Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 WTF???!!! Motion Sensing DUALSHOCK???!!!
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 79
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
WTF???!!! Motion Sensing DUALSHOCK???!!! - May 06, 2006 10:35
....is it me or are there sub-sonic rumblings on the net today, that Sony' s apparently totally redesigned controller could be pretty important?.....

...after hearing a couple of random throwaway comments, i coincidentally find this on a technology site:

And let’s face it: the Dual Shock controller (itself an evolved PS1 joypad) is a design classic, so Sony could do a lot worse than trot out a slightly modified version of that. The eight-way D-pad could be swapped with an analogue stick, and a port for a headset could be added, but apart from that there’s little wrong with the existing design.

The controller will certainly be wireless, and we’ve heard one or two murmurs that suggest some kind of motion sensitivity might find its way in – a nod to Nintendo and its radical, revolutionary Wii controller, perhaps?

We won’t have to wait long to find out. Check back here on Monday evening, when we’ll be revealing the whole shebang.
-Tech Three.

....so what' s the deal here then?....

....if it' s true, how could they come up with what sounds like pretty advanced technology in a few months??!!....

....and will the Kikizo Booze krew (TM) bring one back for us?.....

...no?...

....how about some booth freebies then?...
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 9 May 06 22:57:45 >
prodygee

• Total Posts : 9
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 06, 2006 21:53
Hmm, I don' t think they' ll be using motion sensing. :\
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 07, 2006 08:08
Most devolpers say they are just devolping games with the duel shock 2 in mind. so its unlikely that tilt metion technogly will be used.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 07, 2006 16:42

....if it' s true, how could they come up with what sounds like pretty advanced technology in a few months??!!....

2 months sounds normal for Sony.
13 year olds can only focus on one thing for so long.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 07, 2006 17:16
The technology has existed for some time and Sony might' ve even worked on something similar themselves but maybe not with videogames in mind. So it shouldn' t take too much time if they wanted to have that kind of technology in their controller. They could even buy the technology from another company and focus on how the controller will use it.
But I doubt they will have something like that in their standard controllers. They might release some kind of peripheral with motion sensing if they see Nintendo getting lots of support but I think their focus will be on their Eye-Toy.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 7 May 06 9:16:48 >
He

• Total Posts : 292
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 07, 2006 18:37
It is unlikely, but if this does turn out to be true, it will kinda validate what Nintendo said about other companies copying them.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 07, 2006 18:46
If they do copy it I think i' ll loose even more respect for them because that would show that not only do they lack imagination but they find their competitor' s product' s threatening and with unique features enough to incorprate them into their own system...that would be a bit disguting from my view but for all the sony fans I guess it would be good...they just remind me of the boy that always looked over your sholder to see the answers and hadn' t a clue about anything at all but somehow always passed.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 07, 2006 20:21
they won' t copy it I think , but they might give it some new feature or two to place PS3 above 360 in terms of next gen gameplay that Wii is famous for.

Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 08, 2006 22:17
...hmmmm...

...yeah... ..that makes sense ]GaNgStA[...because you would expect a supposed next gen machine to have some sort of unseen practical feature for it' s controllers, wouldn' t you?....

....not necessary as revolutionary as the wii perhaps.... ...but SOMETHING....

....non?....

....it be really cool (from a non anti-sony perspective) if there was some sort of fabrication to these rumours...
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 09, 2006 17:02
ok so wii know now - and it' s fuckin hillarious - and they don' t have triggers :)
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 9 May 06 9:09:55 >
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 09, 2006 17:27
Well I was hoping they would' nt but again they go even further down in my books and I honestly don' t see much of a reason to get the ps3 now apart from regurgitated titles oh and a triggerless controller.

And how cocky of them to be using nintendo' s ' ' innovative' ' to describe it..so they' ve copied from both camps.
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 9 May 06 9:28:57 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 09, 2006 19:35
never really liked triggers myself, but come on sony, it would be so easy to add triggers to the dualsock2/dualshake controller just remove l/r2 put a trigger in place...

Motion sensing... When i first saw it i thought oh man they are ripping off the dreamcast fishing rod peripherial and i guess it *could* be good for playstation 3 owners that can afford the incredibly steep price... by the way, anyone know a UK price?? £££???
ginjirou

RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 09, 2006 19:56
So the PS3 controller features motion-sensing but is it the same kind of motion-sensing as Nintendo' s controller has where it not only recognises movement but also where in the room the controller is placed?
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 09, 2006 20:50
no it is not like nintendo. Nintendos uses sensors to detect where the controller is. Sony on the other hand, much like segasdreamcast fishing rod peripherial uses a gyroscope kinda thing for 6 way motion.
It is not full fledged like nintendo' sis.... gamespot say its pretty good though. I' ll wait and see i have much doubts though.

And as for mycomment about triggers... well strike that Gamespot confirmed r2 and l2 are triggers and you can clearly see it in their pic below.

I hope the uk Price isn' t £499 and £599... or we are so ripped off..... I' m happy enough to pay 400 for premium machine..
ginjirou

RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 09, 2006 20:58
It' s not like Nintendo' s? Pah! Then it was stupid to give the controller motion-sensing! If it doesn' t recognise where in the room the controller is then it can barely be used as much more than a gimmicky analog stick.
Nintendo' s controller on the other hand can be used in many other ways.
It' s BS that they removed the vibration because of the motion-sensing, I mean, Nintendo has got vibration in their controllers.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 09, 2006 21:09
Mmm

Copying both MS and Nintendo.

Look at the little lights 1 through 4, and the button in the middle with the PS logo on!
He

• Total Posts : 292
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 09, 2006 22:48
I' m actually kind of impressed. They were able to fit all of that into a controller exactly the size of the PS2 controller (it is the size of the PS2 controller right?), and apparently make it lighter, too.

The removal of the rumble feature I won' t care about. I' ve never liked it to begin with. That' s actually one reason I liked the Wavebird so much: no rumble pack.

Sure, it might turn into a kind of gimmicky analog stick for some games, but it actually would allow the player to use 3 analog sticks if it does do that. Besides, it all depends on how well the developers use it.
ginjirou

RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 10, 2006 00:20
Without vibration anything can fit inside a controller. But then it would be madness to remove the vibration functionality so Sony better not. What? What' s that? They removed it? Do I laugh or do I cry?
It will turn into a gimmicky 3rd analog stick because who the hell needs more than two analog sticks. Great developers or not, you can' t do much with it.
I' m so incredibly disappointed with their " new" controller. Shit! Damnit! F*ck! Hell! I liked their concept controller waaay more than the real one.
I' m still buying a PS3 because I love many of the games it' s getting. VF5 and MGS4 alone are worth spending $600 on. But I' ll wait until the price drops and until then I' ll have fun with the 360 and the Wii.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 9 May 06 16:21:45 >
ginjirou

RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 10, 2006 00:53
WTF is Gamespot owned by Sony or something? This is their description of the controller:
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.aspx?sid=6149586

You' ll feel right at home when you pick it up, but this controller has definitely evolved.

It' s a Dual Shock 2.

We also managed to bump into Criterion' s Alex Ward at Sony' s grand unveiling, and he said he was really excited about the controller, saying that he " can really see how it fits in his games." We imagine a Burnout game can' t be too far behind.

Well what did the remaining 100 people you bumped in say about it then? He can' t have been the only one they talked to about the controller?

But what' s probably most important is that the controller feels pretty nice and already seems to work well.

Compared to? It seems to me as they are comparing it to a rock and not the 360 pad.

They also seem to take for granted that the actual reason for removing the vibration was the interferancewith the motion-sensing thingy.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 9 May 06 17:04:05 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Motion Sensing Batarrang? - May 10, 2006 06:50
Kinda like kikizo said in their article, that isn' t the whole reason they took it out.

They didn' t have much time to implement it.
They are having legal trouble for stealing the rumble idea.

If they had more time I bet they could make a controller that had both rumble and the tilt features without having problems.
This is just a gimmiky feature ripped off from Wii.

I can' t wait to be forced to hold my controller perfectly upright so I don' t accidently tilt instead of in a relaxed position.

Still the same crappy basic design for the controller. I don' t have double jointed thumbs.

Sony really cares about making great hardware![:' (]
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 79

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread