using only a few codecs - mainly Microsoft ones. DivX, Xvid, and most other popular codecs can' t be streamed unless you have a program that converts them on the fly.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 3 Oct 06 0:36:25 >
Nitro

RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 08:50
I figured as much...

Also...

...does anybody know how i can capture 720p 360 game footage?! ...480 i can do but i want 720, and i don' t want to spend tons on professional kit. Any ideas?!
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 08:55
I think they have a HD Dazzle USB thingy you can get to capture it to your PC. Basically you connect your component to that then that thing connects to your computer via USB 2.0.
Not sure how much it costs or even if it exists--lol. Otherwise you can buy some wierd ass pro equipment that costs over $1000.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 09:16
Screw Windows and screw the Xbox 360' s media capabilities. The Xbox 1 does is so much better (when it' s been soft-modded, of course). It can stream video files of almost any format to the TV. It rocks. In fact my Xbox probably wouldn' t have been turned on in over a year if it weren' t the Xbox Media Center.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 3 Oct 06 1:16:59 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 11:13
Yeah Xbox media player ruled, its a shame that they cant make homebrew stuff like that for 360... you can mod it but the only benefit is playing illegal copies, none of the cool stuff like xbox had, movie players, emulators, etc.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 3 Oct 06 3:13:27 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 15:01
Not yet anyway...
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 21:37
im running two media ccentre extender 360' s in the house, one mine, one my mates, if you have any other questions i can test stuff out for you majik.
Nitro

RE: Does anybody use a Windows Media Centre PC with their 360?! - Oct 03, 2006 21:43

ORIGINAL: musashi

im running two media ccentre extender 360' s in the house, one mine, one my mates, if you have any other questions i can test stuff out for you majik.

Actually, perhaps you could point me in the right direction regarding how to capture 720p footage. I can do 480 but nothing higher and i' m not sure whether i can connect my 360 to my graphics card, view the games in a window and capture the footage using something similar to fraps...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll