Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nintendo Project Cafe
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Nintendo Project Cafe - Apr 16, 2011 08:29
So what do you assholes think about this new Nintendo console which we know next to nothing about so far?  Supposedly it will be in HD.  It is supposed to use Blu-ray as the media storage but I am counting on HD-DVD because it is Nintendo.  The controller is supposed to have a big-ass 6 inch HD screen.  6 inch screen on a controller?  Do you know how huge that is?  6 inches is damn big!  At least that's what I keep telling my girlfriend.  But in all honesty, that would mean the screen wouldn't be too much smaller than an iPad's screen and for a controller, that really is ridiculous.  Why even bother with HD on a 6 inch screen, anyway?  Oh and it is supposed to be a touch screen as well.  One thing is for sure, you can say goodbye to buying extra controllers for your friends.  They can't be cheap.  Let's not forget that this thing is more powerful than your glorious Xbox 360 (which members of this particular forum all cream their jeans over, mainly because it has Halo).  It will also be better than the PS3 because the PS3 has no gamez.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Apr 17, 2011 03:37
Joe Redifer

So what do you assholes think about this new Nintendo console which we know next to nothing about so far?  Supposedly it will be in HD.  It is supposed to use Blu-ray as the media storage but I am counting on HD-DVD because it is Nintendo.  The controller is supposed to have a big-ass 6 inch HD screen.  6 inch screen on a controller?  Do you know how huge that is?  6 inches is damn big!  At least that's what I keep telling my girlfriend.  But in all honesty, that would mean the screen wouldn't be too much smaller than an iPad's screen and for a controller, that really is ridiculous.  Why even bother with HD on a 6 inch screen, anyway?  Oh and it is supposed to be a touch screen as well.  One thing is for sure, you can say goodbye to buying extra controllers for your friends.  They can't be cheap.  Let's not forget that this thing is more powerful than your glorious Xbox 360 (which members of this particular forum all cream their jeans over, mainly because it has Halo).  It will also be better than the PS3 because the PS3 has no gamez.

Yeah it sounds totally ridiculous to me.  An HD screen which means at least 1280x720 resolution.  And 6 inches?  The controllers would cost more than the console. 

Where is the source to this announcement?
Joe Redifer

Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Apr 21, 2011 21:24
I don't have a single source, just been reading it in various places on the magical internet.  Supposedly there will be some kind of announcement at E3, but we'll see.
Joe Redifer

locopuyo

Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Apr 22, 2011 09:16
It looks fairly legit.  I'm thinking the screen on the controller won't be a requirement and they will have controllers without it.  
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - May 13, 2011 23:01
I read somewhere something about being able to steam gameplay video from the console on to the screen. 

The R700 is the code name for AMD's Radeon HD 4870 family of cards.  Basically a videocard that is two generations old, not bad for Nintendo.  Probably 2 to 6 times more performance than what's in the PS3/360 depending on exact specifications.

Xbox 3 and PS4 will blow this out of the water but at least we'll have a Nintendo console worth looking at.
locopuyo

Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - May 14, 2011 00:12
  Yeah as long as it comes out before the next xbox and playstation it won't seem so terribly underpowered.  But even if it does at least it will be more powerful than a low end PC.   
Joe Redifer

Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Jun 09, 2011 10:53
Looks like it might be real.  They are calling it "Wii U" or something retarded.  Hell, I think "Project Cafe" sounds better.  It works like Remote Play on the PS3/PSP... streaming compressed video to the controller.  One controller per system, others must use shitty Wii controllers.  Yay.
locopuyo

Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Jun 10, 2011 04:36
The only saving grace of this system will be it is coming out so far ahead of Sony and Microsoft's next consoles.  
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Jun 16, 2011 20:59
Coming out so far ahead could be a blessing or a curse. They could end up as the next gen 360, or last gens Dreamcast. I honest to god(bob, allah, Cthulu, science, or whatever) hope it flops hard for their continued slaps in the face to core gamers (Sliders not thumbsticks? Buttons not triggers? Showing a controller, some tech demos, and a reel of PS3/360 games). On the plus side the Vita impressed, and Halo 4 may be able to save the franchise from Bungie's incompetence and lack of caring.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Jul 06, 2011 02:16

I don't understand Nintendo's strategy. I'd like to think that they knew what they were doing and that they'd have a strong launch line-up along with a robust online component. But looking at how badly they fumbled the 3DS launch, I can't see it.

Why would they make the controller a glorified tablet? I get that touchscreen controls have become super-mainstream in the past couple of years, but the Wii U controller isn't even multi-touch. I don't get it. The whole idea behind the Wii was that everybody, grandparents included could figure out how to use the controller because it wasn't too far removed from a TV remote. All of the traditional non-gamers that bought the last console aren't likely to find the new controller appealing. They might if there was a large selection of cheap downloadable titles that could be played using the tilt and touchscreen functions alone - like an iPad - but Fils-Aime has already gone on record saying that Nintendo won't be pursuing a download service like the App Store and that all Apple have done is create a mentality that games should be cheap.

Nintendo's E3 showing was amusing in that many of the games announced for Wii U from third-parties will be out on both 360 and PS3 many months in advance of Nintendo's console's launch. So without a completely re-thought online strategy, exclusive top-tier titles from third-parties and a viable digital download service... the console will only have first-party games to distinguish itself from the competition.

Agent Ghost

Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Jul 11, 2011 03:48
I'm starting to like the idea.

I can see the appeal for parents.  Buy a console for the kids where they don't have to be glued to the TV.  The controller is a controller and a video receiver the console is outputting, just like with Onlive except you own the hardware.  Parents hate having games playing on the TV and kids hate having their gametime restricted.  Many young families only have one television, especially younger families.  So for a lot of games the TV isn't necessary.

Also having a controller with sensors and a screen can add some new gameplay elements like VR.  The VR on the DS is finicky and is too unreliable because it relies on being able to read a barcode, which also limits your play space.  However the sensors on the Wii U and controller will work a lot better together, especially interesting if the controllers can detect other controllers in a 3d space. 

It's also perfect for party games.  (I don't care about them either but a lot of people do) Games like Battleship and card games where you need your private hand are now possible with local multiplayer.

The other huge benefit for local multiplayer gameplay is that it's a much better solution than split screen.  The TV can be used as a map or something while each player can have their own screen for whatever they're doing in the game.  Or think of a sport game like American Football, you're playing with a friend on your couch.  On the TV you see a cinematic perspective of the game and each person has their own personal camera angle of the game on their controller.  They could choose plays and assume control of a specific football player.  Not only does your friend not see the play you selected but he also doesn't know which player on the field you selected before the play started. 

Imagine playing a game like GRAW that plays the same as it would on the PS3 or 360 except you now have 16 virtual buttons on the screen each representing a new squad command or things like air strikes.  Just the fact that we have a standard controller with more buttons will add more functionality.

I just hope the resolution of of the controller screen is decent.

<message edited by Agent Ghost on Jul 11, 2011 03:55>
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Jul 11, 2011 18:02
The resolution is 854 x 480. Not terrible for a 7" screen but not exactly brilliant. PS Vita's screen is 960 x 544 and iPhone 4's is 960 x 640, so while the Wii U controllers screen will be usable, it won't have the insane pixel density of other devices.

The other point - local multiplayer - is mute. As it stands the console only supports a single controller. Unless something changes, there won't be any significant local multiplayer at all. Nintendo have stated that it would be too expensive to sell the controllers separately and that should developers wish to include some sort of two-player mode... they would have to utilize the Wii-mote as a second controller.

Agent Ghost

Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Jul 14, 2011 17:03
lol leave it to Nintendo to screw up a good idea.  Can't say I care though as long the PS4 and Xbox3 have decent specs so the gaming industry gets the shot in the arm it needs.

Rumors are that Windows 8 will be able to emulate Xbox 360 games.  If MS extends this service to the next Xbox as well I don't see myself buying another console ever, actually I probably wouldn't buy another console either way.  Buying what basically amounts to a mid range computer that only plays console games is a waste of money when one could have a higher end PC that shits all over them quality/performance wise and supports 90% of the games I want. 

I don't doubt that Nintendo had the plan of simply releasing Wii 2 as a Wii clone with modern hardware.  That might have been better than Wii U (another stupid fucking name) but Sony and MS made that a tougher sell when they offer similar features, presumably with more native support next gen. 

Even if Nintendo doesn't have much to offer us outside of a few exclusives, it's not hard to see there is good reason to distance themselves from the redundancy that MS and Sony are employing.  They just need better ideas.

Hell I would be surprised if the big three all release another console after next gen.  Ten years from now people will be playing games like Crysis on their cellphones.  I think Steam will be a big winner as time progresses.  As we see more and more devices able to play games at a good quality relative to the high end and everything becomes more affordable.  You can run steam on a laptop.  Eventually we'll see Steam on cheaper devices like tablets and eventually cellphones.  Carry your library with you and plug it into a monitor or television to play.

Processors are starting to get so cheap and powerful that gaming capable devices will be everywhere.  We've said this before but the limitation will be the software.  I read a quote from somewhere that explained in 1965 the fastest computer in MIT had was the size of the Empire State building, today similar processing power can be found in a cellphone, in 25 years we'll be able to fit that kind of chip in a blood cell.  I love this shit.

Actually here's my prediction for the Playstation brand in the ten to fifteen year range.  Sony will integrate Playstation into Bravia televisions.  I can see all bravia televisions with a standard Blu-ray player (or perhaps just a HDD) built in along with a standard cpu/gpu/ram setup.  And actually they might as well integrate PS5 into their high end VAIO notebooks too.  This is actually a good cost reduction method and good marketing for their television/laptop lines.  Sell the extra chips at a complete loss and let the television division make it's usual profit.  With VAIO you wouldn't even need to sell the chips at a loss since a laptop is selling the chips anyways, I would just make it so it dual boots into windows and PS OS.   In ten years flat screens won't be as expensive as they are now, and with OLED tech even people who own screens now will want to make a switch.  It's almost the perfect storm for that type of strategy.

MS will likely have consoles and PC tied so closely that their consoles if they exist at all won't matter.  If we're really lucky Nintendo will eventually drop the console business and stick with handhelds or better yet pull a Sega and make third party software.

<message edited by Agent Ghost on Jul 14, 2011 19:33>
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
Re:Nintendo Project Cafe - Jul 19, 2011 09:01
There is local Multiplayer on the Wii U, just not 2 Wii U controllers (ATM). You have to use the Wii Classic Controller or Wii Remote+ Nunchuks to go local Multiplayer. Multiplayer can be exactly the same as it is on other consoles however the Wii U controllers screen will have to be disabled and it becomes a regular controller. However there is more options thanks to the Wii U TabController. Firstly there is 5 player Multiplayer (compared to 4 of current consoles), the controllers screen allows a 5th player, and one player can play a completely different role to the other 4 (obviously like the demo in E3 2011), secondly in 2 player local coop one player can get the TV screen and the other use the Wii U Controllers screen, not the best solution but atleast you cant see what the other is doing(you can play in seperate rooms for more privacy)

Thanks to the ipad tablets are fast becoming popular and putting one in a controller IMO is genius. Firstly gamewise. Obviously its merely DS'ing a console, with the touch screen. Having a touch screen and a seperate screen opens alot of options to a game.  Lets forget the option to play the game entirely on the controller, which IMO is only a minor advantage. The main thing is the interface options offered on using both screens at the same time. In RPGs, inventory screens and maps and menus can be entirely placed on the controllers screen for instant access whilst playing, no more need to press start and pause the game to access these things, they are on the controllers screen, and can be manipulated with the touch or swipe of a finger instantly, much more intuitive then using a joystickor dpad to scroll to desired options.

In FPS the screen can be used as an interactive Map display like the Ghost Recon Online demonstration idea, where the controller displays an interactive map, where waypoints and destinations can be inputed directly on the controllers screen on the fly, allowing fast access to tactical information. Tell your squad mates where you want them to go, with your finger point on the map where you want your squad to go and they instantly get a notification on their controller screen where to go. No need to press start, wade through menus like in current games, the data is there immediately when you need it.

RTS games are going to play much better thanks to the touch screen interface. In current consoles you had to use the analogue stick to move your units which, if you've ever played an RTS on a PC is cumbersome and inefficient, but with the Wii U controllers screen you can with the pointing of your finger/stylus move your units exactly where you want them to go quickly and easily.

Thats just a few examples how games will be different on the Wii U

Basically the Wii U Controller turns your TV screen into a giant Tablet, and instead of playing the half assed games from the apps stores, you can play fully feature games, with all the control options at your finger tips. You can play them on a full 1080p screen or on the controllers screen, choice is yours. However it isnt portable so there is a compromise.

I agree the choice of analogue sticks is poor, but atleast the addition of dual analogue means many games that couldnt have made it on the original Wii due to its lack of dual analogue out of the box can now be ported to the Wii U. The online needs to be several steps up from the original Wii but the rumour is that its something like the ps3's online and free.

Considering the financial situation of both gaming divisions of sony and microsoft, their recent launch of competing Motion controllers, and the comments like '10 year lifecycle' from sony and 'Kinect is like a launching a new console' makes me believe there will be no competition for the next Wii U for atleast the next 3 years.

The Wii survived with little to no third party support and went on to significantly outsell ps3 and 360 which had full third party support, so Nintendo can survive (and profit) regardless, however if the third party support as shown in E3 2011 is any indication, third party support is significantly better. Sure most are ports, but its better ports then nothing (eventually the unique and exclusive games), second they will look better then the ps3 or 360, third they will have a different gaming experience thanks to the Wii U COntroller (if properly & imaginatively used). Nintendo now have the graphics superiority, they have the brand recognition, a controller that seperates it from the rest and a massive headstart this generation (ie no known competition), and more importantly vastly improved third party support. Thats a much better situation then the Wii ever had and it was the No.1 selling console and sole the most software of any console. So if they were anyone thinking this will fail, remember all those years back when you thought the original Wii would fail, and how wrong you were then.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll