Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Dead Space Vid!!
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
Dead Space Vid!! - May 18, 2008 13:00
LINK

This is actually looking very interesting. Atmosphere looks very good in the vid. Nice to see EA doing something different.
killemoff

• Total Posts : 173
RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 18, 2008 15:58
The worst thing about this game is still the " EA factor" .

That and the story doesn' t seem at all diferent from all the horror\monster movies around. We' ll see.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 18, 2008 17:15

That and the story doesn' t seem at all diferent from all the horror\monster movies around. We' ll see.

how many movies have you seeen where a corporation in spaice visits a mining station gone totally silent.

Even Horizon is the closet one. and the only one
killemoff

• Total Posts : 173
RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 18, 2008 19:44
Look at the wider picture:

Something evil, locked away for who knows how long, turned the members of the station into bloodthirsty monsters.

Ah yes i see, never saw anything like it.
Vx Chemical

RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 18, 2008 19:54

Look at the wider picture:

Something evil, locked away for who knows how long, turned the members of the station into bloodthirsty monsters.

Ah yes i see, never saw anything like it

A guy and girl falls in love cant have eachtother

A guy wants revenge shoots everything up

A guy wants to stop a bad guy

If you want to cut everything down to a basic genre you can, you dont know what twists the game has in it. The comics released makes for a pretty nice scope of the universe. it looks pretty detailed.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 02:53

A guy and girl falls in love cant have eachtother

Dammit... I always cry in threads like this...
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 03:36
Event Horizon' s an awesome film. " Where we' re going, we don' t need eyes"

I' m not sold on this game yet though. Humans vs aliens is a very basic way of looking at it yes, but its such a huuuugely common genre that you can' t just ignore the fact. I can' t count on my hand how much it is used.

At least Event Horizon was about an undescript darkness from another dimension. It was actually disturbing - aliens are just funny.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 03:50
5/10
Vx Chemical

RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 04:36
The only thing that seems bad about the game is EA.

Check out the comic they released, they put a lot of thought into the universe. and i like the art direction
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 05:25

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

The only thing that seems bad about the game is EA.

Great, ...so a developer who has gotten so much shit for it' s yearly installments of well established franchises puts a ton of money into developing new and unconventional (risky even) IP' s and it still gets slated?

Right...
choupolo

RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 05:36
Its commendable it really is, but you can' t help feeling a company as big as EA could be more original than they have been, that they' re only pretending to take risks to shake their reputation of shamelessly cashing in and exploiting gamers where they can.

Ok so when I actually get to play Dead Space and it feels like a unique game, they might even get me to buy another Need for Speed game.

Where does your love for EA actually come from anyway Nitro? Crysis?
Vx Chemical

RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 05:42

Great, ...so a developer who has gotten so much shit for it' s yearly installments of well established franchises puts a ton of money into developing new and unconventional (risky even) IP' s and it still gets slated?

Right...

no im praising the title, while still being skeptical of EA.

I hope EA really are changing, time will tell.
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 05:44
I don' t love EA. I worship EA.

But in all seriousness, it' s the fault of the consumers that EA slipped into creating series entries on an annual basis. Look at the Need for Speed or Madden games - look at how they sell. For EA, it' s like, " well, people are buying the damn things even though they had one just like it 12 months ago... so lets do another."

ProStreet hasn' t sold well and so after trying to move away from the tuner street racing scene and take the series in a new direction, they' ve decided to go back to what the mob were expecting, back to where the money is.
Vx Chemical

RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 06:11
ofcourse its the consumers fault EA, theyve bought Fifa annually for forever.

I found the concept of annual games stupid, i hope that maybe downloads will make it obsolete in the future
choupolo

RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 06:12
But thats the exact reason I despise them. The mass market consumer is a mindless mob with money to burn, we know this already. How can something mindless bear any responsibility? Sure theres money to be made and they' re a business and you can' t make games if you' re broke. Do they expect gamers like me to respect them for that?

I suppose they dont care about garnering respect. For example, if they' d stuck with ProStreet, if thats what they really wanted to create, they could make it truly awesome and make people like it, instead of go back to default when it doesn' t make money.

EA were great, they used to stand up for developers, but that was kinda negated when they started eating them for breakfast.

When Kojima says stuff like games are not art because developers only create games as a service to the consumer, only produce stuff that they think people will like, its disheartening to hear. But he' s right mostly and EA are champions of that philosophy.

If EA were to change they would start making games that they want to make, and try to convince us how to appreciate it. They need to start making art.

So far Dead Space feels like they are servicing the mob, and not creating art. But this is based on a few preview vids, and I could be totally wrong once I play the game.
Vx Chemical

RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 06:23

So far Dead Space feels like they are servicing the mob, and not creating art. But this is based on a few preview vids, and I could be totally wrong once I play the game

Dead Space is as much pleasing the mob as GTAVI maybe even less´, and GTA is a masterpiece
choupolo

RE: Dead Space Vid!! - May 19, 2008 07:34
The number of small details Rockstar have put into GTAIV that makes it a masterpiece, didn' t have to be there, and we never expected them to be there. The mission structure is pretty much the same though and you can of course still go around car-jacking and having sex with then beating up prostitutes, and all that is maybe where they' ve serviced expecations, but thats probably what I' m enjoying the least tbh. I just like to drive around, or get taxi' d around and spot new details every time.

I' m not saying that level of detail won' t be there based on a few vids, but it pales in comparison of course. I did quite like the comments from the art director though about how he used dentist lights and low level fluorescent signs from underground stations, because we' re subconsciously uncomfortable with things like that. I want to hear more of that kinda stuff.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll