Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 24, 2006 18:26
This may sound strange as I' m a Nintendo fan and has chosen the Gamecube as my favourite console the past generation but I' ve never really played Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem.
I' ve seen trailers, screenshots, reviews and demos in stores.
The reviews said it was great. IGN gave it 9.6 and the reader average is 9.0, which is very good. But when I looked at the screenshots or trailers it looked really boring. And today it looks dated.
Now the Gamecube is as good as dead but I feel I might have missed out on something good here.
So, I was hoping any of you who have played this game could tell me if it' s worth buying today, several years after it was released.
Is it worth buying today or will the game be dated compared to newer games?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 24 Jun 06 10:30:34 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 24, 2006 20:08
How about buying Baten Kaitos instead?
Because Baten Kaitos 2 is under development,and yes it' s for the Gamecube also.
ginjirou

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 24, 2006 23:47
I will... maybe. It' s just that I HATE card-based battles.
Anyway, have you played Eternal Darkness or not?
Have anyone here played it? HELP ME!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 24, 2006 23:50
Personally i wasn' t THAT impressed. It' s a good game, that' s true, but it just wasn' t MY kind of game.

Gangsta loves it though, but he hasn' t been here in a while.
ginjirou

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 24, 2006 23:52
Hmm ok. Whatabout Baten Kaitos. Could you stand the card-based battles? Or maybe you' re are card-guy?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 00:14
I' m not big on card battling games whatsoever, but Baten Kaitos kicked ass. It has an insane amount of style.

I would probably wait for the sequel though as that looks amazing!
ginjirou

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 00:17
Hmm, very interesting. It seems Baten Kaitos will be the next purchase for my GCN. And possibly my last.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 00:31
I completed the game and I thought it was brilliant. It has an excellant plot (a bit confusing at times). What really appealed to me was the fact that you play as different characters in each chapter of the story, I think you play around 11 different characters in total. Each character has its strenghts and weaknesses such as better health and so on and each character can get diffent weapons as well like different guns, swords etc. It also has an excellant magic system, as the game goes on you get more powerful spells such as being able to summon monsters and enchant your weapons to make them more powerful. Another unique feature of the game is the sanity effects. The more demons you meet in the game the more your sanity metre goes down. When your sanity metre gets really low your character stars to hallucinate. There are a huge number of different hallucinations like if you go to save your game a message comes saying that all files on memory card are being deleted! It caught me out when it first happened to me! Its a brilliant feature of the game.

It does look a bit dated in terms of graphics and the fighting system is a bit poor but overall it is an excellant game.
ginjirou

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 00:36
Aw crap, now that sounds better than Baten Kaitos. I guess I' ll just have to buy both of them. But will I have the time to play two OLD games when both of them are lengthy and I have my PSP? And soon I will have the Wii muahahahha!

if you go to save your game a message comes saying that all files on memory card are being deleted!

That' s what' s commonly known as a SPOILER!!!!!!!!!
GOD DAMMIT! YOU' RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY STUFF LIKE THAT!!!
Thanks for the other info though .
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 24 Jun 06 16:37:16 >
Duffman

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 01:21
Sh*t sorry about that anyway there are a huge amount of different sanity effects.

Since were on the topic if Gamecube games, there is a mate of mine (you know who you are!) who calls the Metroid Prime games ' bog standard shoters' which are very boring. I love the Prime games. Do you find them boring ' bog standard shoters' ? Well I certainly do not, I think there are brilliant but what do ye think?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 01:47

I completed the game and I thought it was brilliant. It has an excellant plot (a bit confusing at times). What really appealed to me was the fact that you play as different characters in each chapter of the story, I think you play around 11 different characters in total. Each character has its strenghts and weaknesses such as better health and so on and each character can get diffent weapons as well like different guns, swords etc. It also has an excellant magic system, as the game goes on you get more powerful spells such as being able to summon monsters and enchant your weapons to make them more powerful. Another unique feature of the game is the sanity effects. The more demons you meet in the game the more your sanity metre goes down. When your sanity metre gets really low your character stars to hallucinate. There are a huge number of different hallucinations like if you go to save your game a message comes saying that all files on memory card are being deleted! It caught me out when it first happened to me! Its a brilliant feature of the game.

I Never knew you worked for Crystal dynamics.
ginjirou

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 01:49
Has he really played the games?
The Metroid Prime games are without a doubt the best first-person games I' ve ever played.
Halo, Half-life, Oblivion, nothing comes close.

The art direction, based on Andrew Jones' amazing concept art, is one if the best the industry has ever seen with varying and detailed environments brought to life with incredible graphics and a smooth framerate. Great presentation, menu' s, huds and special effects makes the Metroid Prime games the most visually impressive games the past generation.
The audio is amazing with old school Metroid style music made better that suits every situation perfectly. Everything from the adrenaline kicking music in the boss battles to the ambient tunes in the calm and beautiful areas.
The story doesn' t try to be complex but it isn' t too simple either. It' s just what you want from a game like this. It' s still very original and to put a female as the main character is just great!
But in the end, it' s gameplay that matters and this is were Metroid Prime is shockingly good. No one would' ve thought that the transition from sidescroller to first-person view would work but it turned out to be the best First person game ever. The control style is different from other shooters by not allowing you to aim and move independently with the analog sticks but the new control style works perfect, and in most situations, better than regular console shooters. It' s similar to the lock-on system used in the Legend of Zelda games.
Combined with the wonderful GCN controller you never even think of the controls. You just play it, just how it should be.
The upgrades are really fun to get and even though it requires some backtracking you never get tired of it. Upgrades help keep the game addictive. The Metroid Prime games are really hard to stop playing once you get into them.
The amazing boss battles are the best boss battles I' ve ever seen with beautiful design from Mr. Jones and the way you play against them is great.
Brilliant enemy characters makes sure you' ll stay on your toes between the bosses and the scan feature makes sure you know everything about them. This feature also makes the world much more alive as everything in it has some explanation.
Metroid Prime has a really great weapon system and the way you upgrade and use your weapons makes gameplay varying and deep.
The different suits ads even more.
Alien civilisations truly come alive with huge well designed worlds and lots of scannable objects which really gives you a sense of what civilisation is.
Lengthy gameplay makes the games worth every $ you bought it for and the deep approach gives all the extra touches a game needs to be a truly AAA title.
So yeah I think they' re brilliant.
Andrew Jones and Retro Studios are true masters. And when they work with the masters of gaming, Nintendo, and one of their finest franchises, then the result is guarantied to be groundbreaking.
I can' t really explain how much I' m looking forward to the new Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for the Wii but it' ll be the first game I' m playing on my Wii.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 24 Jun 06 17:54:23 >
Duffman

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 01:51
What makes you think I work for Crystal dynamics??
Duffman

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 02:53

Has he really played the games?
The Metroid Prime games are without a doubt the best first-person games I' ve ever played.
Halo, Half-life, Oblivion, nothing comes close.

The art direction, based on Andrew Jones' amazing concept art, is one if the best the industry has ever seen with varying and detailed environments brought to life with incredible graphics and a smooth framerate. Great presentation, menu' s, huds and special effects makes the Metroid Prime games the most visually impressive games the past generation.
The audio is amazing with old school Metroid style music made better that suits every situation perfectly. Everything from the adrenaline kicking music in the boss battles to the ambient tunes in the calm and beautiful areas.
The story doesn' t try to be complex but it isn' t too simple either. It' s just what you want from a game like this. It' s still very original and to put a female as the main character is just great!
But in the end, it' s gameplay that matters and this is were Metroid Prime is shockingly good. No one would' ve thought that the transition from sidescroller to first-person view would work but it turned out to be the best First person game ever. The control style is different from other shooters by not allowing you to aim and move independently with the analog sticks but the new control style works perfect, and in most situations, better than regular console shooters. It' s similar to the lock-on system used in the Legend of Zelda games.
Combined with the wonderful GCN controller you never even think of the controls. You just play it, just how it should be.
The upgrades are really fun to get and even though it requires some backtracking you never get tired of it. Upgrades help keep the game addictive. The Metroid Prime games are really hard to stop playing once you get into them.
The amazing boss battles are the best boss battles I' ve ever seen with beautiful design from Mr. Jones and the way you play against them is great.
Brilliant enemy characters makes sure you' ll stay on your toes between the bosses and the scan feature makes sure you know everything about them. This feature also makes the world much more alive as everything in it has some explanation.
Metroid Prime has a really great weapon system and the way you upgrade and use your weapons makes gameplay varying and deep.
The different suits ads even more.
Alien civilisations truly come alive with huge well designed worlds and lots of scannable objects which really gives you a sense of what civilisation is.
Lengthy gameplay makes the games worth every $ you bought it for and the deep approach gives all the extra touches a game needs to be a truly AAA title.
So yeah I think they' re brilliant.
Andrew Jones and Retro Studios are true masters. And when they work with the masters of gaming, Nintendo, and one of their finest franchises, then the result is guarantied to be groundbreaking.
I can' t really explain how much I' m looking forward to the new Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for the Wii but it' ll be the first game I' m playing on my Wii.

Wow. I couldn' t have put it better myself. What an excellent description of an excellent game. Yea I can' t wait for Prime 3 Corruption. What a launch game for the Wii!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 05:19

Gangsta loves it though, but he hasn' t been here in a while.

Yes I do :)

Ginjirou - at least check it (Eternal D)- it' s one of the best GCN games - most reviewers will tell you that ,and what' s more , it' s so unique it might never happen again.

ginjirou

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 05:27
Cool, I keep getting this feeling I have to check it out. I bet I can find it cheap now too. Anyway, Gansta, where have you been?
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 05:45
I guess It' s too cool outside to stay at home :)

and besides, most of the threads are kind of boring - all about PS3 Vs 360 - it' s cool from time to time but I' ve been way to much into those discussions before and I think everything there was to say have been said already - it' s " wait and see" now.

There are no great announcements lately so there' s not much to discuss...

Thankfully us Europeans can enjoy WorldCup (Polish team sucks so bad that it' s actually amazing)

:)
He

• Total Posts : 292
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Jun 25, 2006 12:42
I would definitely recommend Eternal Darkness. It is one of my favorite games for the Gamecube. I love the way they do everything in this game, and it is very different from almost any other game you' ll play.

My favorite part is the magic. That might sound wierd, but the magic system allows you to find the magic components and then " discover" the spells on your own, even before the game gave you them (or their " recipes," rather). I loved that.

That was just my favorite part, though. Like Duffman said, the story, atmosphere, etc. I' ll let you see the best parts for yourself, though.

Also, I would play through it more than once. There are parts of the game that are better during other play-throughs, but I won' t ruin it.

You know what? I need to get an Eternal Darkness avatar. That would be awesome.

EDIT: I just found this on ign. Click on weekly episode 14, it has a interview with one of the creators of Eternal Darkness. It' s midway(8 minutes) through the video.
< Message edited by he -- 25 Jun 06 15:35:42 >
ginjirou

RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Oct 04, 2006 01:46
I just bought the game today. Second hand though, I checked like 10 different stores today and none of them sold a brand new copy of it. I hope it' s good
Btw, am I the only one who thinks the background " music" in the GCN OS is really cool?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 3 Oct 06 17:48:03 >
He

• Total Posts : 292
RE: Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem - Is it good? - Oct 04, 2006 02:08
Tell me what you think after you play it for a while. I haven' t really gotten to talk with other people about the game. I don' t know many people who have played it.

What music do you mean? The rolling cube music (of which there are 3 variants, I love that), or the overall system music?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message