Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results - Feb 18, 2008 10:16
The Popular web search-engine Yahoo has recently removed a popular torrent weBsite from their search engine (My conscience won' t permit me to post the url, followed by a .com).

LINK

So the great question is this. Is it Yahoo' s place to hinder the access of potentially legal information, taking on the responsibility to uphold the copyrighted information of people they have no affiliation with?
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 18 Feb 08 2:17:45 >
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results - Feb 18, 2008 10:52
Eddy, you crack me up

Anyway, back on topic, I don' t think Yahoo should be getting into this whole mess. What may have started as just removing this site, may well go on to become a mass crusade to remove similar sites from their engines, which would be impossible anyway, as they spring out everyday. If anything, they should just stay on the sidelines, as they might end hurting themselves in the long run, as lots of people only hit the search engines to find content from similar sites as the one erased, and may end up just migrating to google instead.

Is not like they have any rights over the copyrighted stuff anyway, or will even get something out of it for acting as the " goody two-shoes" of the internet.
< Message edited by chimura -- 18 Feb 08 2:53:24 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results - Feb 18, 2008 11:06

Eddy, you crack me up

IT' S SPELLED WITH AN IE

DAMMIT! THAT' S 2 FOR 2!

< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 18 Feb 08 3:06:59 >
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results - Feb 18, 2008 11:11
It' s really not suprising coming from Yahoo. They work on a manual indexing method versus Google' s (and others) automatic web crawler indexing. In order for any site to appear on Yahoo search, they need to submit a request to be listed. As far as I know, Yahoo only accepted on average about 1 in 3 requests for listing on their search engine. So given Yahoo' s nature, they' re well within their rights to do this.

This will do little to no damage to TPB or any similar website. They' re crackers and will inherently find a way to get around this. Heck this is nothing compared to the DNS filtering they were facing a couple of weeks ago and they not only laughed it off but used it to their advantage.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/12/pirate-bay-laughs-ifpi-internet
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results - Feb 18, 2008 11:20
Well, Yahoo isn' t some governent run free-for-all. It' s a company. People own it. They are well within their rights to block or list whatever they want. The market will respond accordingly.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results - Feb 18, 2008 11:31
LOL, ...the top result when searching for ' piratebay' is the freakin' Pirate Bay' wiki page.

Good job Yahoo
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results - Feb 18, 2008 11:55
well with the pirate bay you can' t really say it is used for legal torrents. It is called the freaking PIRATE bay. It is obvious the purpose of the site is for illegal torrents.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Yahoo Blocks Popular Torrent Site From Search Results - Feb 18, 2008 17:20
I dont really agree with this censorship on Yahoo' s side, but, well, as somebody mentioned, they are a private company and can do whatever they want with their search engine. I just hope that Microsoft, Google, etc. won' t follow Yahoo' s example.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll