Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Game Informer' s Mass Effect review
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 20, 2007 05:20
So yeah got my Game Informer today. Has that lil ol Mass Effect review in it also.

...Oh what you wanted to know what it said and what the verdicts were? Silly me I almost forgot to mention them huh? Anyways, later.

Review Score: 9.75
Second Opinion: 9.75

Concept: One of the greatest science fiction stories ever told, and a new benchmark for video game storytelling.

Graphics: Every second of gameplay offers visual quality you have come to expect from Final Fantasy cutscenes.

Sound: One of th emost memorable and unique soundtracks in gaming. It' s inspired by ' 80s sci-fi, yet sounds like nothing you' ve heard before. The game also features an amazing ensemble of voice actors.

Playability: Functional and fun, but somthing always seems to be amiss with the AI and balancing.

Entertainment: An expancive quest (18-30 hours) that toys with your emotions, and keeps you engaged.

Replay Value: High

Review below. As mentioned prior to edit the mag was packed full of reviews and previews so they had to cut some things short and the review section was one of them. Major review limited to one page and limited pics.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 19 Oct 07 22:19:05 >
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review (scan' s later) - Oct 20, 2007 05:24
grr, i was reading that!! I need to know more!!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review (scan' s later) - Oct 20, 2007 05:41
SCANS NEEDED :P
Mass X

RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review (scan' s later) - Oct 20, 2007 06:17
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review (scan' s later) - Oct 20, 2007 06:18
what' s really bothering me about this magazine is:

they gave Bioshock 10/10

mass effect, which is supposdly a better game got 9.75/10.

Bioshock does not deserve 10/10, that i' m sure of at least...
Mass X

RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 20, 2007 06:20
It got knocked for AI issues. Full review in my previous post.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 19 Oct 07 22:20:28 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review (scan' s later) - Oct 20, 2007 06:22

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

Bioshock does not deserve 10/10, that i' m sure of at least...

Yes it does.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review (scan' s later) - Oct 20, 2007 06:24
Bioshock is well made... but sometimes a little boring. It doesn' t give me that urge to complete it, which is why I haven' t completed it yet. That' s a pretty big flaw.
Abasoufiane

RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 20, 2007 06:29

Graphics: Mass effect > bioshock

Music : ?

Longevity: mass effect > Bioshock

Story: Mass Effect > Bioshock

so even if it miss a few points because of the Ai and balancing, not like Bioshock is perfect it has its own issues as well, the above can make up for it and even exceed it.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 20, 2007 06:35
come on 9.75? i hate this point score thing, either its a 9 or a 10. Oh ya i love the NOM always giving zelda 9.9, cos no game can be 10.

In fairness no game can be 10. A ten is like the best game ever made, one that everybody likes, loves and enjoys.

anyway back to my point, Mass effect' s premise is interesting but the gameplay looks boring from what I see. I' ll wait untill I play it though.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 20, 2007 06:37

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

In fairness no game can be 10. A ten is like the best game ever made, one that everybody likes, loves and enjoys.

Resident Evil 4???
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 20, 2007 06:55

Resident Evil 4???

some people didnt like it. I loved it but whatever. its not a 10 though, a 9 for sure.
Abasoufiane

RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 20, 2007 07:06
Resident evil 4 deserves a 10 more than bioshock does, you see a 10 for me is a game that revolutionize its genre and its' at the top in graphics, animation, story (if there is one), sound, charismatic characters, gameplay : very fun, easy intuitive controls, never (or rarely) gets boring. the replay value should be high as well, some original ideas as well and a great atmosphere, that' s a 10, does Bioshock fulfill all this ? NOOO
Mass X

RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 20, 2007 07:13

Resident evil 4 deserves a 10 more than bioshock does, you see a 10 for me is a game that revolutionize its genre and its' at the top in graphics, animation, story (if there is one), sound, charismatic characters, gameplay : very fun, easy intuitive controls, never (or rarely) gets boring. the replay value should be high as well, some original ideas as well and a great atmosphere, that' s a 10, does Bioshock fulfill all this ? NOOO

In Your Opinion. Some may have polar thoughts to that easily. So woopty *** to it all you can' t please everyone obviously.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 19 Oct 07 23:16:07 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 21, 2007 13:38

Bioshock is well made... but sometimes a little boring. It doesn' t give me that urge to complete it, which is why I haven' t completed it yet. That' s a pretty big flaw.
I thought it was great the first time through and never got boring one bit, but then I went back and tried to play through a second time and it seemed rather pointless
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 21, 2007 17:01

I thought it was great the first time through and never got boring one bit, but then I went back and tried to play through a second time and it seemed rather pointless

I feel much the same way. The first time was a blast and a half. I even cut my summer vacation with the family in Brittish Columbia 1 day short so I could get a day in of gaming before my six 12 hour a day shifts started.

I' ve gotten about halfway through the game a second time on max difficulty(still seams a bit easy to be honest), and everytime I look at it on my shelf and consider playing it I just end up grabbing Halo 3, Warhawk, or a sports title.

I personally feel game reviewers rate games way too high. For me, a 95 means a game is damn near perfect. That not only is it amazing to play, it is long, it leaves a lasting impression, it defines its genre, it is great fun, and it has replayability. Essentially, it is damn near perfect.

Bioshock, and for that matter, almost any game I' ve played for many years isn' t a 95. A 90 sure, maybe more like an 87, but not a 95, not a nearly perfect. It isn' t that long, it is a bit toned down from the likes of System Shock, and it doesn' t have that much replayabiltiy. However, it does define it' s genre(though it draws from many), it was extremely fun, and it did leave a lasting impression. I love the game, it is one of my top 30(I play, and love too many games to make my list smaller), and I will never trade it in.

Back on topic, I can' t wait for Mass Effect. I have been wanting a good RPG for quite a long time, and this certainly seems to be what I' ve been waiting for. Not to mention it is made by one of my favorite developers of all time. Great fun!!!!!!! (VX Chemical will get it).

Last note. Good to see you are still posting Masta, I hadn' t used the forums much for a while and was wondering if you had gone the way of so many others and disappeared.

edit - gimped quote
< Message edited by Dagashi -- 21 Oct 07 9:02:32 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 23, 2007 10:41

Last note. Good to see you are still posting Masta, I hadn' t used the forums much for a while and was wondering if you had gone the way of so many others and disappeared.
I guess Im here and staying
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Game Informer' s Mass Effect review - Oct 23, 2007 15:49

Great fun!!!!!!! (VX Chemical will get it).

This leaves me confused!

I will get it, Its probably one of the most important titles released this gen. Though i hope they' ve drawn inspiration from Torment and Fallout in the regard that not every battle has to be fought with weapons.

Though since most battles will be against geth, you cant really talk sense to a murderous machine.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll