Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 19, 2006 22:31

MotorStorm Import Impressions
Sony Japan pushes a potentially killer title out the door too early.
by Anoop Gantayat
US, December 18, 2006 - If you' re desperate to get your hands on MotorStorm, you might have considered importing the Japanese version of the game. Well I' m here to save you fifty bucks with a quick mental exercise.

First, power up your PS3, go into the PlayStation Store, and download that impressive MotorStorm demo that everyone has been talking about. Play it, taking note of a few areas in particular -- the title screen, with the rolling video in the background, the festival mode, which uses " tickets" to stand for racing events, the car select screen, which likes to keep you waiting while it loads up new car models, and so forth. Now (and here comes the mental part), close your eyes and picture that exact same demo, but with the following:

1. More video in the background during the title screen.

2. A set of six high definition movies under the movie section of the main menu. Included is a neat little look at how Motorstorm has progressed from an early demo featuring rough polygonal cars, to its not-so-final shape in the Japanese release, and a live action flythrough of Monument Valley, the setting for the game.

3. A bunch of additional racing tickets, some locked away until you' ve cleared the easier events.

4. An additional selection screen prior to some races that allows you to select a type of car. This allows you to, as just one example, drive a truck in a race full of motorcycles. I don' t think I need to let you know what happens next.

5. A few additional effects to make an already pretty game even prettier.

Got all that? Congratulations! You' ve just imagined the final Japanese version of Motorstorm.

Based on its Japanese release (and I' ll remind you that the version I' m writing about isn' t the one that' s due out in the West), Motorstorm is the most featureless racer I' ve ever played. There are only a couple of options, for adjusting the sound and screen and switching the motion sensor controls on and off. Missing are options for adjusting the number of opponents and track count, and such standard modes such as free run and time attack.

The game doesn' t even have any form of multiplayer racing. While we knew about the lack of online in the Japanese version, there' s no multiplayer what-so-ever, not even split screen!

Motorstorm also shipped to Japan with some of the glaring problems from the demo still in place. Load times prior to the start of a race can take up to 45 seconds. Car selection requires that you wait for new car models to load up, and you can' t even see your car' s stats on the selection screen (the stats are available in the manual). It' s exactly like the demo, and is unacceptable for a final product.

The PS3 is software starved in Japan (since launch, there have been only two mahjong games, and I, the reigning mahjong champion of Northeast India, have no need for the digital variety), so I put up with the missing features and spent the weekend playing Motorstorm' s racing events. And sure enough, I agree with the glowing impressions our boys in Europe have previously posted here at IGNPS3. The driving component of Motorstorm is a blast to play. You' ve never played a racing game quite like this, where the type of car you select can totally change the feel of the course, where the bumps and other obstacles that line the course are more of a challenge than your opponent racers, and where each lap can be raced on a different path. As I played, I found myself thinking that no two races are ever alike, and every race is better than the last.

Motorstorm is also the first real proof of the PS3' s true technical prowess (Resistance provided just a few hints). The game manages to deliver sharp detail up close for the cars and tracks, along with distant views full of extraneous details, including lots of waving banners. And beneath all that is an impressive simulation of 20 cars interacting with the track. While a few shortcomings get in the way, including the occasional unfortunate camera angle during replays, a bit of slowdown here and there, and mud effects that need a bit of work, this is the most technically impressive game I' ve ever played.

And it will likely be even more impressive once Evolution Studios finishes up development. Motorstorm was clearly not ready for its Japanese debut, and considering how poorly non-Japanese games tend to sell in the Japanese market, we' re not sure why Sony wasted the team' s precious time on rushing the Japanese release. We look forward to playing the real version of Motorstorm early next year, and, based on the preview provided by the Japanese version, fully expect it to be one of the finest racing experiences ever.

Long [up to 45 second] loading times, lack of options, slowdown, unfinished mud-effects etc...

Still it' s nice to know that they expect the US and EU versions to be much better. I look forward to playing the western release.

LINK
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 19, 2006 22:33
well you cant make fun of sony because remember, sony said next gen started when they said so, so maybe they havent said so yet
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 19, 2006 22:59

well you cant make fun of sony because remember, sony said next gen started when they said so, so maybe they havent said so yet

I guess we' ll have to wait a loooooong time before next gen starts then
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 20, 2006 02:00
Okay, I haven' t commented yet on the heated debates surrounding MotorStorm. I just want to make the observation that I' ve never seen any other game that has such polarized impressions of whether the graphics are amazing or horrible. I think most of this stems from the " target render" that was previewed two E3s ago. And also the fact that this title is really positioned as a graphics powerhouse (as opposed to, say, a physics powerhouse). And lastly, it makes a big difference whether or not you' ve actually seen the Southwestern deserts in person.

My observation is that this game looks really fun, like a total blast to play, especially multiplayer. But the graphics are a disappointment to me. The vehicles have so little detail that they really look like toys to me. And having actually been to the desert areas depicted in the game, I can say that I appreciate the attempt to recreate those areas but they just don' t come close to recreating the astonishing beauty of that environment. Something about the textures is also way too simplistic and repetitive.

So I guess the main issue is one of misplaced hype... the strength of MotorStorm is its interesting use of physics, and the sheer fun of it.
mastachefbkw

RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 20, 2006 05:33
Its about time IGN said something worth hearing
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 21, 2006 10:17
I told you guys this game sucks ass, it' s like people think I' m playing around - it seriously sucks ass. When I told you guys N3 sucked ass no one believed me, when I told you EM sucked ass no one believed me, and I was right, I' m telling you this game is garbage - I' m not making this up, it' s like people think I dedicate my life to claiming games that dont suck, suck, I don' t, this game is real trash, really.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 21 Dec 06 2:21:17 >
mastachefbkw

RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 21, 2006 12:06
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 21, 2006 14:30
I take it Evil Man said something (thank you for not quoting him; that makes my Blocking redundant)

I admired Motorstorms environmental effects (mostly, the mud. Apparently the sky makes you feel like you' re in the glass bowl in The Truman Show), though the car models left alot to be desired...

I guess the Japanese don' t like playing together at all if split-screen isn' t considered commercially viable...
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 21, 2006 21:41
In fact what evil man said wasnt very bad at all. He just thinks the game is crap. I dont, I think it looks like great fun, but I will have to wait untill the March eu Date to get some play with it to decide.
Dead Saint

• Total Posts : 205
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 21, 2006 21:44
This was the one PS3 game i liked the look of...so much for blue ray reduceing loading times
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 22, 2006 02:25
Beneath Evil Man' s gruff exterior beats the heart of a nimble wordsmith. Imagine, if you will, his alter-ego, Eloquent Man:

" As you' ll no doubt recall, I' ve previously advised you of this game' s poor performance and presentation. It' s as if my esteemed peers believe me to be in jest! Motorstorm quite plainly applies suction to a metaphorical posterior. Cast your minds back to the halcyon days when I noted that N3 had its lips planted upon the rectum of the gaming universe, and I was met with derisive scoffs of disbelief. And do me the favor of recalling the time when I announced that EM suckled upon fecal matter and I was met with suspicious replies. Nevertheless, I was correct in my assessments! What I' m vociferously communicating to you now is that Motorstorm is equivalent to that which one would find decomposing in a landfill! This is no mere flight of fancy on my part. It really seems as though my colleagues who frequent this forum believe that my life' s work is to slander high-quality games. I can assure you this is not the case! This game is truly waste material. Truly!"

(Translation services by Zoy Industries Interdimensional.)
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 22, 2006 02:31
:D
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 22, 2006 12:44
OMG! Evil Man with an actual non-fanboyish opinion! PIGS ARE SKIING!

Also, luvs Zoy
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 22, 2006 15:47
LOL Zoy, you just made my day!
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 23, 2006 10:52

ORIGINAL: Zoy

Beneath Evil Man' s gruff exterior beats the heart of a nimble wordsmith. Imagine, if you will, his alter-ego, Eloquent Man:

" As you' ll no doubt recall, I' ve previously advised you of this game' s poor performance and presentation. It' s as if my esteemed peers believe me to be in jest! Motorstorm quite plainly applies suction to a metaphorical posterior. Cast your minds back to the halcyon days when I noted that N3 had its lips planted upon the rectum of the gaming universe, and I was met with derisive scoffs of disbelief. And do me the favor of recalling the time when I announced that EM suckled upon fecal matter and I was met with suspicious replies. Nevertheless, I was correct in my assessments! What I' m vociferously communicating to you now is that Motorstorm is equivalent to that which one would find decomposing in a landfill! This is no mere flight of fancy on my part. It really seems as though my colleagues who frequent this forum believe that my life' s work is to slander high-quality games. I can assure you this is not the case! This game is truly waste material. Truly!"

You sound like the guy from V for Vendetta
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 23, 2006 11:40

ORIGINAL: Zoy

Sweet!
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: IGN says Japanese MotorStorm not worth buying - Dec 23, 2006 23:07
Excellant Zoy!, you should talk like that in every post.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 23 Dec 06 15:08:14 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message