Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 08:33
I never had the original XBox, so I get the feeling that I' ve missed out on a few classic titles here and there. I was just wondering what XBox exclusives were worth picking up now that I can play some of the old games on my 360?

The only titles I can think of are Halo 2 and Ninja Gaiden (NG-Black?) I picked up Halo 2 for £12 today, hearing about how it looks better on 360 emulation in 720p and what not, and also to see what all the fuss was about.

Well, tbh it doesnt look that much better but maybe its my monitor. I really like the film-like style and artistic elements, but I get so frustrated playing fps' s without a keyboard and mouse! :P Something about the gameplay makes it quite dull too to be frank, there' s just no variation. Plus the story is too simple, its the hero Master Chief against the aliens and Master Chief wins. Reminds me of films like Independence Day. Master Chief is really Will Smith, even though he sounds like George Clooney! The aliens were more interesting though torturing their ' hero' for failing. Id like to see that alien dude escape and seek retribution along side Master Chief or something (and he probably will..). But sadly I got bored after about 30 mins and turned it off! I enjoyed Halo 1 more on PC, but I think thats just because it was more of an original idea at the time. But not so original as to make 2 sequels, so I probably wont be getting Halo 3 unfortunately. Certainly no PS3 beater imo unless they surprise me!

So...there must be more than two games worth picking up now the hype has faded. NG worth getting? I played Morrowind on PC, and ofc HL2 already. And I' ve already got PGR3. Plus DOA isnt my style. :P I' ve seen lists of games people liked before here, but cant seem to find them. What XBox games would you buy a second time now if you had to (regardless of backwards compatability), and which games couldnt you have lived without playing? Thx ^^;;
< Message edited by choupolo -- 5 Feb 06 0:42:27 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 09:25
Current Compatible Games:

SPlinter Cell Chaos Theory (altho I cant get co-op onlline to work, everythign else is smooth tho)

Ghost Recon 2/GR2 Summit Strike

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

Hitmen Contracts

Max Payne 2

Tony Hawk American Wasteland (dont bother paying the extra $10 for the 360 version)

Games that need to be comapatible:

Mercenaries

Bloodrayne 2

Sim 2 (if yer into that kinda stuff but thats more for Chickapoo88 then me)

Unreleased hopefully compatible games:

Black

Hitman 4

Scarface (maybe)

Flatout 2

ToCA Race Driver 3 (this should friggin be up there with Turismo and Forza, btw is it out yet?)
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 09:44
Hitman Contracts sucks and San Andreas isn' t very popular here (not that it' s a bad game, it' s just uninspired)

Bloodrayne 2 is dreadful and definately needs leaving off the list!

Black is amazing (i have the PS2 demo), and expect a 360 version, along with 360 versions of Scarface, Hitman 4 and ToCA 3. They don' t need to be backwards compatible really (although it would be nice for games like this to be compatible for people who haven' t yet got a 360 and will be buying those games for Xbox)

Games that need to be compatible are:

Dead or Alive Ultimate

Conker: Live & Reloaded

Soul Calibur 2

Beyond Good & Evil

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Jet Set Radio Future

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Oddworld Strangers Wrath

Otogi: Myth of Demons

Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors

Phantom Dust

Shenmue II

Unreal Championship

Unreal Chamionshup 2: The Liandri Conflict

They need to be compatible because i was stupid enough to ditch my Xbox when i got my 360! Idiot i know..

choupolo

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 09:52
Hmm, interesting choices. You see I' ve also played (and enjoyed very much) SC:CT, GTA:SA, Hitman Contracts, Max Payne 2 on PC. Id say Splinter Cell and Max Payne were my two favourites, but I always like Hitman.

Not sure if Ghost Recon 2 is worth getting with GR3 round the corner.

But yea, looking forward to Hitman Blood Money and flatout 2 looks good so far. They' d probably be PC/360 purchases however. The physics in TOCA always feels wierd to me, I dunno what it is about it. TOCA3 is much hyped, and imo the demo is identical to TOCA2! :P (I don' t think it' s out yet..)

Mercenaries was an interesting idea. Bloodrayne=DOA situation. Sims 2, dont think I' m much of a Chickapoo88 either! :P

Now Black I want, but I' m willing to bet it won' t work on 360 until they release a patch. Would be nice if it did though!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 5 Feb 06 3:00:29 >
Nitro

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 10:55
Rumours are they' ll be porting Black to 360 just like Far Cry Instincts and more importantly Burnout Revenge.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is superb, definately worth anyone picking up. Ghost Recon 2 is cheap now so there' s no reason not to have it, ...you can still play it online on 360 too.

The entire backwards compatability list is available here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

I' m guessing you knew that though.

Ninja Gaiden Black is a must but it does have some slight slowdown.

Fable' s not bad but failed to deliver on its promise.

Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel Without a Pulse was hillarious!

Manhunt, SSX3, KOTOR/II, Jade Empire, Darkwatch etc are all compatible too. Suppose it a) depends if you' ve aleady played them, and b) what kind of games you like.

Definately get Ninja Gaiden Black though...
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 11:20
Hmm ya Chronicals Of Riddik definatly altho as with the case of Condemend once you beat it theres nothing more to do.

I enjoy bloodrayne 2 cause you get what you pay for. A budget game full of aimless action and violence and by budget I mean budget($9.99 US maybe less by now).

In the US you dont hear much at all about ToCA, I accidently came across ToCA 2 and since it was only $20 I decided to give it ago. I love the variety mostly, makes it seem like yer getting multiple racing games.

I didnt bother with Instincts but may look into the 360 version (Far Cry: Predator)

All in all tho its hard to suggest many games at this point with all the sequals and new games coming out soon. If you have the money then by all means go out and have a go with the currently compatible top titles, but if you dont then stick low with a few budget games and hold out for just a tad longer. There' s always Xbox Live Arcade.
choupolo

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 11:27
Yep, the girl at the shop showed me that list when I bought Halo2 today. It' s pretty cool with the mini reviews and screenshots etc.

Out of all so far I' ll probably check out NG:Black, although I can get really touchy about slowdown issues! :P and maybe Riddick.

Manhunt was one of my favourite titles, which I played through on PS2. I think it' s safe to say they set the benchmark on graphic game violence! Played Far Cry on PC and Burnout Revenge on PS2 so I don' t think I' ll be getting those ports.

Was also close to buying KOTORII on PC since I liked the original, but I wasnt sure if there was anything new going on in this one..?

TOCA is cool with its variety, I think the DTM races are the most fun, although the F1 type races at the end of TOCA2 were insane! I think GT Legends and GTR have set the standard for race sims though but you cant really play those without a wheel unfortunately.

I really wanted Black on PC being an fps and all, but there was this video interview on 1up with one of the Criterion devs who basically said he hated PC with a passion with all its driver updates, graphics cards and elitism, so I' m guessing there wont be a PC port!

Cheers for the suggestions, feel free to add more if you think of any!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 5 Feb 06 3:53:39 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 11:34
coming from someone who' s never owned an xbox, i' ve gotta say, thre are a precious few games i' d buy for my 360, supposing that is, that they were all compatible. Conker, live and reloaded, just because it was funny, stubbs the zombie: rebel without a pulse, Call of Duty 2, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. i' m with ya on halo, don' t get me wrong, it' s a good game, but the hype is a bit much, " OMG! OMG! OMG! halo 2' s teh bestgameevr! therez no gmae tht even comz close!, it' s betterthan everysinglegamesinceever! sodon' teven trytosaythatsomethingis bettercuz it' s not! &ifyoudontthinkthatthenyur dumbandstupid!!!!!" ya know?
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 05, 2006 22:32

now that I can play some of the old games on my 360?

Can you? - most games from compatibility lists don' t work how they should - wait for some updates - for now X360 is nowwhere near backward compatibility in the sense other systems were in the past.
choupolo

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 01:42
Well, Halo 2 is working ok at least. only the 720p thing is a bit stretched on my screen (if only they would support non-widescreen monitors more with borders and that), so I' m playing in 640x480, which doesnt look that much worse tbh. It crashed once, and for some reason the textures keep loading slightly late and changing lod bias all the time when close up...its odd. Still playable though.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 5 Feb 06 18:06:25 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 01:56
the textures that keep loading (in the cutscenes specialy) are developers fault not your 360 or anything like that, i had the same problem, textures kept poping up, nasty...

as for my advice, there are not many games out there that you should go back and play specialy since you own a pc

bad fur day
prince of persia 2 thrones
forza
jade empire (i didn' t like it but some loved it )
cheaos theory
fable the lost chapter

i don' t know if all those are compatible but you can hope , i think other titles have been mentioned by others... dude just go ahead
Nitro

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 02:36
Conker: Live & Reloaded is NOT compatible yet! It NEDDS to be because the online component was actually superior to Halo' s, everyone should give it a go!

Bad Fur Day was the N64 version.

The graphical issues in games like Halo 2 when you' re playing it on 360 is nothing to do with the dvelopers. The developers are not the people who are making the games backwards compatible, they' re being done by Microsoft themselves. The reason for the graphical problems is due to 360 not being based on the same kind of technology as Xbox, it' s completely different so it has to emulate the games.

PS2 didn' t emulate PS1 games, it didn' t have to because the technology required was already there.

I really want to be able to play Otogi/2 again, it' s just sitting there doing nothing at the moment!
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 02:46
majikdragon, the problem i described was on my xbox not on my xbox 360...
choupolo

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 02:53
Good to know the texture issue is a known thing, so it was like that on XBob1? That sucks. I assumed it was just the 360 emulation handling things slightly differently.

Forza' s a good one, I forgot about that. Jade Empire looks interesting too, was that something like Onimusha, but with wider environments and a female lead character?

It' s interesting though, how few absolute classic titles there are. There' s usually a sequel that does it better round the corner, or another game of the exact same type. I feel there' s a distinct lack of timeless originality in games, you know like how there are several old films that are still must see' s if you havent seen them yet. Not that timeless originality doesnt exist in games, there are tonnes of games that I' d buy again say 20 years on, just nothing on XBox it seems!

What was Otogi about? Not on the compatibility list.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 5 Feb 06 18:58:03 >
Nitro

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 03:32
I don' t remember it being like that on my Xbox, but i stupidly got rid of it the day i got my 360 so i can' t double check.

Jade Empire is an RPG where you fight in realtime, it' s by the KOTOR guys. It' s not a bad game but it' s not got as much depth as you' d maybe expect.

OTOGI and OTOGI 2

Put it this way, if the Otogi games are added to the backwards compatibility list before N3 comes out, you should pick them up. Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors is notably the bestter game.
choupolo

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 04:18
Otogi looks odd...i like it!
Nitro

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 04:35
It' s easily the most underrated game on Xbox, it got graet reviews but didn' t sell as well as it should have.

It has some of the best pyrotechnics you' ll see in a current gen game!
]GaNgStA[

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 06, 2006 06:28

Forza' s a good one, I forgot about that. Jade Empire looks interesting too, was that something like Onimusha, but with wider environments and a female lead character?

Get a PS2 and Gran Turismo 4 if you want the best racing game for now.

What is Jade Empire? oh it' s a GOOD RPG WANNABE - it' s cool at the beginning (8 hours) and after that you begin to notice the schematics of everything and how stupid it is to continue playing :)

Knights of the Old Republic - is a much better RPG (not without flaws ofcourse since it' s from BIOWARE - PC developer)

OTOGI 2 (OTOGI 1 was cool but not quite " it" ) is one of the best Xbox games ever released on that system.Most of those silly Xbox fanboys running around Kikizo forums haven' t even heard of it.

This game is A M A Z I N G
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 5 Feb 06 22:29:37 >
Nitro

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 07, 2006 04:17
He already has a 360 doesn' t he?! He' d be better off getting PGR3 if he doesn' t already have it.

Gran Turismo is boring (in my book)

Otogi 2 definately needs to be compatible!
]GaNgStA[

RE: Any old XBox games worth playing on the 360 now? - Feb 07, 2006 05:08
Your book sux , don' t read it .
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages