Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Classics remade
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
Classics remade - Nov 07, 2006 09:38
In these modern days of fast-paced action games with elaborate 3D graphics, multiplayer options, surround sound and tons of other extras, I think it' s necessary to sometimes just step back and take another look at the games which made you fall in love in the first place. So I suppose my question is this: If you could remake any of the classics game on a new console, which would it be and how would you do it (please go into as much detail as you would like).

I personally do have some ideas already:
_1: FF6, with actual orchestral sound (God can you imagine?), And the most elaborately beautiful 2D graphics to date, which would attempt to do justice to the incredible art of Yoshitaka Amano (in a way none of the old FFs could); I' m actually talking about Guilty Gear/ Fist of the North Star type graphics here. I think it could help this new generation of players understand their heritage, as well as see what games were like back when story used to be the determining factor in their success (God it was such an incredible game!).
_2: The same treatment for all the old Great 2D RPGs (ie: Xenogears, except this time make it full 2D; mana games, Suikoden 1 and 2, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 1 and 2, Link to the past, Chrono Trigger, FF tactics, Lunar 2, Orge Battle and Tactics Ogre, Persona 2, Tales of Destiny 1 and 2, Saga frontier 2, Front Mission 2, and many other great Snes ones which don' t come to mind right now)
_3: MGS1, WITHOUT touching Kojima' s original cutscenes (altough perhaps some of the non action-oriented one could really be rewritten and shortened), and with MGS4 level graphics. Everything else should be left AS IS.
_4: Remake Bushido Blade with better Graphics; that was a great concept which really deserves another look.
_5: Remake Megaman 1 with a better storyline and the ultimate 2D graphics.
_6: Starcraft and Warcraft 2 with better 3D (Incredible 3D Graphics actually).
_7: Remake Final Fantasy 7 with graphics as seen in the E3 Demo; that' s just a given.
_8: Remake Panzer Dragoon Saga. Have team Ninja do the Graphics.
_9: Remake System Shock 2 with Great 3D graphics. Everything else should be left as is (maybe slightly better AI too). Have valve do this one.
_10: Saga Frontier II(personal favorite), again with gorgeous 2D graphics.

That' s all I can think of for now. Please give me your thoughts, and more from me later!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Classics remade - Nov 07, 2006 10:34
I want Legend of the Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon! That game was teh roxx.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Classics remade - Nov 07, 2006 10:56
I want a HD Anthology of all the Battletoad games via Live, with offline and online co-op.

I want Seaman (Dreamcast) remade and completely upgraded for 360. It would kick ass if it supported digimask technology so eventually the creature would take your likeness...I' m a genius. I need to speek with gaming producers.

I love the Aliens Vs. Predators mythology, so I want a remake of one of the two Aliens Vs. Predator games. For PS3,360 and PC. Heres the kicker, the PC players are all humans, the 360 players are all predators while the PS3 players are all Aliens, and they play against eachother. A competitive cross platform FPS wrapped around the Aliens vs. Predator universe. Someone has to make this game!
< Message edited by Agent ghost -- 7 Nov 06 2:57:46 >
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: Classics remade - Nov 07, 2006 13:26
I' m playing Valkyrie Profile right now... they don' t make them like that anymore (Yes, I know the game was re-released, but it was a port, so it doesn' t count).
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Classics remade - Nov 07, 2006 14:57
Team Ninja to make a Panzer Game?..

I' ld much Rather AM2 to handle the graphics, they are masters of Crazy details.. (when one see' s VF5 for real, they would understand)..

Team ninja' s graphic Style would be perfect for a Wonder Boy III: Dragons Trap Remake tho..
< Message edited by f3hunter -- 7 Nov 06 7:13:13 >
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Classics remade - Nov 08, 2006 06:42

_7: Remake Final Fantasy 7 with graphics as seen in the E3 Demo; that' s just a given.

...possibly already at the planing phase, methinks....
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Classics remade - Nov 08, 2006 17:17
I think instead of remaking some older games, we should get back to making new games with the same values we used to. One of the lectures I give to introduce students to the concepts involved in games production covers bases which we take for granted - Innovation, originaly and the use of metaphor. When the arcade industry was at its peak every arcade title had to be completely unique if you wanted success.

Also i think that good games do not simulate reality, they mirror an emotional reality, they allow a player to balance on the critical edge of failure, but allow him the means to survive (dead rising Im looking at you!) and to take a leaf out of games form yesteryear and realise that the whole world is " fun" and that it' s not hte environment we should be looking at it is the scale and remit of challenge for a title that makes it woth playing.

I have to educate based on current technology trends, which is fine - but I think the use of metaphor in games has been damaged by technology craving (and we are all guilty of this!) Attention to detail is fine, but we look at it to a point where we are obsessed with it. We have build an Arms race of software publishers looking at technology use checklists to decide whether a title is worth supporting or not over and above the story, or the gameplay.

I' m a firm believer that a game should not be a stripped down simulation, and most of you will be well aware that the greatest games have subconcious emotional associations. I just hope that developers of the future get back to their roots, as nintendo find time and time again, good game mechanics sell games just as well as the latest graphics*

* I also love graphics particularly referencing the cutting edge in lectures wherever possible, but I realise that new batches of programmers tend to not have any association with the true feeling, or natural high of playing a game you connect with on an almost subconcious level after a period of time. When our neurolicial pathways get burnt down to a point where reactions are on a subconcious level some wonderful times can be had with gaming. I can but hope more and more games combine the best of both worlds.... Gears of War here I come!
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Classics remade - Nov 08, 2006 20:13

_6: Starcraft and Warcraft 2 with better 3D (Incredible 3D Graphics actually).

Actually, a mod team has been working on a Starcraft mod using the Warcraft III engine. Not sure if they got shut down by Blizzard once they started showing some features of the mod, but I doubt it.

Also, EGM kinda confirmed that FFVII remake some four issues back if I remember correctly. But due to the FFXIII project, not much news on that remake (though, I' m thinking they' re holding onto it whenever they happen to have a slow half-year)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll