Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Id says modding Rage may not be possible
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Id says modding Rage may not be possible - Sep 17, 2008 20:29
Gamasutra reports that Tim Willits of Id Software speculates that modding possibilities for Rage could be rather limited, due mainly to their new streaming megatexture system.

Willits replied that id is as open to the idea of having the gamemodded as the company's always been, noting that his own career waslaunched due to users' ability to mod id titles -- but confessed thatthe technical complexities of the game may make it less possible formodders to work with.

Willits also noted that id's John Carmack is also positive on themodding community, but sees this technical issue as an obstacle.

"Unfortunately, Rage is going to be more difficult tomod," said Willits, primarily because of the complexity of the game'svaunted megatexture system, which stores the texture data for levels asone huge texture map that streams in, rather than many smaller textures.

Megatextures require huge amounts of processing power to be baked intotheir final form for distribution on the game disc; Willits alluded toa large number of computers working for a long time to process them,analogous to a CG render farm.

Personally I'm not really convinced that the megatexture system is going to look significantly better than the way things are currently done, which is to have every object individually texture-mapped.  I think there might be a marginal improvement but it remains to be seen whether it's really a phenomenal difference.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll