Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Can anyone recommend a good HDTV?
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 09, 2006 05:46
My preferences:

Price: Under or Around $1,000 (US)
Size: Anything 26 inches +

I' ll be using it with my Xbox360 and maybe as a PC Moniter. I could careless if movies and TV shows come in HD. Doesn' t matter if its CRT, DLP, LCD, Plasma, w/e.

I checked out various websites, but don' t really know much about the details or what they even mean.

Any help would be very much appreciated. THANKS!
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 09, 2006 06:28
I doubt you' ll find any LCD, Plasma or DLP that are 26" + in that price range. CRT is what you' ll prolly have to get.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 09, 2006 07:24
Ultimate Electronics

CompUSA

CompUSA

But Like I said I dunno if they any good. since I know nothing about them. Moniter...TV w/e just somthing to display my 360 and/or PC on.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 8 Feb 06 23:27:24 >
locopuyo

RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 09, 2006 08:29
the N2750w is an excellent TV. My roomate has that. I would recomend getting the VGA adapter because for 360 for it though. Looks much much sharper when you use that with it.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 10, 2006 05:18
...I' m not an expert but:

LCD - Excels in displaying sharp, flicker free static images. Strong contrast and brightness performance. Very limited viewing angles though....
...obviously best suited for personal computer use. Poor performance when viewing films (Watch 5 minutes of your favourite DVD on your TV, the put same film in your computer and you' ll see the performance drop) ...also why all your movie downloads always look crap, no matter how high they say the recorded resolution is. Energy Saving. Expensive. Tiny.

Plasma - For lovers of film and videogames only. Can produce truly fantastic moving images, if you get the right model. Stick with well known past masters (Philips, LG, Toshiba etc), although the general rule is still " you get what you pay for" .... HUGE screen sizes. Wall & Ceiling mountable. Light. Energy Saving. Stylish in a impress-girls kind of way. Expensive in a well-spent-money kind of way.

CRT - Experts say still best overall ability (100hrz models only?)... but has HUGE bulk and power consumption..... ...cheap....

Projector - if your body needs sunlight, pass up....

Rear projection - crap. expensive. bulky.

... DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU BUY... ...or your likely to be wasting your cash....
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 9 Feb 06 21:18:38 >
locopuyo

RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 10, 2006 06:42
[sarcasm]Thank you for the valuable information you regurgitated from a google search that lead you to a web site that hasn' t been updated for 3 years[/sarcasm]
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 10, 2006 09:59
...my information tends to be my own...

...good attempt at hurting my feelings though..
locopuyo

RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 10, 2006 11:38
your infomration is 3 years old

p' zowned!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 10, 2006 14:07
But it is still relevant today.
locopuyo

RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 10, 2006 15:04

LCD - Excels in displaying sharp, flicker free static images. Strong contrast and brightness performance. Very limited viewing angles though....
...obviously best suited for personal computer use. Poor performance when viewing films (Watch 5 minutes of your favourite DVD on your TV, the put same film in your computer and you' ll see the performance drop) ...also why all your movie downloads always look crap, no matter how high they say the recorded resolution is. Energy Saving. Expensive. Tiny.

Strong contrast and brightness performance? ROFL thats one of LCDs bad areas.
Very limited viewing angle. Not true at all anymore.
Uh, poor performance in movies? I' m asuming you mean blur. Which is not an issue anymore at all.
Joe Redifer

RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 10, 2006 17:10
It' s definitely an issue on my friend' s 60 inch Sony LCD TV which is about 6 months old. The viewing angle is pretty good, though.
locopuyo

RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 11, 2006 14:56
60 inches is really big for LCD. What was the response time on it? I' m guessing 16 ms or more. 8 ms or better there is no blurring or ghosting. 8 ms is 120 fps, but when they say 8 ms that is the fastest response time and the slowest usually is twice that, 16ms. Which is 60 fps and still fast enough you won' t see blurring.

The viewsonic one he was looking at is 8 ms response time and I' ve never seen any blurring or ghosting or anything like that. And the viewing angle is very good, looks the exact same as sitting straight on when I' m sitting at my computer and that is about a 160 degree angle.

The vast majority of LCD tvs produced now have 8ms or better response time.

Like I said before
p' zownd!
Joe Redifer

RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 11, 2006 15:42
16ms is 60 frames per second? Actually it would be a little faster. I don' t know what the response time was. I know that my computer monitor is LCD and it kicks all amount of ass. But for TVs I really don' t like anything with a fixed resolution. And LCD TVs, no matter what their response time, still run at 60Hz. My computer monitor runs at 60Hz. There is no option (or need) to increase it due to the LCD after-effects. No strobing. But the Sony TV had a native resolution of 768 lines, which is completely non-standard and EVERYTHING must be up or downscaled to that resolution, even 720p. As a result, the images look a little blurry. If the TV had a native resolution of 720p instead of 768p, it would look MUCH sharper on 720p material, anyway.
locopuyo

RE: Can anyone recommend a good HDTV? - Feb 11, 2006 19:32
Yeah the fixed resolution is the only thing I don' t like. It is like that for plasma and DLP too, actually everything but CRT.
They always have the LCD at 1368x768 because that ends being best for displaying all resolutions decently. Although I think it is stupid they should just go straight 1280x720 so you can have 720p look awesome.

Anyways, you can solve that for xbox 360 by getting the monitor adapter.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll