Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 ATI " winding down" work on Xbox Next
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
ATI " winding down" work on Xbox Next - Sep 09, 2004 11:21
Thought this one may be of particular interest to current XBOX, and future XBOX Next, owners.

ATI " winding down" work on Xbox Next

ATI CFO Terry Nickerson tells technology conference that his company is finishing up work on the next-gen console' s graphics processor.
With Microsoft staying absolutely mum about next-generation console development, gamers have had to look elsewhere for details about the Xbox Next. Yesterday, they got a tantalizing clue from Terry Nickerson, chief financial officer of ATI.

Speaking to the Smith Barney Citigroup 2004 Technology Conference in New York, Nickerson gave a presentation about ATI' s sources of future revenue. Given that the company is making the graphics processors for both Microsoft and Nintendo' s next-generation machines, he naturally touched on the subject of royalties from the two companies.

“The other one that' s starting to become a factor--when you' re looking at it from an investment point of view--are game consoles," he said. " Both Nintendo and Microsoft will be royalty [sources]." Then Nickerson dropped a tantalizing tidbit about the Xbox Next. " We' re actually winding down development on some of the Microsoft product," he said casually.

If true, Nickerson' s statement could mean that the Xbox Next is closer to release than previously thought. In July, Steve Ballmer said that the device wouldn’t be out " in the next year," meaning at least not until August 2005. However, while rumors persist that it will be unveiled at CES in January, the common consensus is that the machine will most likely go on sale in Q4 2005.

Unfortunately, though, no one in the audience asked Nickerson to elaborate on his statements in the Q&A session following his presentation. Attempts by GameSpot to elicit further comment from both ATI and Microsoft were unfruitful as of press time.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot

whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: ATI " winding down" work on Xbox Next - Sep 09, 2004 11:26
I still hope the next generation comes later rather than sooner. I' ve only just managed to get hold of all three currenent generation consoles (well, since Christmas last year) and it would be a shame to think there was little/no life left in any of them and no further they could all be pushed. I can wait another two to three years for the next lot, quite happily.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll