Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale'
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 51
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 09:04
http://www.nielsen.com/media/pr_070726.aspx

Though the main point of this article is regarding console usage which the ps2 reigned supreme an interesting fact emerged.

According to the survey

Wii households are upscale. They are more likely to earn more than $100,000 income per year.

So the theory that the Wii sells only because its cheap is effectively debunked (according to this report). We can lay that theory to rest now.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 27 Jul 07 1:06:30 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 09:10
Yeah right dude.

yes im sure all these people you see in line make that kind of salary bS.

I seen the wii consumer just look at the launch and the people buying it today it isnt rich people.

ANd btw my uncle is rich,he still use a crappy car,just because you have money doesnt mean you like to spend it,and it doesnt mean you gonna spend it on things you might not have the biggest intrest in.

Also I know rich people who hardly buy anything to their kids,my friend for ex had to have a NES until he was 15,not kidding,luckily for him his dad had fucking awesome pc' s that he played on.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 27 Jul 07 1:12:04 >
Terrak

RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 09:38
Quez Im not saying that all Wii owners are rich. Hell i don' t even make half of that. However this survey flys in the face of all those claiming that the Wii sell because its cheap. I never had any concrete evidence to refute their claims but now i do.

This statistically significant survey

The GamePlay Metrics user sample includes more than 12,000 households with approximately 33,000 individuals

Claims that the average Wii owner earns over 100,000 so in reality the majority of Wii owners didn' t buy the console because its cheap. They could have clearly bought a ps3 or 360.

BTW This is has nothing to do with the other consoles, this has everything to do with people claiming the Wii sells because cheap - thus the people who buy it are cheap. This claim is now proven to be False.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 09:54
This is nothing New, Wii drives New gamers in VIA its appeal over anything else..

I remember seeing a que on a monday morning at GAME where 50 Wii' s where in stock, a Massive que it was, it mostly consisted of City Business men in suits obviously nipped out of the office just for this. It was really strange to see this, ive never seen that kinda of thing before.. then i know a few restaurant owners who own Wii' s too. I suppose the atractive thing about them is they can have a nice simple game in between their busy schedules ETC.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 09:55
Well it sure as hell isn' t selling because it has lots of fantastic games!
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 10:06

Well it sure as hell isn' t selling because it has lots of fantastic games!

I think that depends who that' s coming from, a Hardcore owner or a Mom.. (my mom loves her Wii).. hehe.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 10:10

I think that depends who that' s coming from, a Hardcore owner or a Mom.. (my mom loves her Wii).. hehe.

That' s because Wii appeals to the lowest common denominator. If your Mom was a gamer she would think Wii is trash.
Terrak

RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 10:33

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

That' s because Wii appeals to the lowest common denominator. If your Mom was a 360 gamer she would think Wii is trash.

Amended.

BTW Where is your Wii sells because its cheap argument?
< Message edited by Terrak -- 27 Jul 07 2:35:05 >
Agent Ghost

RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 10:54
" BTW Where is your Wii sells because its cheap argument?"

It' s not an argument, it' s a fact. If you don' t think price sells you' re hopeless. At any rate Wii has taken too much of my attention, I don' t care how many Wii' s Nintendo sells.

As long as publishers keep making real games for competent platforms I' m happy, which I can' t imagine changing anytime soon.
Terrak

RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 11:16

" BTW Where is your Wii sells because its cheap argument?"

It' s not an argument, it' s a fact. If you don' t think price sells you' re hopeless. At any rate Wii has taken too much of my attention, I don' t care how many Wii' s Nintendo sells.

As long as publishers keep making real games for competent platforms I' m happy, which I can' t imagine changing anytime soon.

I' m sorry your argument was the ONLY reason the Wii sells is because it is cheaper. Stop trying to re-word your argument now its been proven false. I never said that the price had nothing to do with how good the Wii is selling. It definately is a factor, but far from the only factor as the survey suggests.

Face it how many units a consoles sell directly affects the quantity of games the console gets. If this weren' t true then the ps3 (which as everyone know currently has the lowest install base) would have held on to all the exclusive titles it had in the ps2 era. Unfortunately because of the larger 360 install base developers have largely given up on ps3 exclusivity (except for a few titles like MGS4 and FF). It has everything to do with install base. This is not to say that i will see games like GOW or MGS etc (those types of epic games) on the Wii. Those types of games will remain the domain of 360 & ps3. But i believe we will see more AAA Wii games that make proper use of the Wiimote thanks to its larger install base. And thats all i care for.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 11:26
Wohoo! Another Wii thread
I bet that if (when) there' s a WWIII, the Wii will be the reason behind it.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 12:18

ORIGINAL: Terrak

According to the survey

Wii households are upscale. They are more likely to earn more than $100,000 income per year.

So the theory that the Wii sells only because its cheap is effectively debunked (according to this report). We can lay that theory to rest now.

Gaming itself is upscale. If you are on a lower income you' re not going to waste money on amenities such as consoles and games. I would like to know the average incomes of household' s with other consoles such as PS3' s because they fail to mention it. They also fail to mention the average income of the population surveyed. Again, a critical piece of information is missing, giving no support to the claim of upscale households. If the average income of the population is in the $90,000 range then it' s really a moot point. Going by the information given, these statistics are flawed.

Not trying to start a flame war or anything but I am really interested as to why exactly you only come on these forums to praise the Wii? You have literally become " poster child" for Nintendo and every time I see one of your threads I know exactly what it' s going to be about before I read it. Do you have some vested financial interest with Nintendo? Why is flaunting positive statistical information about the Wii so necessary for your existence on these forums? I do not pose these questions in a patronizing way because I' d actually like to know the reason.

I' ve tried to come up with an answer for your persistent defense of a piece of silicon but I just can' t find any rationality beneath. I mean, so what if others don' t like the Wii? Will that change your personal enjoyment of the system? I think not. After seeing the latest Nintendo E3 conference, it' s become clear to me that Nintendo does not give a shit about us anymore. Face it. Games like Prime 3 and SSB will be few and far between compared to everything else. We may have helped carry them through the 80' s, 90' s, etc but it looks like they want out of the relationship permanently. Nintendo will go down the same successful path as EA has done with The Sims - feeding mediocrity to the masses. Wii fit/sports/boot camp/etc. And hey, it works too. The Sims franchise is one of the most successful games ever, with nearly half the top 20 charts being consistently dominated by different iterations of the game. Part of me is annoyed (the loyal fan who grew up with them), the other is indifferent (rationality). Hey, they' re a business too and the want to cash in - they' ve certainly found a profitable market.

I really don' t care what Nintendo does because they' re not targeting my demographic anymore. I' ll buy the Wii when it has some games that I want on it. But why do you constantly need to defend that which does not need defending? Why must you spam these boards with pro-Nintendo dribble that very few care about? We get it - you like the Wii and that' s great. What more do you want?
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 12:58

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Wohoo! Another Wii thread
I bet that if (when) there' s a WWIII, the Wii will be the reason behind it.

I don' t even want to think about how long you' ve been waiting to bang that one
out of the door.

Oh, and UnluckyOne' s post raises a valid point. We all know how
well the Wii is doing, it was always going to come out on top. However, most
people on this board care about the games, which quite frankly, the Wii is
lacking in this moment in time, the prospective release looks promising, but
nothing that isn' t expected of Nintendo.

Seriously, " damage control" threads like these aren' t really necessary, this
almost sounds like a self re-assurance thread that Nintendo is " kicking ass and taking names" .

Well, as I said, UnluckyOne' s post makes a hell of a lot more sense than I am trying to make..
Agent Ghost

RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 13:06

I' m sorry your argument was the ONLY reason the Wii sells is because it is cheaper.

I never changed my argument, you' re the one dancing around the facts. My stance has always been that if the three consoles were the same price, Wii would be a distant third place. I don' t think you realize how many people are on the fringe of buying a PS3 and 360. A much larger percentage of the potential Wii user base has already bought a Wii compared to PS3 and 360, they have no reason to wait for a price drop because it' s so cheap. The only reason Wii sales haven' t topped out is because Nintendo is smart enough to control supply and keep the hype high. It' s better for Nintendo' s stock to have a supply issue than to have a demand issue, they know this.

I can argue semantics of the word " ONLY" forever if you want. I used it in the sense that a HUGE price advantage is single reason why Nintendo is enjoying a strong start right out of the gate. Otherwise it would have taken longer to sell 10 million Wiis. 10 million means nothing, that' s not even half of GC sales. Wake me up when Wii sells 60 million, then I' ll be impressed. Obviously it takes more than a price tag to sell a console. I don' t know how many Wii' s Nintendo would sell if it was literally made of shit. I know some people are legitimately interested in the Wiimote, I never denied that.

Still my opinion hasn' t changed at all, if all three consoles had the same price tag PS3 would be selling the best, followed by 360 followed by Wii.

Look whats happening with PS2 sales, its a completely outdated console, and no one should be buying it yet sales are strong because it' s CHEAP. Meanwhile the PS3 sales have more than doubled since a modest price drop. I say modest because the PS3 is still far more expensive than a Wii.

The worst argument People use against my stance on Wii sales is probably comparing DS and PSP sales. First of all Handhelds are very different from consoles. Secondly, DS also has the price advantage, and arguably has more games (certainly compared to Wii against 360 or PS3). Finally, we have to remember that PSP is actually doing very well. Sony went from 0% marketshare to where it is today, Nintendo went from 95% marketshare in handhelds to where it is now. PSP came from nothing while Nintendo practically had a monopoly in handhelds. I hope that puts things in perspective.

So far this gen the potential marketshare for the console space has been barely tapped. The fact that the cheapest console is selling well initiallly given the high price of the other two is almost a given.

This time next year will be interesting. We`ll see prices for the PS3 and 360 fall and the releases of the titles everyone is waiting for. Wii has nothing big planned. A price drop for Wii seems unlikely to make a difference as they already enjoy the price advantage and Nintendo fans would have bought a Wii for Nintendo games anyways. It`s hard to imagine MP3 being a system seller the way that Halo 3 and MGS4 will be.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 27 Jul 07 5:10:55 >
Terrak

RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 14:30

I would like to know the average incomes of household' s with other consoles such as PS3' s because they fail to mention it. They also fail to mention the average income of the population surveyed. Again, a critical piece of information is missing, giving no support to the claim of upscale households. If the average income of the population is in the $90,000 range then it' s really a moot point. Going by the information given, these statistics are flawed.

The average household income of ps3 or 360 owners is irrelevant. I was trying to point out that Wii owners Averaging around US$100,000 in general have alot of disposible income, enough to afford a 360 or ps3. They are not poor family that can afford no better, as the argument " Wii sells only because its cheap" implies. Does US$100,000 average income sound poor to you? Does it imply that could not afford a ps3 or 360 on that income? I don' t think so. This invalidates the ' Wii is sold only because its cheap' Theory.

Not trying to start a flame war or anything but I am really interested as to why exactly you only come on these forums to praise the Wii? You have literally become " poster child" for Nintendo and every time I see one of your threads I know exactly what it' s going to be about before I read it. Do you have some vested financial interest with Nintendo? Why is flaunting positive statistical information about the Wii so necessary for your existence on these forums? I do not pose these questions in a patronizing way because I' d actually like to know the reason.

How is pointing out that a Theory being flawed praising Nintendo? I have always remained critical of things Nintendo have done wrong as well as pointing out what i feel they' ve done right.

Well i am a self confessed Nintendo Fanboy which i openly admit. Atleast i' ve made it clear where i stand and not pretend i am neutral on an issue when i am not. I ask you, Have i been going to Ps3 or 360 threads bagging them out - no. I don' t see what the problem is really.

I unfortunately will not have any financial gains due to the Wii success. The only gain i will have that it will not go the way of the GC. Thats something for me to be thankful about.

I' ve made it clear why i posted those numbers. I' m not flaunting them. These were used to debunk a ' commonly' held theory regarding the Wii. I never made the assumption that Wii owners are richer then 360 or ps3 owners. Secondly i use the data to back my claims - plain and simple. By providing data i show clearly that my comments are not opinions but facts. Would you rather i post unsubstanciate comments?

Finally i post my comments to show that there is another way to view the situation. While some people bag the Wiis limited graphical capabilities etc etc i look at The positives. By posting my comments i show that there are different ways to look at the circumstances. A different Point of View.

I' ve tried to come up with an answer for your persistent defense of a piece of silicon but I just can' t find any rationality beneath. I mean, so what if others don' t like the Wii? Will that change your personal enjoyment of the system? I think not. After seeing the latest Nintendo E3 conference, it' s become clear to me that Nintendo does not give a shit about us anymore. Face it. Games like Prime 3 and SSB will be few and far between compared to everything else. We may have helped carry them through the 80' s, 90' s, etc but it looks like they want out of the relationship permanently. Nintendo will go down the same successful path as EA has done with The Sims - feeding mediocrity to the masses. Wii fit/sports/boot camp/etc. And hey, it works too. The Sims franchise is one of the most successful games ever, with nearly half the top 20 charts being consistently dominated by different iterations of the game. Part of me is annoyed (the loyal fan who grew up with them), the other is indifferent (rationality). Hey, they' re a business too and the want to cash in - they' ve certainly found a profitable market.

Persistent defence? Hmm i see when Virtua Fighter posted his " Six Reasons The Xbox 360 Is in Trouble " thread the 360 fans were up in arms. I never even posted in that BTW. But when I defend the Wii its a big deal. Can i call hypocrisy? Stop trying to make it sound as if i' m forcing anyone to change there mind. I clearly said if you feel that way about the Wii that is your right. However when you make factual claims with out any evidence to back it up then i am well within my rights to refute those claims, especially with evidence. It would be easier if people would stop passing of opinions as facts but sometimes thats not the case.

As for the rest of your comment well some of the things i agree with to a certain extent but thats your opinion on the matter. Its one perspective on the situation.

Funny thing is its not like the 360 fanboys talk glowingly of the Wii, so why is it so hard to understand when a self confessed Nintendo fanboy does so?
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 15:12

Persistent defence? Hmm i see when Virtua Fighter posted his " Six Reasons The Xbox 360 Is in Trouble " thread the 360 fans were up in arms. I never even posted in that BTW. But when I defend the Wii its a big deal. Can i call hypocrisy? Stop trying to make it sound as if i' m forcing anyone to change there mind. I clearly said if you feel that way about the Wii that is your right. However when you make factual claims with out any evidence to back it up then i am well within my rights to refute those claims, especially with evidence. It would be easier if people would stop passing of opinions as facts but sometimes thats not the case.

No no, gaming fans were up at arms. I think most of us are beyond calling us selves fanboys.

We defended the 360 because the claims weren' t valid.

I unfortunately will not have any financial gains due to the Wii success. The only gain i will have that it will not go the way of the GC. Thats something for me to be thankful about.

I wish it was more like the GC, atleast that console had some of the most technical impressive games on the generation
Agent Ghost

RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 15:30

This invalidates the ' Wii is sold only because its cheap' Theory.

No it doesn' t. Firstly, you' re overstating the quote. It stated that wii owners are more LIKELY to make $100 000 a year per household. That can mean anything, it might just mean that Wii owners make on average 5 cents more per year. We don' t know because it doesn' t say. Secondly, you expect us to assume that the information is accurate. I would need more proof than their word. I want to see their methodology before jumping to conclusions in any direction. In addition to this there is a lot of information missing to decide anything substancial. For example, I would like to see how many consoles Wii owners have Vs. PS3/360 owners. If most wii owners outside of Japan also bought at least one of the other two consoles your point is fucked.

There' s just so many holes in your argument. Not the least of which is that fact regardless of income people will always be price conscience. 100 000$ per year is not as much as it sounds for a houshold; especially for these mega cities with high inflation (where Wii' s are sold). What' s the average income per houshold in Tokyo for gamers?
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 16:35

Quez Im not saying that all Wii owners are rich. Hell i don' t even make half of that. However this survey flys in the face of all those claiming that the Wii sell because its cheap. I never had any concrete evidence to refute their claims but now i do.

This statistically significant survey

quote:

The GamePlay Metrics user sample includes more than 12,000 households with approximately 33,000 individuals

Claims that the average Wii owner earns over 100,000 so in reality the majority of Wii owners didn' t buy the console because its cheap. They could have clearly bought a ps3 or 360.

BTW This is has nothing to do with the other consoles, this has everything to do with people claiming the Wii sells because cheap - thus the people who buy it are cheap. This claim is now proven to be False.

I' m breaking my 666 number of posts just for this. Mainly because I' m drunk but who cares.

All I have to say is this. Just because someone makes a fair amount of money doesn' t mean that they aren' t discriminating with their wallet when it comes to a console or gaming device. For example. My aunt owns a 1 milllion + dollar apartment in Toronto and a multi million dollar apartment in Sydney(her balcony is about 200 feet from the Opera house(you can see the apartment building on google maps), and the other balcony looks out on the harbor, yet she drove a 1991 honda civic hatchback(meanwhile I, 17 and poor owned a 94 hatch) when she lived in Canada 5 years ago and hasnt even bothered to buy a car in Australia.

People have different priorities, and from my experience with anyone who isn' t a hardcore gamer, spending 400+ on a gaming machine seems almost ridiculous in their eyes. And since the Wii sells largely to a non-hardcore audience, it doesn' t surprise me that these results are what they are.

And for god sakes, stop posting shit about the bloody Wii. It is only one of three consoles, and to many hardcore gamers, it is the worst of the three. You say you are mainly a PC gamer, so post something about that. At least many of us like Agent, Quez, and myself could appreciate that. This wii stuff is just tiresome. Until it proves itself with great games(more than 3 in a year), then I don' t care what anyone has to say about it. 2008 may convince me to buy one, but Mario Galaxy just isn' t enough, and sales figures don' t make me care on iota.
Terrak

RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 17:13

This invalidates the ' Wii is sold only because its cheap' Theory.

No it doesn' t. Firstly, you' re overstating the quote. It stated that wii owners are more LIKELY to make $100 000 a year per household. That can mean anything, it might just mean that Wii owners make on average 5 cents more per year. We don' t know because it doesn' t say. Secondly, you expect us to assume that the information is accurate. I would need more proof than their word. I want to see their methodology before jumping to conclusions in any direction. In addition to this there is a lot of information missing to decide anything substancial. For example, I would like to see how many consoles Wii owners have Vs. PS3/360 owners. If most wii owners outside of Japan also bought at least one of the other two consoles your point is ***ed.

Let me correct something you conveniently left out -
The Study suggests that

They are more likely to earn more than $100,000 income per year.

LOL I am overstating the point or do you have trouble comprehending it? Let me see are we going to have an discussion on the definition of MORE THEN LIKELY? Or are you going to redefine it your way. I think its pretty clear what is being said in the sentence, but you are clearly trying your best to discredit the facts so you can in someway maintain your POV. In any event it says the Majority of Wii owners (as the term More then Likely implies) earn MORE then 100,000. Thus the majority of them did not buy the Wii because it was the Cheapest, because they earn enough to afford any in not all 3 consoles. This invalidates your Argument whether you' d like to admit it or not.

You question its accuracy now? Wow go figure. So your definition of Accurate is your opinion. ALL RIGHHTY THEN. Look at how they compiled the data (read the article in full). Look at the sample size (33,000 individuals) and you question the validity of the survey. Where is YOUR evidence, where is Your studies that back your claims? Oh thats right you have none. And you think you have the right to question their data. What a joke. When you have evidence to back you up then you can talk, until such time stick to the facts (if that is possible). The ONLY reason you question the data presented is because it directly DESTROYS your primary argument against the Wii. Had it been positive 360 news i guarantee you would not even question it one bit.

There' s just so many holes in your argument. Not the least of which is that fact regardless of income people will always be price conscience. 100 000$ per year is not as much as it sounds for a houshold; especially for these mega cities with high inflation (where Wii' s are sold). What' s the average income per houshold in Tokyo for gamers?

Hahah. Holes in my argument? You have failed to raise a single valid point. You have no absolutely no evidence (links please your words do not count as facts) to back you up and you make this bold assumption. Try again.

BTW it was them that described Wii owners as upscale, but your too busy trying to redefine the term to fit your point of view that you forgot the truth.

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Wii sells only because its cheap? BS! Study finds average Wii owner ' upscale' - Jul 27, 2007 17:19

The ONLY reason you question the data presented is because it directly DESTROYS your primary argument against the Wii. Had it been positive 360 news i guarantee you would not even question it one bit.

He isnt denying that its selling well. He is giving his thoughts as to why its selling so well.

It sure as hell isnt because it has a great lineup of games.

They marketed the Wii as a gimmick, kinda like a family game, board games are kinda dead with the arrival of video games, the wii has marketed in such a way that its no longer Taboo for the parents to play with their kids*. The Wii is in.

*this sentence is not to be misunderstood!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 51

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message