Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New PSP owner!!
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
New PSP owner!! - Jun 14, 2005 14:10
Just got my psp...FINALLY...

really just looking to get some ideas for what games i ought to pick up. i bought hot shots golf and will def be getting lumines....

anyhting else? anything good on the horizon?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 14, 2005 14:16
Ridge Racers and Wipeout Pure are pretty good.
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 14, 2005 14:26
hmmm...everyone seems to be in agreement about Ridge Racers. really that good?
Terry Bogard

RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 14, 2005 14:34
If you' re into racers at all then Ridge Racers and Wipeout Pure are worth looking into. Check your local Blockbuster Video to see if they have any PSP games as that would be a great way to umm " sample the goods" before plunking down the change for them.

I personally have enjoyed the majority of the PSP releases thus far.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 14, 2005 16:43
There isn' t anything outstanding for the PSP and I don' t see anything on the horizon. The DS continues to pummel the PSP in sales (and rightfully so, it' s more fun). I have played Wipeout Pure. I am a big fan of racing games and I must say STAY FAR AWAY FROM THAT GAME! It' s awful, just like the original. Europe should not be allowed to program games. The only European who should be allowed to do anything involved with making games is Richard Jaques Cousteau.
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 16, 2005 02:15
Lumines is a definite must-have. I' d spend hours playing this game even if it wasn' t portable. Deceptively simple, addictive, and a true evolution of the puzzle game.

I thought Wipeout was great as well. Once you get used to the controls (NEVER use the single brake setup), this plays more like the original games (which were great IMO). The music lacks personality this time, but I suppose that stuff like Prodigy and FSOL would seem old-hat by now.

Ridge Racer is arguably the best racer available on a portable, and I found that it looks and plays better than RRV did on PS2. However, you can' t shake that " been there, done that" feeling.

If you' re into BEUs, I' d recommend Darkstalkers Chronicles. For the first time ever, you get a classic BEU with absolutely no technical compromises on a portable. SFA3 on the GBA was a remarkable achievement, but this one is a dream come true if you like fighting games. The loading times are a pain, but they' re definitely bearable, better than the saturn version of the game. I had no trouble adjusting to the controls and getting into that familiar fireball groove after a couple of tries. Pressing the shoulder buttons along with the face buttons can get a bit troublesome, however.

Finally, stay AWAY from Rengoku. I got it as a gift, and only played it once. Initially, this looks fun but after half an hour' s play it' s all you can do not to fall asleep. Drab, plain and supposedly " mature" . Brrrr.
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 16, 2005 14:00

Europe should not be allowed to program games. The only European who should be allowed to do anything involved with making games is Richard Jaques Cousteau.

Were it not for Europeans you wouldn' t have your beloved Outrun 2 on your xbox!

Anyhow Ridge Racers and Lumines are musts.

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 16, 2005 14:07
Yes we would, Sega would have been forced to do it themselves and it wouldn' t have the frame droppage issues that show up occasionally. God invented Japan to program games!
Rai

• Total Posts : 3
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 17, 2005 14:51
I' m thinking about getting a PSP, but are there any good games avaliable for it soon besides ridge racers and wipeout? They both look like great games and have gotten good reviews at most websites, but I just don' t feel that shelling out 400.00 USD for a portable system with so few titles in worth it.

< Message edited by Rai -- 17 Jun 05 22:53:52 >
Terry Bogard

RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 17, 2005 20:52

I' m thinking about getting a PSP, but are there any good games avaliable for it soon besides ridge racers and wipeout? They both look like great games and have gotten good reviews at most websites, but I just don' t feel that shelling out 400.00 USD for a portable system with so few titles in worth it.

Well you' d have to give an idea of the type of games you' re most interested in, cause I can provide a list of games I' m currently enjoying on the PSP but it doesn' t mean that you' ll find them all as enjoyable as I do. :) I heard that some Blockbuster Video stores carry PSP games so that could definitely be of great benefit to you if one in your area does carry PSP games...

1. Ridge Racers:
Namco programming prowess, hi-spec handheld, Ridge Racer. Nuff said.

2. Wipeout Pure:
I' ve seen lots of mixed opinions about this game, some love it, some don' t like it at all. The game starts off on the slow side but picks up as you progress through the different race classes, the double edged sword is that it becomes a lot more difficult the farther you get. The later races zip by at almost blinding speeds and the AI opponents are quite fierce! Visually it' s one of the coolest looking games on the PSP, at times even rivaling the beautiful graphics of Ridge Racers. The music is pretty catchy in some spots as well. I can' t really compare it to past Wipeout games as I' ve only played one version for the PS2 and that was literally for a minute or two as I didn' t like the game.

3. Metal Gear Ac!d: I find this game amazing in the fact that I HATE turn-based RPGs and I' m not a fan of card games neither and this game emphasizes BOTH heavily, But for some reason it had my undivided attention for hours on end as I was completely sucked into this game!

4. Need Fo Speed Underground Rivals:
To tell you the truth, before I got my hands on the PSP version I had NEVER played a game from this series at all. The PSP version was my first exposure to it so I had no idea what to expect but in the end was happy with what I got. The music was surprisingly good in some areas, the graphics looked fine, and the gameplay was sort of addicting. The car customization feature is actually well-done here. I typically hate that stuff as I MUCH prefer an arcade racing experience, just give me fast car and send me off to the races, but this game featured the first car-customization feature that I actually bothered to mess around at the end of every other race. It' s that easy.

5. Spider-man 2:
A lot of folks down this game cause it' s uber short and they' re right, it is short. I finished it the very first time I played the game. I just plopped myself down onto the couch and four hours later I was staring at the end credits screen. But it' s still a solid game in my opinion. The sound is nice and full. The graphics are nice as well. Many griped that the game wasn' t free roaming like the console versions, I consider that a major plus as it keeps the flow of the game at a nice steady pace.

6. Darkstalkers Chronicle:
Argh this one is EXTREMELY difficult to recommend because the game kicks a$$ but the controls DON' T. And it' s not like you have the option to just plug in third-party controllers to rectify the problem. I wish Sony would do away with that ridiculous D-pad design of theirs. Graphically this game features beautiful 2D motion art, audio-wise its solid as well. The gameplay has the potential to be pretty good IF you can get your characters to perform the moves you want them to do during each fight.

7. Lumines:
It' s no Tetris but it' s currently the " Next big thing" as far as puzzle games go. The gameplay is addicting and it' s cool how it has an effect on the music.

8. Mercury:
Another puzzler, this one isn' t as popular as Lumines but I dig it quite a bit. Maneuvering your glob of mercury around in the later levels becomes a pretty tough task, but after trying and retrying for the 50th time, it can be rewarding to finally conquer the tough levels. The game also features some nice atmospheric tunes.

9. Space Invaders Pocket:
This is currently import but if you' re a big fan of the classic Space Invaders then it' s certainly worth a look. It' s basically a compilation of most of the Space Invaders games released since the original and I found it to be pretty good package, especially the later games. Playing the original and it' s minor updates was OK for a few minutes but eventually became pretty boring. The real joy for me came from playing the later stuff on there, Majestic Twelve and Space Invaders Party. Especially the latter which was quite colorful, scrolled in some areas, had boss battle, wacky characters, and nice upbeat music, all of which gave the game more of a TwinBee/Parodius feel.

10. Kollon:
Another import only title for now. This is another block-based puzzle game, definitely feels tougher than Lumines and is more cartooney. Sadly I think when it' s finally released here it' ll probably sell as many copies as the Xbox hardware sells in Japan on a weekly basis.

11. Ape Escape: On The Loose:
Just picked this one up tonight and played through three levels so far, so far so good. Seems like a pretty enjoyable platformer. I don' t know what folks who played the original Playstation version are b' tching about, the controls felt quite right. I guess once they get used to one control scheme it' s impossible for them to adapt to another, lol. Anyways I' m digging the game so far and can see myself investing plenty of time on this one as I' ve been itching for some portable platforming play.

12. Ape Academy:
It' s on its way over to the states and is a pretty fun little title. The entire game consists of different mini-games you can have fun with, some of which are pretty wacky. One of my favorites, even though most would probably find the concept weird is this one mini-game where you have to hand roses out to every pedestrian chimp walking past you, and you have to hand out as many as you can before the clock runs out. Like in real life when trying to hand out stuff to people walking by, some will ignore you and keep walking, some will get annoyed and some will take the roses.

- Untold Legends:
This game is major hit n miss to me. Some folks really like it, some folks really hate it, and some are still numb. This game without a doubt has one of if not the longest load times out of all of the PSP games I' ve played. Every time you enter or exit an area you have to deal with a Loading screen. There' s nothing worst than accidently exiting or entering an area, getting hit with the lengthy Loading screen and then having to re-enter or exit the area and get hit with the Loading screen again..... I started off as being impartial to the game, investing plenty of time, hacking, slashing and building up my character with different weapons, garments, and other items and was kind of enjoying the very beginning portions of the adventure but then it all quickly went to hell. I can only hope that the area I' m currently stuck in doesn' t have a similar-styled level later on in the game! And gawd what' s with the crappy music??!! Argh!

+ Hot Shots Golf:
While I have this game as well, amazingly enough I STILL haven' t played it and I' ve owned the import version since around the time of its release, lol.. Anyways a lot of folks swear by this game, I have yet to read or hear a negative word spoken of this game.

< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 19 Jun 05 2:30:00 >
Eastwood

• Total Posts : 158
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 19, 2005 20:34
Lumines and Hot Shot Golf.

That' s all I can offer at the moment.
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 20, 2005 14:10

Yes we would, Sega would have been forced to do it themselves and it wouldn' t have the frame droppage issues that show up occasionally. God invented Japan to program games!

No! That' s where your wrong. Sega of Japan had no intention of porting Outrun 2 to console. Sega of Europe commissioned it, if they hadn' t you wouldn' t have it. By the way the Japanese release had many of the bugs found in the European and American releases ironed out.
snatch24

• Total Posts : 49
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 22, 2005 13:05
us poor souls in th UK dont have PSP yet so i was wondering if u can play music through loudspeakers
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jun 23, 2005 02:26

ORIGINAL: snatch24

us poor souls in th UK dont have PSP yet so i was wondering if u can play music through loudspeakers

Yes, you can, but you really don' t want to. The PSP' s in-built speakers are tiny and barely functional. As soon as you plug in a decent pair of headphones, you will never go back. The difference is amazing. If you' re allergic to headphones or something, you could always go for some weird-looking third party audio solution.

Edit: Oh, and if someone from Sony is reading this, please let us play mp3s on the PSP while displaying photos with the next firmware update (well, I hope this can be fixed through a firmware update, I' m never sure with that technical stuff).
< Message edited by dismiss -- 23 Jun 05 10:30:49 >
GoUGA8383

• Total Posts : 15
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jul 03, 2005 08:19
Yeah I would Recomend Ridge Racer and maybe Tony Hawks Underground 2: Remix but I would also wait for some more titles to be released.
JoeRediferIsCool

• Total Posts : 74
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jul 04, 2005 19:17
Go for the Tony Hawk 2 Remix game. Awsome stuff good quality
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: New PSP owner!! - Jul 06, 2005 11:30
congrats hope you enjoy it .try out wipeout pure

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages