Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 360 > modern PC' s
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
360 > modern PC' s - Feb 14, 2007 22:10
Or so says Mark Rein.

During the interview, the Epic boss also described a PC version of GoW as being " inevitable" , but said technology is key hurdle to overcome.

" The big challenge is to make a game that was designed solely for the console... to take advantage of every last little corner of that console, to fill every little crack and run as many threads as we could and do as much to exploit the power of that machine, and make it run well on enough PCs to be worth releasing. That' s a challenge.

" UT will help us there, because Unreal Tournament 3 will be kind of our vanguard PC product, and it' s helping us get optimisation on the PC. So it' s just a matter of, now, can we make Gears run on enough PCs that it' s worth selling...or do we have to wait in five years until everyone has a PC that can run it?

" It' s inevitable, but it' s just not there today."

LINK

And so i wonder now whether UE3.0 was created with 360' s architecture in mind. Afterall, Microsoft upped the RAM in a kove that cost them 1 billion dollars because Epic said they needed it.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: 360 > modern PC' s - Feb 14, 2007 22:38
There I do agree with him. You can' t make anything too graphics intensive & appeal to a mass market (Unless your game starts with Cry- and ends with -sis).
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: 360 > modern PC' s - Feb 15, 2007 01:27

or do we have to wait in five years until everyone has a PC that can run it?

That' s overdoing the comparison IMO. The thing is, not everyone will need to have a PC that can run it. A small percentage of PC owners are PC gamers. So even though the amount of people that have fairly capable rigs for gaming is small, the majority of people that game on their PC' s will have one that can run Unreal Engine 3 in 2 years time.

In five years, that game won' t look all that special, and I wouldn' t pay more than 15 to 20 bucks for it. Heck, in 5 years the 360 will be old and replaced I would hope. I feel like he is trying to hype up his game more than be honest with the possibility of a PC port in the not so distant future.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll