Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 22, 2005 15:03

I know, I know, Sony basically is BlueRay, so why not for the PS3?? Well apparently the thought of losing out in a potential nuclear war over video format between HD-DVD and BlueRay has gotten both Sony and Toshiba together to co-develope something new. Man, I' m gald I' m not somebody who went out and spent a pile on a BlueRay player already. Can we all say Laserdisc?

New info on Blueray/HDDVD and how it affects PS3
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 22, 2005 15:32
I' m so glad I didn' t go out and buy a Blu-Ray player, too! Oh wait. No Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player was ever released. So I couldn' t have even if I wanted to.

I' m glad they will develop a common format (hopefully it' ll spec out better than HD-DVD did). But all this fuss over a supposed gigantic frmat war has me baffled. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD would ONLY appeal to those who had an HDTV. There is no reason for anyone else to care. So there would have been a format war, it would have just been a teeny tiny one that was practically under the radar.

Hopefully the PS3 will just go the regular DVD route like 360. That will keep the prices down. And like I said, most people don' t give two shits about high definition DVD formats, so it wouldn' t be like Blu-Ray would have been a huge selling point anyway.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 22, 2005 15:59
They should just create BetaMax Discs (BMDs) and call it a day!
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 23 Apr 05 0:30:50 >
Owain

• Total Posts : 91
RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 23, 2005 02:18
I don' t think they' ll release BlueRay as their HD-DVD competitor. But Perhaps keep the format exclusive to PS3, it' d be a great way to stop piracy.
mxpx182

RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 23, 2005 14:25

No Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player was ever released.

They were over in the land of the Rising Sun Joe, BluRay at least not sure on HD-DVD, and for a pretty penny. As for the console exclusive thing for bluRay, that' s actually not a bad idea Owain, I' ve always thought companies should do things like that to cut back on piracy. Dreamcast and gamecube did to some extent. I think they should be thinking HD for the next systems simply because more and more people are buying HD every day. The numbers of HD sets sold over superbowl alone last year were astounding.
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 23 Apr 05 22:25:44 >
Joe Redifer

RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 23, 2005 14:27
What disc format is used has nothing to do with whether any of the systems can display HD or not. The Xbox360 is using normal DVDs and they have a 720p minimum for all of their games.
mxpx182

RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 23, 2005 19:05
I agree Joe, I' m not saying you' re wrong, just that current DVD format limits how much info can be put into a game to be HD. It' ll also limit watching HD movies on your system as current DVD' s are not HD. That is of course assuming that the new systems will feature that option. The XBOX 360 likely won' t just cause why?? Everyone probably has a DVD plauer already. But, if the PS3 or REvolution go with whatever format is going to be used for HD movies as well, it could be a big boost just like the PS2 was to DVD.
Joe Redifer

RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 23, 2005 19:27
No it won' t because DVD could be used by anyone with a TV. That is why it was popular.

The DVD format also " limits" what can be used in standard definition format as well with that argument. You can still have HD FMV and the games themselves will be HD as well. Games rarely even use the scond layer of DVDs as it is today. So now that extra layer can be used to store the larger files that will be required to make a game HD. I don' t think DVD is limiting at all in respect to games. Computer games still come on CD and have resolutions HIGHER than HD. So realistically, the DVD format will not be a limiting factor for videogames, whether HD or not.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 24 Apr 05 3:28:51 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 23, 2005 19:53
Nintendo Revolution: " HD Cartridges are the wave of the future! Instant access, no load times."

(But then Revolution games might cost as much as first generation Neo-Geo cartridges did way back when - $318!)
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 24 Apr 05 3:54:49 >
Joe Redifer

RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 23, 2005 20:52
That would be hilarious if the Revolution turned out to be a Neo Geo with GBA connectivity.
mxpx182

RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 23, 2005 23:57

The DVD format also " limits" what can be used in standard definition format as well with that argument

It already does. That' s why the extended edition Lord of the Rings movies had to be split over 2 discs. Even at standard def. they couldn' t fit it on. DVD' s fine for now, but let' s not forget they can' t just build consoles for now. These consoles have to be built for the next 5 years. When PS2 came out, you could hardly rent a DVD at blockbusted let alone go into futureshop and choose from 30 players to buy. But it changed. As for the cartridge idea, how' d you get that info Terry, I thought for sure Nintendo would keep stuff like that under wraps so that the competition wouldn' t copy it?
Joe Redifer

RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 24, 2005 04:54
That is true. The competition always wants to copy what Nintendo is doing. I don' t think Nintendo should ever release anything again, or else someone might copy it. Better safe than sorry.
mxpx182

RE: BlueRay and the PS3 parting ways - Apr 24, 2005 10:55
Well it' s understandable after all. I mean, of the 3 main competitors out there, The big N was the first in the console business. They made Videogames, ans sure enough those no imagination hacks, coniving bastards, and overall idea scamming fools at Sony and Microsoft did the same thing. Geeze, no ideas are safe any more.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll