Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 21, 2006 05:59
Look at these screenshots on IGN:
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/imgs_1.aspx
That' s just amazing. It' s very close to photo realistic. Honestly, if I didn' t know those were screenshots I would think they were photos without taking a closer look. What kind of PC specs do you need to play a game like that?
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 21, 2006 06:10

What kind of PC specs do you need to play a game like that?

...i' m guessing...

....but i' d say about three x360' s....
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 21, 2006 06:20
It' s less about the specs than it is about DirectX. You' ll need a badass PC to run it like that, but probably not quite as badass as you would expect.

I seriously hope it comes to 360 though.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 21, 2006 07:05
There isn' t a PC card that supports dx10 fully yet i dont think, so even the best card there is isn' t good enough for Crysis atm! I' m guessing they' ll probably have to either scale it back a little or delay the game till mid 2007 to let people catch up with upgrades and get Vista etc. Sucks really.

With enough optimisation it should run on 360 though. Although that probably wont be until 2007 either... does look great though, especially that head, but that must be a render rather than in-game.. right?

Ooh, just read this at the bottom of the page: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/04/20/crysis_new_screenshots/3.aspx

Apparently all the shots are running on dx9 and existing hardware (x1900xtx' s most likely), and vista won' t be a requirement! But when ppl upgrade next year to dx10 and vista they' ll see even better visuals! Hard to believe I know, heh.

And this CVG interview is interesting if you haven' t read it yet: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/interviews/interviews_story.php?id=137279

..which mentions that Crytek aren' t really thinking about a console version yet. But the demand will surely be there to force their hand!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 21 Apr 06 0:13:50 >
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 21, 2006 20:30
just cast your minds back to the crytek demo for the farcry 1 engine, it actually looked a bit better than the real game when it game out, this does look fantastic, but it will be interesting to see what kind of spec it needs.... any idea of an ETA for the first incarnation?

If Crytek had their way it would stay PC based, but if UBi get their wicked way with it, like the farcry liscence - it will be everywhere!
< Message edited by jtypecav -- 21 Apr 06 12:31:44 >
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 21, 2006 21:11
The cardinal rule to building game engines is: Make an engine for the masses.
That is to say, some of the better engines out there are very scalable.
Even if this right here looks great, crytek also built it on stock hardware, and chances are these screenshots are taken on X__00 series radeons or 7_00 geforce cards.

I wouldnt be surprised if it' s perfectly playable on something as lowly as a 9700.

But how does one define " playable" ?
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 21, 2006 21:31
thats just it, if you see a game looking so lush, most PC gamers hardly want to buy it and see it looking well, anything less - nothing worse than framerate at the cost of decent texturing and draw distance.

As its a new engine I' d imagine its running on some pretty beefy hardware tbh!
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 21, 2006 21:36

But how does one define " playable" ?

A frame rate that is at least over 20. I dont care much for the graphics.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 22, 2006 02:32
Since games are becoming more realistic when it comes to all aspects such as visuals, audio and animation, don' t you sometimes feel it' s kind of sick to kill as many people as you do in some games? Previously it was quite impossible to imagine that you were actually killing someone but it' s different now. Just look at Crysis and you can really imagine that what you' re seeing might actually be real. Don' t you think we might get a little blunted by these next-gen games?
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Crysis Screenshots - Close to photo realistic? - Apr 22, 2006 04:12
...we already are blunted....

..and it will continue with each new generation, but more so....

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll