Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Canada has 5,000 new official words...
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
Canada has 5,000 new official words... - Jul 29, 2004 14:49
They have been added to the recently released Second Edition of the Canadian Oxford dictionary. I can' t believe some of the words they' re putting in there. Here’s a random sampling of some of the terms (this is a " teachable moment" ):
======================================================

cube farm: slang: an office where the work space is divided into cubicles.

goal suck: a player who lets teammates bring the puck down the ice then lingers by the net so as to score easily.

puck bunny: a young female hockey fan, especially one motivated more by a desire to meet the players than by an interest in hockey.

beer league: a sports minor league of the lowest rank, a league of recreational hockey, baseball players, etc.

culture jamming: the practice of criticizing and subverting advertising and consumerism in the mass media, by methods such as producing advertisements parodying those of global brands.

studmuffin: a man perceived as sexually attractive, typically one with well-developed muscles.

geek chic: a fashion style incorporating characteristics traditionally associated with computer geeks, e.g. heavy-rimmed glasses.

cougar: slang: an older woman pursuing or dating a younger man.

polyamorist: this is a derivative of polyamory, which is defined as: the custom or practice of engaging in multiple sexual relationships, with the full knowledge and consent of all partners concerned.

barley sandwich: beer

Frankenfood: a genetically modified food.

loungecore: any of a variety of musical styles which combine elements of lounge music and hardcore.

stagette: a pre-nuptial party for the bride and female friends.

shag: a combined stag and wedding shower, used in Thunder Bay.

lesbigay: lesbian, bisexual or gay.

eco-warrior: a person actively involved in preventing damage to the environment.

Japanimation: anime

board shorts: long shorts of a kind originally worn by surfers.

synthespian: a computer-generated character who may appear to interact with human actors in a film, or as part of an animated film using only such characters.

thin client: Computing: a client terminal with minimal processing power and storage capacity, esp. one with no hard disk.

magalogue: a promotional catalogue or sales brochure designed to resemble a high-quality magazine.

eurozone: the economic region formed by those member countries of the European Union that have adopted the euro prosumer.

prosumer: a person who buys electronic goods that are of a standard between those aimed at consumers and professionals. 2. a consumer who purchases component elements of products in order to build or administer his or her own goods and services.

gabba: a harsh, aggressive type of house music originating in Rotterdam, characterized by its extremely fast dance beat.

teachable moment: a situation or event that serendipitously offers an opportunity to educate people about a topic.
Alley_Hater

• Total Posts : 340
RE: Canada has 5,000 new official words... - Jul 29, 2004 23:30
lol... that' s a lot of slang words, i heard news that the US wants bling-bling in dictionaries along with other words.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Canada has 5,000 new official words... - Jul 30, 2004 00:14
Further proof that Canada is truly evil. They will destroy us all with their studmuffins!
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Canada has 5,000 new official words... - Jul 30, 2004 15:26
LOL Joe -- actually it' s all the " barley sandwiches" we consume!
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Canada has 5,000 new official words... - Jul 30, 2004 19:11

lesbigay

That’s a hilarious word. I' m mates with a lass called Nicola who' s a proud lesbian. That is now a new word for her, she' ll love it.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Canada has 5,000 new official words... - Aug 06, 2004 04:54
Some of those i knew had been encorporated (such as cougar) some of them I use on a regular basis. Finally they are acknowledged!!!!!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll