Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Charging for maps?
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 44
SpaceJase

• Total Posts : 170
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 14, 2007 10:53
I don' t have any problem with paying for content that is created after the game has been released. You can' t expect people to work for free!

What I do have a problem with is holding content back from release and ' milking' it at a later date. Totally out of order.

500 MS points for 3 Guitar Hero tunes stinks of milking it for me.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 14, 2007 11:18

ORIGINAL: SpaceJase

Agreed.

mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 14, 2007 13:56

I can' t possibly endorse MS' s decision to go with charging for the content. That provides a slippery slope for developers and publishers to abuse their power for economic gain.

Is it really gonna hurt you to spend a few bucks on maps? Do you even have gears, a 360, and live? What if sony did it? would that mean they were abusing their power? No, it means they wont to make a little bit of money, its not like they force you to buy it. Besides its a few bucks, i could understand if they were asking like $15

Imagine purchasing a title, playing through till the last chapter, and then having a message popup stating that $10 was needed to play the final level.

How does that relate to buying multiplayer maps retard?

This is all bad for the game industry and nothing good. The greedy get richer and the fans get screwed. Nobody should support micro transactions. Epic had the intent to build a strong community with the release, and the overall product would be much better had MS allowed it to be free.

Like i said, its a few bucks, if its gonna put you in the poor house then chances are you shouldnt even have an xbox or live for that matter. Moral of todays lesson, the worlds not free.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 14, 2007 18:52
Wasn' t the " Achievements makes prizes." Rumour a couple of months saying that if it came into play then if you made all the achievements in a certain game you could download additional content for free? That surely would be a better way to go, then if you aren' t an achievement whore you have to pay a nominal fee to download the same content, that way you aren' t alienating the true " Hardcore" fans of a specific game?
DontPeeOnBilly

• Total Posts : 216
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 15, 2007 03:05

Is it really gonna hurt you to spend a few bucks on maps? Do you even have gears, a 360, and live? What if sony did it? would that mean they were abusing their power? No, it means they wont to make a little bit of money, its not like they force you to buy it. Besides its a few bucks, i could understand if they were asking like $15

GEOW has already made MS plenty of money and gave their product tons of exposure. Providing free, " content" would not be a burden on either party in the least.

How does that relate to buying multiplayer maps retard?

Because it' s a slippery slope. These micro transactions will lead us into an age of twinking via real world monies. We' re already seeing it happen on the mmorpg level. If this was an isolated incident, there may be no harm, but it' s going to get more and more popular as more people take the bait.

Like i said, its a few bucks, if its gonna put you in the poor house then chances are you shouldnt even have an xbox or live for that matter. Moral of todays lesson, the worlds not free.

Which is why I already paid for a game title. If content is to be charged then it should be substantial and it should not come at the detriment of the original product. Microtransactions are absolutely unacceptable.
DontPeeOnBilly

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 15, 2007 03:13

Well thats about intent. I suppose if Epic chose to charge themselves many would assume the worst and think they ' held back' on maps to be released afterwards.

So you' d rather we didn' t get any DLC altogether to avoid ambiguity?

Even if the above was true, as long as we got a complete game experience from the original game we wouldn' t care.

Which is why I' m not opposed to real expansions. The problem is that microtransactions exist in a world where they could be superficial or important. This gives greed a voice in the gaming world that it' s never seen. It' s unlimited power.

On that topic, would you pay for a patch? The developers had to go through the time to make the necessary changes to the game, why wouldn' t you support the developers for the effort they put to fix their title?

Not every developer has ethics. As long as EA and SOE remain living companies we will see abuse and we will see abuse popularized. How long before EA/SOE turn Ubi/Square/Take Two (may have already happened)/Sega to their tactics?

I agree about the slippery slope, but as long as we ignore EA, we' re ok, heh. I actually see the industry climbing back up though slowly after ' the horse armour fiasco' . DLC from now on has to be substantial and not seen as critical to the original game. There are unwritten rules.

" We" won' t ignore EA. " We" buy their products in record numbers and we' ll buy their uniforms too.
SpaceJase

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 15, 2007 07:02
Excellent points Billy. I share your concerns but you have to hope that the games playing public will be savvy enough to vote with their wallets against this kind of abuse where it becomes apparent.

As for the patch question - the problem I have with patches is that they may lead to lazyness on the part of the developer. The patch is both a blessing and a curse at the same time - great to be able to fix issues that crept under the radar but crap if devs cut down on testing and release shoddy software because they have the ability to patch later.

I can' t ever envisage a situation where any dev would have the nerve to charge for a patch though - would cause a massive outcry and blacken their name forever.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 15, 2007 08:00
I certainly would have problems paying for a patch, I would have thought that publishers would have difficulty justifying it, as they could open themselves up to being sued for selling a product that was not fit for purpose.

As said above paying for a real expansion such as extra missions is fine, but paying for something they should have included in the original game but left out because of time constraints does get my back up.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 15, 2007 09:39
A patch is not development or expansion, it is a bug fix, if when they create a patch they incorporate enhancements then that is upto the dev, however charging the game playing public for a patch would be commercial suicide. If a game has a widely known about bug which seriously affects the gameplay, then there is no way on god' s green earth a dev house would be able to get away with charging, to put it simply it would be illegal,certainly in the UK as it would be against the sale of goods act, which states that a product or service needs to be able to carry out it' s function for which it is paid for, in laymans terms if the game doesn' t run properly then the games dev has to by law,create a patch to make the game work properly which is included in the price, if they charge you for this, then you can take the games houses, devs, even the retailer to court under this act, I am not sure how it works in other countries (I would hazard a guess that US would have something similar as would the rest of Europe.) So Patching a game would not be charged for, no matter what you think the business ethics are of the company. I have not heard of any game where charges have been made for downloading a patch, certainly not in the BF series, the Mohaa series or CoD, NWN is the same.

Patching a product is not neccesarily down to shoddy programming or laziness, most of the time it is a pebkac issue.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 15, 2007 10:15

How long before EA/SOE turn Ubi/Square/Take Two (may have already happened)/Sega to their tactics?

It doesn' t matter if Sega turns out downloadable content. Nobody buys the full titles in the first place.

OOOOOhhhhhh burn on Sega!!!
SpaceJase

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 15, 2007 10:29

It doesn' t matter if Sega turns out downloadable content. Nobody buys the full titles in the first place.

Sega haven' t been Sega for a long time so might as well just change their name anyway.
mastachefbkw

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 15, 2007 13:02

Sega haven' t been Sega for a long time so might as well just change their name anyway.

They should change it to half baked, children only(Im not saying sonic in general is kiddie, im saying that most of the last games that have came out have been extremely kiddie) sonic games.
SpaceJase

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 16, 2007 09:12

They should change it to half baked, children only(Im not saying sonic in general is kiddie, im saying that most of the last games that have came out have been extremely kiddie) sonic games.

I' m presuming that by ' kiddie' you mean stuff that doesn' t invlove an FPS bloodbath and has an appeal to a wider audience than *cough* " hardcore" *splutter* gamers?
< Message edited by spacejase -- 16 Apr 07 1:13:54 >
SpaceJase

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 16, 2007 09:19
Have to agree that the recent Sonic games have been crap though, in fact, haven' t all Sonic games been crap since the first one came out on the Megadrive?
DontPeeOnBilly

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 16, 2007 09:23

Have to agree that the recent Sonic games have been crap though, in fact, haven' t all Sonic games been crap since the first one came out on the Megadrive?

No, Sonic games were of the highest quality in the Genesis days. They became mediocre on the Dreamcast, and evolved into terrible as a third party entity. The latest Wii game was actually okay, though.
SpaceJase

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 16, 2007 09:29

No, Sonic games were of the highest quality in the Genesis days. They became mediocre on the Dreamcast, and evolved into terrible as a third party entity. The latest Wii game was actually okay, though.

That' s not the way I remember them. Every 3D Sonic game has been crap as far as I recall. Sonic Adventure on DC wasn' t mediocre, it was shit.

Haven' t played the most recent ones so will have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
mastachefbkw

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 16, 2007 11:10

I' m presuming that by ' kiddie' you mean stuff that doesn' t invlove an FPS bloodbath and has an appeal to a wider audience than *cough* " hardcore" *splutter* gamers?

No, i could care less about genre, i dont judge by genre, if i did i would say things like tekken, VF, DOA, and every other fighter sucked because i dont like fighters that much. I was refering to the recent sonic games. The last sonic i actually liked was Sonic Adventure. Pretty much every game after seems rather kiddie to me
SpaceJase

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 17, 2007 04:25
Ah, okay, I see what you mean. To me Sonic just doesn' t work in 3D like it does in 2D. I thought SA was garbage - I downloaded the demo of the new one off XBL and was bored almost instantly.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 17, 2007 07:08

Is it really that much? o.0

I probably should take a moment to sum up what I think of kiddie games. Not games tailored for a childs audience. They' re games tailored to a childs audience to prevent the scrutiny they' d get from releasing it to anything but five-year-olds.

Viva Pinata = Awesome

Sonic anything between the DC & the DS = Kiddie
SpaceJase

RE: Charging for maps? - Apr 17, 2007 07:44

Is it really that much? o.0

[link= http://loot-ninja.com/2007/04/11/guitar-hero-ii-track-packs-released/]Apparently so.[/link]
< Message edited by spacejase -- 16 Apr 07 23:45:11 >
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 44

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread