Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 cpu overclocking
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
cpu overclocking - Sep 04, 2006 17:20
My newfound obsession is with my new computer, I just overclocked my AM2 X2 4600+ for the first time from 2.4 to 2.6 Ghz which brings it up to X2 5000+ and FX60 speeds. I would like to bring it up in the 2.8-3.0 range but I need better cooling if I' m to increase the voltage.

I' m considering water cooling but its actually kind of difficult to find info on water cooling unless you know what specific item you are looking for. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with water cooling and can recommend a WC system. Or even a good source of information.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: cpu overclocking - Sep 04, 2006 22:07
I know nothing about overclocking cpu' s, I can understand graphics card, as I do that myself, but do you get any extra gain from an overclocked cpu? its dangerous work and could fry your expensive cpu if your not carefull.

But I am sure you know that allready.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 4 Sep 06 14:08:01 >
Agent Ghost

RE: cpu overclocking - Sep 05, 2006 00:36
Yeah well overclocking a gpu is easy, all you have to do is download something like coolbits and your registry settings are adjusted for you in a matter of milliseconds. Then you just have to move sliders, the hardest part is not getting greedy. I overclocked my 7600gt from 580/1450 to 605/1602. A cpu is tricky because you basically have to do it manually in the bios and since every motherboard/cpu/ram is different you can' t be told exactely how to get the best results. You really have to know how to do it and experiment yourself. I actually did a very simple overclock that took two minutes and is pretty safe. I could even explain how to do a 200mhz overclock for anyone with an Athlon 64 cpu if you' re interested.

Also a 200mhz overclock may not sound like much but considering that 200mhz is often the only difference between one cpu and the next more expensive one. I essentially have a X2 5000+ without the memory divider problem. It performs like an FX 60 which is a $1000 cpu. I paid 307 for mine.

< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 4 Sep 06 16:37:40 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: cpu overclocking - Sep 05, 2006 03:48
I' ve never done water cooling but it kind of sucks because of the extra maintenance. You also have the risk of getting everything wet.

I would recommend the Freezer64 Pro for better air cooling. I have the 775 version for my core 2 duo. You may want to look into it.
Agent Ghost

RE: cpu overclocking - Sep 05, 2006 04:15
Yeah I might chicken out and go with air cooling, I was considering the zalman 9500, it seems like the best option for AM2. But I was also considering big typhoon or the scythe ninja. I' ll look into the Arctic Freezer Pro as well.

EDIT:I' ve decided to get the Thermalright Ultra-120, I just need to decide on the fan.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 7 Sep 06 4:11:29 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message