Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 300 - Like ' God of War' lite
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 06:28
I recently went to watch it. Kinda underwhelming; somehow I thought there should have been more over the top battle scenes, but when they have those money shots with the really cool and big creatures, they all die from one-shot kills.

Plus, there' s that gawd damn slow-mo effect. It didn' t work for the Matrix, and it as hell didn' t help here.

I got seriously bored from the battle scenes so much that I looked forward to the scenes with Leonidas wife and the politics of Sparta.

Oh, and the Persian King? He' s supposed to be a giant, but you only see that in ONE scene. The rest of the time the director forgot and the proportions made him a normal looking man =/

That said, only when the God of War movie is made in 2007 will we see something truly brutal and epic AND fun.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 08:00
... ...

I have no comment, aside from that was the most ignorant review of this movie I have seen even, " This is a video game cinematic that will fade from people' s minds quickly," wasn' t as bad.

But, off that note, I think the God of War movie needs the people who made this one...or it will be piss poor and where did you hear it was releasing this year? I thought it would be 2008 if not later for sure.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 08:23
God of war movie wont be untill 2009.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 09:52
Will anyone still care in 2009?
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 11:02
Blasphemy! :(

Having read the comic prior I knew what to expect. As with Sin City it was a comic book bought to life in the best way possible. The slow motion was done very well, normaly I hate slomo shots but the choreography and timing made it work perfectly. It was 300 (+/-) very well organized against an army of slaves and beasts so i wasnt expecting to see battlle likes those shown in the hundreds of epic battle movies prior. I only expected to see an artistic view af a battle. The 300 were portrayed as almost hercules status beings so of course beats went down easily. Even so there was that one huge bastard that went with the " immortals" , he was throwing the Spartens around like nothing and took a friggin sword out of his arm. If the Spartans were knocked around with ease it would sort of take the main point out of th emovie wouldn' t it?

The only thing I hated about the movie was that it made me feel realy really out of shape...
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 16:08
I didn' t go with expectations of a deep story, or huge and grand battle scenes. After all, it was only 300 spartans.

The only comparison to a video game that I would use is that the Spartans kicked supreme ass like you would as the main character in a game. Thats part of why I loved it. I' ve watched enough war movies where people have second thoughts, feel regret, become ashamed of what they have done, and fight amongst eachother(just think of the war movies in the last 10 years). It was nice to see an army that just kicked ass and had eachothers backs no matter what.

Nothings wrong with a movie that is exciting, makes no pretense at being really deep, and makes its characters look like badass heroes that kick some ass for a good cause.

When its all said and done, I really think it appeals to men mainly, 20 - 30 year olds especially.

Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 17:59
It doesn' t have to be ' deep' , didn' t any of you realize I was complaining that it wasn' t nearly as visceral as I thought it' ll be. Artistic and stylized can be done well for battle scenes, no matter the source material.

Not to mention some of the scenes were straight out copies from other movies like Lord of the Rings (not the battle scenes, mostly the necklace part and the daydreaming part when Leonidas seems to give-up) and Gladiator.

It' s on the onus of the director to make the movie exciting right? Instead of animating the panels of the comic book, it seems more like animating the scenes between panels and then pausing into slow-mo to match a comic panel.

It slows down the movement, the battles lose their brutality, it wasn' t adrenaline pumping at all.

If Russell Crowe as one man alone in an arena in Gladiator could make a more appealing and exciting battle scene than the hundreds and thousands in this movie, there is something wrong with the director or at least the choreographer.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 22:16

ORIGINAL: Alecrein

... ...

I have no comment, aside from that was the most ignorant review of this movie I have seen even, " This is a video game cinematic that will fade from people' s minds quickly," wasn' t as bad.

Hahaha, well if i remember correctly you liked V for Vendetta so you have no room to talk.

And yeah, i' ll stop busting your balls about your tastes in digital entertainment... Eventually.

300 wasn' t as good as Sin City and it wasn' t as good as Gladiator. It was better than Kingdom of Heaven and Alexander though... If only slightly.

It was more music video than film epic as far as i' m concerned.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 19, 2007 23:31
Movie was fucking awesome. I saw nothing wrong with it and was greatly pleased wit the whole thing.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 20, 2007 14:48

Hahaha, well if i remember correctly you liked V for Vendetta so you have no room to talk.

And yeah, i' ll stop busting your balls about your tastes in digital entertainment... Eventually.

300 wasn' t as good as Sin City and it wasn' t as good as Gladiator. It was better than Kingdom of Heaven and Alexander though... If only slightly.

It was more music video than film epic as far as i' m concerned.

V for Vendetta was a good Movie :P Noticed I said movie, I would never call it a great film. This was a great movie as well, highly enjoyable fight sequences.

:P. Anyway, to the Video Games forum, haven' t posted there in a little.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 22, 2007 06:12
Of course it wasnt as good as Sin City, Sin City is one of the top 10 greatest movies ever. IMO, which I know many will probably disagree.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 22, 2007 15:56

Sin City is one of the top 10 greatest movies ever.

I agree, I love that movie. I watch it all the time and I never get sick of it.
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 24, 2007 06:45

The only thing I hated about the movie was that it made me feel realy really out of shape...

Ditto.

As for the movie, it was good. Not bad. Good. Funny humour and some action...my only disappointment was that it was short and could have had more battle sequences. The 1st 30 min kept the movie well, with decent music and good slow motion capture.

The last two had no way near any comparison to 300. Nothing would be as good as gladiator, because it was done right. Plus 300 was Zack' s adaptation to Frank Milers 300.

I didn' t like V for vendetta too much politics, but the action was cool.
M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 24, 2007 23:17
I thought it was a good movie, but not awesome.
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 25, 2007 15:41
300 was bad ass...

300 is the best movie I' ve seen so far in 07...

300 for LIFFFEE.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 25, 2007 15:47
300 IZ DA BESTEST THING THAT HAZ EVA HAPPND ON DA PLANET EARTH EVER!!!!!! ITS BETTER THAN BEING BORN!
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 26, 2007 12:14
I' ve seen it 3 times in theaters now. Might be seeing it for a forth tomorrow.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Mar 31, 2007 07:13
Good movie, Nothing that great.

Went to see it yesterday, the battles, I enjoyed very very much, infact, I could watch those battles again and again, they where really alot of fun to watch and I dont usually love the violence over the plot.

Really, the plot dosent have much to it. You dont care for any of the charaters, its just, we are being attacked. I got 300 soliders. Ok, lets fight.

The poltics where not that smart and I felt bored with them really. good thing they dont last that long. I would go to see it again, just for the battles. in the end though, I guess it will end up on my dvd collection. Or whatever hd disc its on.

But I still dont get how he killed that Rhino thing with one spear...
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Apr 01, 2007 13:52
I' m willing to bet that 300 is going to be on Blue-Ray isn' t it...

same with probably, Pirates of the Caribbean 3... and Spiderman 3...

yep, Blue-Ray, IMO, looks like its won...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: 300 - Like ' God of War' lite - Apr 02, 2007 02:18
Downloaded and watched the screener. Still not impressed. Nice fight scenes but very little else.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll