Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Resident Evil 5 Demo
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 41
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 26, 2009 13:07
up on the 360, psn soon. Who wants to play? I just finished playing and its good, nice online co-op too.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 26, 2009 13:31
Downloading now, not that I expect myself to give a shit.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
immortaldanmx

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 26, 2009 15:19
ginjirou

Is it any different to the japanese demo discussed earlier?
Here's an old comparison between the 360 and PS3 demos. 

Ewww, the PS3 version looks like ass, does anyone even try on it anymore?
Pic of 360 version, mouse over for PS3 comparison.

Edit: Just finished the demo and damn, it controls like ass. Aiming is slow, movement is slow, and everything requires 2 buttons. It feels similar to Dead Space, only slower.
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Jan 26, 2009 17:45>
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 26, 2009 21:08
Apart from the the hue, I dont see much difference Dan.

Downloading...
immortaldanmx

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 26, 2009 21:56
choupolo

Apart from the the hue, I dont see much difference Dan.

Downloading...

It was sarcasm based on the fact that someone made a huge article for something that didnt exist. Other than the smoke comparisons I didnt see a difference, except the PS3 version seemed like someone put a white filter over everything. Which seems to be the norm for multiplatform games. Id love for a dev to explain why this always seems to happen.
<message edited by immortaldanmx on Jan 27, 2009 03:20>
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 27, 2009 07:59
Two things.  ATI had better color management and IQ than the older Nvidia cards.  Anyone with a pre-8800 series videocard from Nvidia would see a similar problem.  It's very minor and most wouldn't notice it.

The settings in the PS3: 

RGB
limited->Full

And turn on the "super white" settings on your TV if it supports it. 

I'm not sure if the second part is neccesary or not.

It's not the colours that the game is outputting that is different.  It's how the hardware processes and displays the colour.
immortaldanmx

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 27, 2009 16:11
Agent Ghost

Two things.  ATI had better color management and IQ than the older Nvidia cards.  Anyone with a pre-8800 series videocard from Nvidia would see a similar problem.  It's very minor and most wouldn't notice it.

The settings in the PS3: 

RGB
limited->Full

And turn on the "super white" settings on your TV if it supports it. 

I'm not sure if the second part is neccesary or not.

It's not the colours that the game is outputting that is different.  It's how the hardware processes and displays the colour.

Thanks
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 27, 2009 23:45

Heh... this has been sitting in my Google Docs for months. It's not a full review, at least not one I consider up to my normal standards, but at any rate, it's my first impressions of RE5.

RE5 Demo [JP Region]
Xbox 360
2+ Hours Playtime

Back in the summer of 2007, we were given a sneak preview at the next Resident Evil game, still in the earliest of alpha stages. The clip, first screened at E3 07 was a tantalizing morsel that would not only charge a rabid fanbase, but would set the bar for the scrutinizing media eye following the series, promising an as-of-yet-unknown African locale, the return of longtime series protagonist Chris Redfield, and newer, stronger, faster zombies.

Up until last generation, I personally had never been a big fan of the games. My aversion to fixed cameras, and my relative disinterest in the horror genre as an entirety had steered me away from the series; that is, up until I got a chance to play RE4 on the Cube. I, like the majority of those around me, found myself totally engaged in a fantastically crafted game, one which not only held it's weight against it's action horror counterparts, but provided stiff competition against some of the best-developed household names in the entire industry.

With that being said, I believe that Resident Evil 5 is very much the result of RE4's "rebirth" of the series, and that many of the decisions made were made solely based on the success of it's predecessor. It isn't in and of itself a bad thing necessarily, but I can tell you this much right now, if you were betting on a radical departure from four, it's probably best you pull off those wagers on the races, and let that fresh-out-of-university financial adviser make all of those difficult stock decisions for you.

In many ways, the game simply feels like a continuation of four, save the story and setting. The same basic style, same basic control scheme, and the classic surrounded-on-all-sides mentality do much to liken it to it's predecessor, despite having little or nothing to do with the storyline or locale of it's predecessor.

The game is pretty. Damn pretty. Chris Redfield, the protagonist and consequent focal point of the game looks stellar. The game is well modeled, and crisply textured, as we all expected. Sunlight plays a much larger role in the game than previous installments, giving the game something of a desaturated palette . Sunlight plays off of you and your enemies, taking into account the time of day, adding a new level of subtlety to the look of the game. Your eyes adjust realistically to indoor and outdoor environments, bloom is well-implemented, and shadows are thoroughly convincing. In this manner Resident Evil 5 has lived up to, and exceeded our expectations, and every video we've seen pre-gameplay.

The gameplay in it's basic sense still carries with it the excitement and fear that has made the series so famous. I won't touch too heavily on it, as it's something I can't do much justice to in writing. Boss fights will clearly be the pinnacle of RE5's achievement. Now, go fight what amounts to the new chainsaw sack-boy. You won't be disappointed.

Not by that anyway... One major disappointment I did have (among a handful) is the enemy and friendly AI, though I've come to the conclusion that in co-op style games, the latter is to be fully expected. The terrifying hordes of zombies shown in the earlier trailers must've missed their cues when push actually came to shove, as these creatures stop their savage dash for your flesh about three meters from you, only to crawl in at a snail's pace, weapons raised, returning once more to the hackneyed shamble-and-hack methodology found in days of yore. It's frustrating, because after a year or more of concept art, videos and insider impressions attempting to explain to us the superhuman agility and awareness of your undead foes, we find ourselves in a situation where the hype has far-and-above outstripped reality. Simple fact is, there ain't much to see here folks. The AI does the job, but don't look for much more than functionality, maybe not even that when it comes to friendlies.

There's mention of sloppy control-work, and while it's not perfect, I suggest playing around with the mapping settings. I found that I had a much easier time when I set the defaults to something more akin to the original Gamecube experience. Continuing on this for a moment, because the precise controls afford the game a slower and more calculated pace than competing horror titles, it's often frustrating to be surrounded by enemies in close proximity. Your knife is the weapon of ultimate last resort, as it takes a half dozen strikes in some cases to fell even the most fledgling of opponents. This wouldn't be so bad, were you not so restricted in ammunition, and weapons choice. The pistol doesn't handle well in as it should, especially in confined areas, and should be your weapon of last resort in engagements of this nature, and yet, you're still stuck aiming for arbitrarily effective headshots with the thing. In due fairness though, my gripes about ammunition and weapon proliferation may be without point in the retail version, as I almost consistently had a full inventory in Resident Evil 4, and I can imagine my inventory in the full title filling up quite quickly with the smattering of items and weapons found throughout the game.

I've said it before. The difference between a game that impresses, and a game that stuns is in the details. Resident Evil 5 is pretty, it sounds good, it's functionally controlled, and if nothing else, it doesn't stray too far from it's successful predecessor. However, it's just lacking that je-ne-sais-quois that four brought us. From one perspective, playing it safe may have been a smart move for Capcom. "Stick to your guns" and "go with what you know" have been the tried-and-true methodologies behind successful sequels in years of late, but I have to wonder how much more entertaining the game could have been had they branched out a bit, and explored new territory. Perhaps I was a bit too hard on the game on my runthroughs, but I was expecting nothing short of gold, and was disappointed that our high expectations weren't met the way I'd hoped.

Best case scenario, I'm overcritical to a fault (something I'm not used to being when writing impressions) and you'll be pleasantly surprised that you really do enjoy the game as much as you felt you would. It's still absolutely worth renting, and if you're into horror, or have disposable income, a definite purchase.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 28, 2009 03:46
I hear you LOVE those Capcom money hats, Eddie. ;)
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 28, 2009 10:44
RE4 is maybe one of the top 5 games iv ever played, so RE5 is a definete purchases, but i felt like i was playing an old game while briefly trying out the demo
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 28, 2009 22:34

When Capcom starts sending me pre-release code, then we'll judge journalistic integrity. For now, I'm just an interested observer.

It really is a shame though. I've always wanted to write for a gaming publication, but there's next to no point in doing it freelance, as everybody who matters already has the game a fortnight or two before you do.

Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 28, 2009 23:26
Eddie_the_Hated

When Capcom starts sending me pre-release code, then we'll judge journalistic integrity. For now, I'm just an interested observer.

It really is a shame though. I've always wanted to write for a gaming publication, but there's next to no point in doing it freelance, as everybody who matters already has the game a fortnight or two before you do.

This has nothing to do with journalistic integrity and everything to do with your love of money hats. So, just admit it Edward, you love money hats!

As for other places getting the game before you do, who cares? Just as long as you get to experience the game too.

immortaldanmx

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 28, 2009 23:35
Terry Bogard

Eddie_the_Hated

This has nothing to do with journalistic integrity and everything to do with your love of money hats. So, just admit it Edward, you love money hats!

As for other places getting the game before you do, who cares? Just as long as you get to experience the game too.

Yeah, take it from someone who works at kikizo. They know all about not getting games first
Zarathustra

• Total Posts : 140
Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 29, 2009 06:41
I'm not going to bother with the demo of the game. From what I have heard, it isn't anything different from the other Resident Evil Games. One could compare the Resident Evil Franchise to that of the Rocky Film Series.
<message edited by Zarathustra on Jan 29, 2009 06:47>
Zarathustra

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 29, 2009 06:43
Get the pun? After the first one the rest start to get more uninteresting until they're eventually as popular as that of the current status of the VHS.
<message edited by Zarathustra on Jan 29, 2009 06:46>
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 29, 2009 20:52

Yeah, take it from someone who works at kikizo. They know all about not getting games first

...Well, I do love hats, and I have somewhat of a fixation with material wealth...

Get the pun? After the first one the rest start to get more uninteresting until they're eventually as popular as that of the current status of the VHS.

I don't get it.

From what I have heard, it isn't anything different from the other Resident Evil Games.

Have you played Resident Evil 4?
Zarathustra

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 29, 2009 21:12
Eddie_the_Hated

...Well, I do love hats, and I have somewhat of a fixation with material wealth...

I don't get it.

From what I have heard, it isn't anything different from the other Resident Evil Games.

Have you played Resident Evil 4?

I can sadly say that I have played all of the main series except for Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Resident Evil Code:Veronica, and Veronica X were my favorites. I've had the privilege of playing all of the survivor series, and all of the Outbreak series.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 29, 2009 21:16
Right...

...You don't like Resident Evil 4?
Zarathustra

Re:Resident Evil 5 Demo - Jan 29, 2009 21:26
I just could not get into it- as much as I plundered. The aiming system was what put the nail in the coffin for me.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 41

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message