Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What is it with americans and movie remakes?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 01, 2007 01:47
http://movies.ign.com/articles/784/784369p1.aspx
The article isn' t about remakes but it mentions two of them.
What' s wrong with the original movies?
For example, I think that the japanese version of Shall we dance was a really interesting movie and I saw no need for improvement or adapting it to other markets.
But then they make an american version and it sucked balls!
The Ring and many other movies were also worse in their remake versions (In my humble opinion of course).
What is with japanese movies that americans don' t like? Can' t you relate to the situations because the people have black hair or something? Or is it the film companies trying to make an extra buck? It' s a mystery to me.
Or do you americans here actually feel that the japanese versions aren' t good enough?
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 01, 2007 02:44
I' d say it' s as simple as most Americans won' t go and see a film with subtitles at the cinema. I really enjoyed the Ring remake, but I didn' t see the originals until after I saw the remake. Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn' t bad either.

It' s not just Jap films being remade at the moment either; the number of terrible remakes in the last 5 years has been astonishing. Italian job, Get Carter, Assualt on Precinct 13, Poseidon Adventure and the Omen all spring to mind. I' m also worried about Rob Zombie' s remake of Halloween and I can' t understand why he isn' t doing something new. Oh yeah, it' s because of money
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 01, 2007 02:48
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 01, 2007 05:03

Assualt on Precinct 13

That was a remake?
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 01, 2007 07:29
Production Values?

Maybe Americans don' t like the low quality filming techniques outside of hollywood, some foreign movies look really really basic, Americans rather watch a movie that looks awesome but has shitty actors.
< Message edited by Evil man -- 30 Apr 07 23:31:45 >
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 01, 2007 07:33
Yes, why think up your own idea when you can pinch someone elses. Cynical and opportunistic it maybe by the film/music/TV/games industry, but ultimately it is the punters who encourage them by buying into it.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 01, 2007 11:20
They take movies that sold really well and then get critics to give them high ratings so they can advertise it and make people want to see it, but after they see it their really disappointed so when it comes out on dvd they put an extra ending on... and then 10 years later they make an anniversary edition. Welcome to america
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 02, 2007 01:23

That was a remake?

" Assault on Precinct 13" was John Carpenter' s first studio-released movie. It' s genius. I have no interest in watching the new version, although I' ve heard it hasn' t been butchered as much as other Carpenter remakes. Anyway, a few years later, he went on to make " Halloween."
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 02, 2007 01:57
To me the original is always the original and the way it was intended to be.
You can build an Eiffel tower that' s 10 times higher in New York and you can build a statue of liberty in pure gold in Paris, but I would still prefer to originals, as they were intended to be.
Just my thought though.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 02, 2007 05:02

" Assault on Precinct 13" was John Carpenter' s first studio-released movie. It' s genius. I have no interest in watching the new version, although I' ve heard it hasn' t been butchered as much as other Carpenter remakes. Anyway, a few years later, he went on to make " Halloween."

Oh... okay. Thanks Zoy! I' ll be renting that for sure then. Never saw the remake anyway.

To me the original is always the original and the way it was intended to be.
You can build an Eiffel tower that' s 10 times higher in New York and you can build a statue of liberty in pure gold in Paris, but I would still prefer to originals, as they were intended to be.
In most cases yes, with a couple exceptions. I loved the remake of " The Producers" , but then again, that might not be the best remake to judge the others on seeing as Mel Brooks had a hand in both.
Die_Hounderdoggen

• Total Posts : 275
RE: What is it with americans and movie remakes? - May 04, 2007 05:18
Next on the list is ' The Seventh Seal' , starring Keaneu Reeves, Christina Ricci, and that guy that plays Jack Bauer as Death.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll