Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe?
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 06:41
Finally, SMBD came in to the local stores yesterday.

I reserved the PS2 version of this game for my fiancee, since this is more her style of game.

For the most part, the game looks and plays much like the original GC version(s). However, all of the minigames are all available from game startup.

I was just wandering if anyone else picked up the deluxe version...and what are your thoughts on this version (basically, SMB & SMB2)?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 07:10
Haven' t picked it up yet but I' ll be picking up the Xbox version eventually.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 07:38
I kind of got monkeyed out after SMB2. The minigames were never huge for me. I did like th single player a lot, but is it worth picking up the deluxe just for the single player action. Actually, just remembering now, there was that one mini game, where your monkey rolled down a huge ramp, and then ou lanuched him and used a parachute. I really liked that one a lot.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 14:34
I Loved the parachute game!!!!!!! And the bowling, bowling was fun. mini golf was ok.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 15:24
I' ve still not picked this up for Gamecube so will probably get it for X-Box when it finally gets released over here.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 16:42
If you have your choice between the DELUXE or the original Gamecube versions... GET THE GAMECUBE VERSIONS! I picked up the Xbox version and it feels a bit rushed. It looks just like the GC one, but the mostly used elements from SMB2 which was much more silly in it' s presentation of the game. But where the Xbox version fails (and probably the PS2 version as well due to the ultra-twitchy dual shock controller) is in the control. It seems almost impossible to navigate across thin rails on the Xbox version, whereas it was a breeze on the GC. I attribute this to the Xbox having a far inferior controller to the GC. I have yet to try the PS2 version, but I' d like to.

Also, at least on the Xbox version, the music is much quieter than it was on the GC, but the sound effects remain at the same level. it sounds bad. Also if you have your Xbox hooked up for digital audio, play this game in analog instead. The Dolby Digital only sends info to the right and left channels. If you play in analog, it can at least be Pro-Logic' d.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 18 Mar 05 0:43:58 >
Fragus_Maximus

• Total Posts : 156
RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 19:38
The game is WAYYYY too repetitive, and the minigames can only go so far
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 20:01
Since ive only played a little bit of the other monkey balls (and enjoyed them very much) Im definatly gonna get this game. But the budget is tight this month, I' ve already dished out $$ for Fight Night R2 and Winnings Eleven 8, then theres SC:CT,MX vs ATV, Phantom Dust...ahg decisions decisions...
Joe Redifer

RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 20:08

The game is WAYYYY too repetitive

Not quite as repetitive as leveling up in RPG' s, though.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 17, 2005 23:37
There' s absolutely nothing repetitive about RPGs, I know folks who can enter an area, battle monsters, leave the area and reenter to fight more monsters and keep repeating that for hours on end just to get their experience levels high enough. Oh wait, that IS incredibly repetitive ;)
DaRoosh65

RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 18, 2005 05:20

...I' ve already dished out $$ for Fight Night R2 and Winnings Eleven 8...

I wish I knew you were looking to get WE8...I just traded it in! Everything was just fine with the game...it' s just that they are getting too involved for me...I just want a pickup-and-play soccer game without the franchise modes or the dozens of special moves/kicks...

I must be getting too old or something...

I have really not found a soccer game I liked, since Worldwide Soccer on the Saturn.

We could have worked something out...oh well, maybe next time.
Joe Redifer

RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 20, 2005 03:22
Super Monkeyball is an AWESOME game, and Deluxe is pretty good. Here are two videos I made demonstrating the Xbox version of DELUXE:

Fun with Super Monkeyball Deluxe 11.9MB - 1:31 - Quicktime 6
This one shows off me playing quite a few of the new levels and a couple of the old ones as well. It just shows what a great time can be had playing Monkeyball.

Control Comparison 13.7MB - 1:46 - Quicktime 6
This video shows both the Gamecube and Xbox versions of a rather simple level. You can see how easy it is to control the Gamecube version by watching me complete the stage, and then the Xbox shows how it is nearly impossible to finish the same exact stage due to the destroyed control.

Videos captured and edited by me. Both videos are widescreen (16:9) and run at 29.97 frames per second (NTSC spec). QUICKTIME 6 IS REQUIRED!!!

Opinions?
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 20 Mar 05 11:26:27 >
DaRoosh65

RE: Anyone Else Get Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? - Mar 21, 2005 05:18
I played the PS2 version, and the controls are a bit shaky there as well.

You must be moving forward at a decent speed to even begin to control the monkeyball so you can navigate some of those narrow or twisty (or both) rails...I haven' t sworn at a videogame that much since my early days of gaming (Atari 2600 days).

Words of Wisdom: Don' t navigate the more difficult courses going slowly...you' ll fallright off!

Thanks for the vids, Joe...
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 21 Mar 05 13:19:11 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread