Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Console V. PC gaming- The Debate
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 19, 2004 19:38
If you had to choose one...

Choose your side and defend them with all yer might no neutral zone in this thread

What Benfits does yer hardware choice have over the other?

What may be its potential downsides?(might want to have less of these for your defence)

How does your choice of hardware affect your life?

Those are just a few of the basics needed in your defence.

I see a lot of good posters here on Kikizo, so I hope to see some good clean arguments!

Get friends, family, nebody into this debate. I hope to see a large variety of responces. This isnt a winner loser deal..hell I don' t have ne real reason to start this. But I' m curious to see the results neways. I' ll post my responce when i can gather enough info and choose a side.

< Message edited by Mass X -- 4/19/2004 7:39:21 PM >
konrad

• Total Posts : 431
RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 19, 2004 20:33
IMO, console gaming is better. Consoles may not have the best, most up to date graphics, but they are pretty darn good. Consoles can be played with friends, you can' t do that on a computer, unless you play online, or LAN cumputers together, which is expensive. Computers you have to keep on updating things, such as graphic cards and memory. Consoles have everything set up so you don' t have to update anything, just get games. Computers may have better controls on FPS' s, but the console rules controller wise. Computers also have smaller screens. In conclusion, consoles have great controllers, can be played with friends, and is simple to set up. PCs have the best graphics and runnig abilities, but can' t be played with friends, and PCs are expensive, complicated to set up.(i think thats everything, i might think of something else later)
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 20, 2004 03:48
Arcades followed by Console gaming is my choice. I' ve always said that during its peak, nothing could stand up to the pure bliss of Arcade gaming. Even console gaming at its peak with " perfect" conversions of arcade games doesn' t have the same appeal.

The downsides of arcade gaming is that you' re basically at the mercy of the arcade operators to get the games you want.

How has Arcade gaming affected my life? Well back when arcades were still thriving in the U.S., many of the best moments of my life were spent in them.

I don' t bother with PC gaming, I' ve tried it a few times in the past and didn' t enjoy it much. The only games I enjoy playing on my PC are Arcade Roms, which technically isn' t PC gaming I suppose.
konrad

• Total Posts : 431
RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 20, 2004 20:00
I' ve never really got into arcade gaming. I' ve been to the one at my mall twice. They cost quite a bit of $ after a while. Its fun yes, but i usually don' t have the time to go to an arcade.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 23, 2004 20:47
I can' t really choose because it depends on what I want to play.
Action, RPG and sports games I think are better on console but strategy and FPS are better on PC (I can' t play FPS on console - need my mouse haha)
So it all depends on what I am playing
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 26, 2004 23:27
As far as I' m concerned, there is no debate: console gaming is far superior.

Over the past seven years, I' ve watched nothing but rehash after rehash show up on PC software shelves. I haven' t seen hardly anything in the way of innovation and creativity since Baldurs Gate, Command and Conquer, and Half-Life. Since then, nothing but clones of those three. This is not to say that these clones aren' t of the highest possible quality, but when your choices are SEVERELY limited to basically only one kind of RPG, FPSs, and RTS...well, then we have problems.

Price-wise, a decent PC gaming setup isn' t as steep as it once was, but a great console experience can be obtained with a fraction of the investment. As it stands, a good video card still costs more than any of the three next-gen consoles available...and that' s only one part of the PC gaming setup that is necessary.

In the graphics area, the gap has been narrowing ever since the Dreamcast, and now, the differences are so minor, they' re hardly noticeable. What this means is that you have games that, in all actuality, look extremely similar across ALL platforms. The only real difference lies in the comfort of an easy chair and a big-screen TV vs. the discomfort of a hard office chair and a smaller screen, and the difference in controls (mouse/keyboard vs. gamepad).

Lastly and most importantly, the diversity on consoles is unparalleled. You will never see games like Devil May Cry, Onimusha 2, Ninja Gaiden, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy (not since FF VIII has there been an FF on the PC), Disgaea, Amplitude, Silpheed, Virtua Fighter, Ratchet and Clank, etc. There are zero platform games on PC, zero fighters, zero JPRGs, zero action games like the ones I listed above (try playing THOSE with a mouse and keyboard), and zero rhythm/dance titles. PC gaming is still stuck on D&D RPGs, FPSs, and RTS. Oh, and MMORPGs, and if these are all you play, than PC is probably the best choice. But if you want to play the LARGEST variety of games, and you want to play the best of the best, 75% of that " best" is on consoles.

In the past five years, according to GameRankings, there have been 32 PC games that have scored over 90%. In that same time frame, there were over 200 console titles that scored over 90%. If that doesn' t say it all, nothing does.
< Message edited by fathoms -- 4/27/2004 2:45:26 AM >
Mass X

RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 27, 2004 02:11
So far i think console has the lead. Fathoms veiw has a whole lotta power behind it. Is there a PC backer out there?!
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 27, 2004 05:40
I like PC games but not strictly PC games.
Like I said, it depends
Games are games regardless of what you play them on. Why can' t we all just get along!?
AsH

• Total Posts : 15
RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 27, 2004 14:40
PC
Mass X

RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - Apr 27, 2004 18:01
There will be no " getting along" in this debate MUAHAHAHAHHAAA.

Ash, do you have nething to back yer side?
MuteCity

• Total Posts : 159
RE: Console V. PC gaming- The Debate - May 01, 2004 17:27
I feel neither is superior. I think both platforms offer their own unique games, I wouldn' t trade one for the other.
I' d have to say one of the reasons consoles have so much more innovation and hits is because of the larger market. That' s where a lot of developers/new developers want to take their games and new ideas, because their is a huge audience sitting right there. Consoles are still also much cheaper than a gaming pc...the xbox is a nice piece of hardware for 150 beans :) One point for consoles- who doesn' t like the idea of cheaper gaming?
Perhaps the pc lacks the diversity of consoles, but it still offers up different playing experiences and I still enjoy them greatly. Why should I have to choose when I don' t have to?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll