Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 DirectX 10 only for Vista!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 41
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 05:44

Original from Kikizo article
" DirectX 10 is exclusive to Windows Vista," a Microsoft representative told Next Generation.

Aw, CRAP!

What do you guys make of this? I myself had hoped to stick with XP til the end of time, but now I don' t know. I really hope the rumours about Crysis going 360 and PS3 are true (not that these news has anything to do with Crysis, as they had already stated it would be Vista exclusive ).

This is actully making me think about returning to my happy Mac days and forget all about PC gaming.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 05:48
Step forward not backward!

Vista is the way to the future, embrace it as fast as you can, and it will make you as happy as windows XP (unless its as bad as ME, but i doubt it)
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 05:58
You sure its vista exclusive?

I heard it too,but peter said it would looke incredible with win XP but even more with VISTA,at e3 conference,did he just forgot?
Or does it work for xp also?
silverthornne

• Total Posts : 12
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 06:13
That just means games will be made for DX9 for longer than MS would like it. Anyway, I do plan on getting Vista when I build my next PC, but I also happen to do a lot of IT work for MS platforms (yay certifications :p) and thus my interest in MS OS' es are part of my job...
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 06:14
quez , Crysis will be compatible with direct x9 and directx10, and it will work on windows xp and vista.

now what that statement means is: direct x10 will not work on xp, and therefore if you own xp, even if you " have" a graphic card that support directx10, you cannot display all crysis eye candies ...
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 06:19
I don' t understand why people have problems with ME so much. I never had any problems with it at all, or know anyone who had problems with it.

Why is there a screen shot of Halo 1 in the article?
Dionysius

RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 06:56
Hmm... After further research it seems that Crysis hasn’t actually been announced as Vista exclusive, so I was mistaken. Though I remembered clearly hearing it from somewhere and I had a feeling it was from one of the Gametrailers E3 award videos, so I checked it out and THEY DO say in the best graphics award that Crysis won’t run on any XP. Makes me feel a little less stupid.

Well, knowing that Crysis isn’t Vista exclusive has made me feel better, but I still don’t want Vista. I’m no expert of it and I know less than little, but what I' ve heard and know hasn’t warmed me up for it. I only know what I’ve read, written by reporters whom have tested the OS, and most have said that it’s like a poor copy of the OS X and that they couldn’t see why people should choose Vista over X. But I still hope it will turn out great, and so I might not mind changing my OS and I shall wait till the system is finished, tested and reviewed as well as tested by myself before passing judgement.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 07:02

Well, knowing that Crysis isn’t Vista exclusive has made me feel better, but I still don’t want Vista. I’m no expert of it and I know less than little, but what I' ve heard and know hasn’t warmed me up for it. I only know what I’ve read, written by reporters whom have tested the OS, and most have said that it’s like a poor copy of the OS X and that they couldn’t see why people should choose Vista over X. But I still hope it will turn out great, and so I might not mind changing my OS and I shall wait till the system is finished, tested and reviewed as well as tested by myself before passing judgement.

People tend to not want change! XP was judged as crap when it came out as well!
Dionysius

RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 07:12

People tend to not want change! XP was judged as crap when it came out as well!

I am well aware.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 07:12
Apparently the full version of Vista will cost $450 retail when it' s released!

Although, cut down and OEM versions will cost a lot less.

If you add the $680 needed to buy the new Office suite, that' s over $1000! Which is a new PC! (No wonder there' s so much piracy!)

I think it' s hard to accept that MS has such a stranglehold on the OS market for games. Mac and Linux just aren' t as good for games. I' d love to have a choice in the matter. If I didn' t want my PC for games, I' d probably go with Ubuntu Linux (which is free!) or OSX on a Mac (which is great for photo/movie editing etc)..

But I' ll probably end up getting Vista with or shortly after building my next PC. I just hope Peter Moore doesn' t go too far with his brand making process thing!
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 07:27
This news is like 6 months old...

" Apparently the full version of Vista will cost $450 retail when it' s released!"

and no, the " ultimate" edition will retail for that much, the other versions will be about half that.
< Message edited by Game Junkie -- 31 May 06 23:29:22 >
Abasoufiane

RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 07:39
i don' t care much , i' ll download it anyway...
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 08:31
omgz illegal activities
Abasoufiane

RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 08:37
like it' s something new... just kidding i will buy it ...
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 1 Jun 06 0:42:44 >
choupolo

RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 08:54

" Apparently the full version of Vista will cost $450 retail when it' s released! Although, cut down and OEM versions will cost a lot less."

and no, the " ultimate" edition will retail for that much, the other versions will be about half that.

That' s what I said wasn' t it?
< Message edited by choupolo -- 1 Jun 06 0:55:07 >
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 11:59
You said full version...which sounds like something we all want. However the " Ultimate" version has so much shit in it, only psychotics would want it.

This is how MS describes it:
" Windows Vista Ultimate is the most comprehensive edition of Windows Vista. It is the first operating system that combines all of the advanced infrastructure features of a business-focused operating system, all of the management and efficiency features of a mobility-focused operating system, and all of the digital entertainment features of a consumer-focused operating system. For the person who wants one operating system that is great for working from home, working on the road, and for entertainment, Windows Vista Ultimate is the operating system that lets you have it all."

I guess it is the " full version" in that it has everything. However, this version is only suited for a Microsoft whore that absaloutely must give them more money. No one needs the ultimate version. At most the " Home Premium" or even " basic" is good for me.

Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 20:35
I' d like the one that' s comparable to XP Media Center Edition. Gotta have that 360 linky-link goin' on!
Cetra

• Total Posts : 153
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 20:53
the directx updates are highly overrated
if you are directx 9 compitable, you can emulate directx10 perfectly
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 21:31

the directx updates are highly overrated
if you are directx 9 compitable, you can emulate directx10 perfectly

Soooooooooooooo.....

You' re not saying anything about Sony today?
choupolo

RE: DirectX 10 only for Vista! - Jun 01, 2006 23:32
Fair enough Game Junkie, Ultimate does have a lot of business functionality gamers don' t need. I reckon the Home Premium will be the one most will get with all the Media Centre stuff. I bought XP Home OEM with my last PC for £70, so if Vista HP is anything around that then that' ll be cool.

Still trying to figure out though, what extra stuff will be in Vista. I heard a lot of the new (better) ideas were dropped, like new unix like file structures, new media player features etc. So basically we' ll be getting XP with Dx10 and... translucent window panes...

I' m wondering whether I really need Media Centre functionality to stream stuff to my 360, when I can just plug my PC into my TV. And like Cetra says, we' re really yet to see what Dx10 can do that Dx9 can' t.

A lot of people are saying the same thing, and forcing gamers to buy Vista for Dx10 might leave a bitter taste in the mouths of some. [:' (]
< Message edited by choupolo -- 1 Jun 06 15:34:22 >
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 41

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread