Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Zero Punctuation
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Zero Punctuation - Dec 12, 2008 18:47
Just thought some might enjoy another Yahtzee session if they haven't seen them for a while I always love going back to them every so often and laughing my head off the good ones are Left 4 Dead Mirrors Edge Fallout 3 Dead Space Silent Hill Homecoming and STALKER Clear Sky

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

He's spot on on most of them imo especially Fallout STALKER and Mirrors Edge

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:Zero Punctuation - Dec 12, 2008 22:04
I think he is more or less always spot on! Sometimes he is more harsh than i would have been, but im generelly very forgiving.

I loved Dead Space, though 3rd person heroes should alwáys speak, generally even first person heroes should.
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Zero Punctuation - Dec 12, 2008 22:06
He's spot on about flaws generally, but he blows them out of all proportion. That's the point :D

Yahtzee is one funny, funny bastard.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Zero Punctuation - Dec 13, 2008 04:02
If it's not Half-Life, then the main character should speak to make the story interesting.  I don't know how they do it, but this just doesn't apply to Gordon Freeman.  Hell, it might just ruin the game!
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Zero Punctuation - Dec 13, 2008 10:09
Yeah its always a balance between directed and non-directed.  The advantage of a speaking character and a solid story line is that the devs can really flesh it all out and make something compelling.  The only problem is if you dont like their character and story the whole game will suck.

Valve obviously thought who would actually want to be a bearded scientist that probably talks like John Major - so thought it best to let the player imagine most aspects of his character themselves by hiding everything about him.  But not speaking gets silly in scenes where you're alone in a lift with Alyx and she's trying to hold a conversation and just gets awkward silence as a reply.

In Dead Space though you dont get any characterisation at all - there doesn't seem to be any point to this though, and rather than let the player imagine who they want to be, it would've been a deeper game if he did say something once in a while.

Yahtzee was relatively sympathetic towards STALKER though, and although I love the game, technically its broken.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll